2018 Titan XD Pro 4X

Gotta Love It

Hello all,
I recently purchased a new Titan XD Pro4X (gas). It is big, long, and heavy, but met my needs for space. About the most this truck will ever see is a damp pasture or parking area and gravel roads of varying quality. Around here even most of the forest service roads are well graded gravel.

I do intend to do a lot of backroad exploration with some overnight camping thrown in. I’m a mountain biker so a good bit of this will be at trailheads or recreation area campgrounds with adjacent trails.

My old truck is an ‘04 Titan 2WD and I got fairly creative with bed rack options with the OEM overhead racks for storage/canoe/awning and bed height yakima crossbars for bikes that I adopted for the bed channels.
I’ll probably do something similar with this truck as needed. The tracks are a little wider on this truck but I think I can shim and adapt as needed to get the overhead rack and toolbox to fit.

I’m interested to see if anyone else has one of these trucks and what kind of setups you have. Also interested to see what you guys think about the truck as a more serious platform. Mine will be doing a lot of daily driver duty with the aforementioned backroad exploration and base camp duties thrown in as time permits, so no serious mods are planned.

Trying to attach a pic—will see if it works...

broncobowsher

Adventurer
Stout truck. Like the gas better than the diesel. Good choice. Little big for my use, but if it matches you it is a good choice.

Gotta Love It

Did a little exploring on some semi local backroads yesterday. It is definitely big, but I used to run out of room pretty quickly in my old king cab. Didn’t want to give up any bed space and the extra room inside with the crew cab is nice. I also occasionally tow a fairly heavy boat.

Attachments

• 52963546-3C15-4F08-8CC7-7431E2EA3E7A.jpeg
    52963546-3C15-4F08-8CC7-7431E2EA3E7A.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 71
  • CD881299-8342-4FB9-9FB3-DF9413FE6987.jpeg
    CD881299-8342-4FB9-9FB3-DF9413FE6987.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 74
  • 0E211340-1259-4A3D-8BB9-943CB705E1C5.jpeg
    0E211340-1259-4A3D-8BB9-943CB705E1C5.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 78

Triplesnake

Adventurer
Good looking truck. I'd like to see how you adapted the awning to the overhead rack if you have any pics of that. I had played with some idead of how to do that, but it looks like it would have to be spaced out a bit so the awning doesn't hit the back of the cab. Too bad the bed on the new ones are wider. I had wondered about that since my titan is aging, and I also use the overhead rack for kayaks.

Gotta Love It

Here are a couple of pics of my old truck as well as a close up of one of the brackets I’m using on the racks. I attached two L shaped brackets (one on each rack) with two yakima mighty mounts per bracket. I forget the model number of mighty mount but they are pretty much specific to our racks and out of production of course. I think I have 8 of them total. I can find the number if you want to try to look for some old stock. I may try to mount directly to the gear basket though. The way I did it before the awning ends up being supported by the racks but has created a bad spot on the zipper.

The good news is that I was able to put one of the overhead racks in the new truck yesterday. Just testing it out for fit, but it seemed to work just fine. It is definitely wider but apparently not enough to make a difference, at least with these racks.

E735CBE8-09DE-405F-8EB4-B15B23532C11.jpegB1C264BF-72C9-4C63-B7B9-6C65F62B900B.jpeg4746E5FF-F1FF-4935-8049-A2E1651481EE.jpeg

Gotta Love It

All mixed driving right now, but I have been averaging 16.4. Based on what it is showing when I cut off the truck after a longer than normal (at this point no more than 25 miles) highway trip, I feel pretty confident I can get 18 or so on a longer highway trip. Might need to be pretty flat and keep it under 70 though.

dstefan

I’m interested to see if anyone else has one of these trucks and what kind of setups you have. Also interested to see what you guys think about the truck as a more serious platform. Mine will be doing a lot of daily driver duty with the aforementioned backroad exploration and base camp duties thrown in as time permits, so no serious mods are planned.
I’m going to get a FWC Hawk and replace my well loved Tacoma to carry it. The Titan XD (pro4x, King Cab) has become a finalist along with the F250, largely due to the rich feature set + better payload than 1/2 tons and much shorter wheelbase at 139 vs the F250 Space Cab @ 149”. I Would love to wheel it to near the degree I’ve been able to the Tacoma, thus the interest in the Kingcab 139” wb, but I get the size trade offs.

Sure would like to hear the OPs update or other’s experiences with reliability, mod-ability and capability. I’ve owned two Nissans (01 Maxima for 16 years, and early 80s Kingcab mini pickup), and while really happy with design, functionality, and capabilities, thought the both had too many reliability issues, so I really interested in that.

I’m going to get a FWC Hawk and replace my well loved Tacoma to carry it. The Titan XD (pro4x, King Cab) has become a finalist along with the F250, largely due to the rich feature set + better payload than 1/2 tons and much shorter wheelbase at 139 vs the F250 Space Cab @ 149”. I Would love to wheel it to near the degree I’ve been able to the Tacoma, thus the interest in the Kingcab 139” wb, but I get the size trade offs.

Sure would like to hear the OPs update or other’s experiences with reliability, mod-ability and capability. I’ve owned two Nissans (01 Maxima for 16 years, and early 80s Kingcab mini pickup), and while really happy with design, functionality, and capabilities, thought the both had too many reliability issues, so I really interested in that.
Wife and I have a Titan XD Pro-4X King Cab gas with an Overland Explorer Camp-X truck camper mounted on it.

Payload is about 2150lb on the door sticker I think.
Gas mileage is about 17-18mpg without the camper, that's on 87 with lots of mountains in Colorado.
With the loaded camper we're 13-14mpg.

I wish I'd got a photo from a week or so ago where I was navigating my wife back down from our camp spot, I think she was one wheel off the ground at one point. It's a lot bigger truck than Tacoma's though and the turning circle isn't great.

dstefan

Wife and I have a Titan XD Pro-4X King Cab gas with an Overland Explorer Camp-X truck camper mounted on it.

Payload is about 2150lb on the door sticker I think.
Gas mileage is about 17-18mpg without the camper, that's on 87 with lots of mountains in Colorado.
With the loaded camper we're 13-14mpg.

I wish I'd got a photo from a week or so ago where I was navigating my wife back down from our camp spot, I think she was one wheel off the ground at one point. It's a lot bigger truck than Tacoma's though and the turning circle isn't great.

Yeah, I’m kinda resigned to being a bit more limited than the Tacoma, but imagine doing that same maneuver with the additional 10” of wheelbase for an F250??

Would love to see a pic of your XD with the camper. Those Xs are nice rigs. How many miles on the truck and any issues so far? The MPG figures aren’t bad considering (and in comparison to an F250!)

Mako1114

Adventurer
Congrats on your new Titan! I really like the new body style. I have a moderately built 2011 Nissan Titan Pro-4x that I bought new and now has 96K miles. The truck has been a great vehicle with the only exceptions being the poor fuel economy and substandard paint (galaxy black in the south has peeled on hood and roof). I really shouldn't complain about the fuel economy though as I primarily drive in-town and it is lifted with 35" ATs has an ARB front bumper with Warn M12000, Ruenel heavy duty rear bumper and fiberglass topper. My plan is to give it to my son in 2 years when he is old enough to drive. His plan is to immediately remove the old-man topper. :ROFLMAO:

Cheers

Gotta Love It

I haven’t checked this thread lately and just saw the responses. I am at 19k miles currently and in my opinion the truck has been flawless. It is still bone stock but I have played around with bed utility a bit. My bike rack normally lives on the back but I recently adapted the toolbox that was on my old Titan to go on the new one. It is the Nissan accessory toolbox designed for the narrower utilitracks of the Gen 1 (plus some of the original hardware had seized up and had to be cut out) so I had to do some drilling to use new 3/8” bolts to fasten to unistrut spring nuts in the track. I actually prefer the new attachment better than the knobs that were in it before and will probably remove the toolbox more often as a result. The bad thing is that the weight is supported 100% by the attachment bolts and the rollers because the flanges that sat in the track are not quite wide enough to make contact. I think it is still plenty strong though.

I have also attached a vertical 3 fishing rod holder to the track. I had it in the old truck too and it works great. I haven’t done anything with the overhead rack yet but I might need to carry the canoe soon so will probably start playing around with it.

As far as the truck goes, I’m loving the size and capacities although it’s a little difficult to line up parking places correctly. I now wish I had gotten the 360 degree cameras but the backup camera and parking sensors work pretty good. The sensors will start going off in tall grass or approaching a steep hill off-road. They are easy to disengage but I usually don’t do it until it starts beeping and I know why—the approach angle is pretty bad. That’s usually not an issue for my purposes though.

The truck rides good and feels very stable at highway speeds and in the rain. I have only pulled a light utility trailer with ATV or lawnmower but it pulls well. Haven’t had a chance to take the boat out but I may just hook up and drag it around a little so I can see how it does with a bigger load. Just like the Gen 1 there is no shortage of power but the mpg’s go down quickly so I baby it a lot. I’m still getting about 16.5 mixed driving, reducing to about 14 with the little trailer and with the occasional 19 on a long highway trip.

The only off-road stuff I have done is on an extremely muddy “gravel” county road and in our pasture. No issues at all even when relatively damp, as should be expected with where I have taken it. I did pull a broken down tractor up a fairly steep, grassy hill in 4 Low with no issue (didn’t use the rear locker).

The space inside the truck is good. I have put most of the stuff I used to keep in the toolbox in the under seat storage. This is small stuff I’m keeping in small plastic boxes that was better suited to inside storage anyway. The storage box is great but pretty limited on size. I like that you can fold over the top and create a flat floor. There is also a lot of room behind the rear seat. I can put a couple of soft rifle cases back there and put the seat back up. I also keep an ARB recovery strap back there (since it is currently unused and clean) and various other small items. I’ve got a Rigid tray that I’ve been keeping in one of the rear floorboards for dirty things or stuff I don’t want rolling around on the floor. The tray is a part of the interlocking, wheeled tool storage system which I have started using for camping equipment. I can fit a bare minimum camping outfit in the three main boxes—cooking stuff in the small one and tent, sleeping pad and bag in the two larger ones. They can all interlock and fit inside but they usually ride in the back. The tray can be locked in and incorporated in case of wet gear that needs some airflow. If I’m by myself I’ll often put a Yeti Roadie in the passenger front floorboard. I’ve been keeping it going and cold for about a month now by rotating 4 good size ice packs out of the freezer every morning. Obviously I couldn’t do that when away from home.
I do miss some of the little storage nooks and crannies that were on the Gen 1 but the way this interior is layed out the truck usually looks cleaner!

Anyway, that’s a lot of information but hopefully it is useful for anyone looking at the Titan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier