2018 Ram Power Wagon

GreggNY

Looks like you were able to snag a longer ladder? From the sound of it you're getting used to the new RTT, so maybe it's just getting acclimated to it.

Great photos, the one with the boat on the lake has a great vibe to it, if only the guy would sit down haha.

Roofnest said their longer ladders were supposed to be arriving at the end of this month and they’re going to contact me when they do. I bought the ladder in the pics off of amazon and have just been using a couple Velcro straps to secure it to where the regular ladder would hook on. Works totally fine and is secure.

The ease of set up/take down and the small foot print are big for me. The only other tent option I was considering was the ikamper and both places that I camped so far would’ve been tougher with a big fold out footprint like that. The extra space inside of the ikamper would definitely be nice, but the huge open windows of the Roofnest were awesome in the warmer weather this past weekend. So nothing is perfect I guess, but I’m happy with it for now.

And I thought the same thing about the guy in the boat when I zoomed in! lol

UglyViking

Everything is a give and take, sounds like it's working out well though. I love the idea of a RTT and the simplicity of just tossing it open, really thinking about it.

Great photos as always man. I don't know if you've got a print store but you should consider it.

GreggNY

Everything is a give and take, sounds like it's working out well though. I love the idea of a RTT and the simplicity of just tossing it open, really thinking about it.

Great photos as always man. I don't know if you've got a print store but you should consider it.

Overall, I am really liking the RTT system so far. And thanks for the compliment. Photography is just a hobby as of now but we’ll see where it goes down the line

GreggNY

I was up in the Adirondacks (Schroon lake) this weekend and the colors are amazing this year.Having my 16 yr old drive the power wagon was a bit nerve racking

Looks like you were a little Southeast of me. I went from Indian Lake up to Horseshoe Lake, and then back down to Moose River Plains. The colors weren't bad anywhere!

GreggNY

First casualty on the truck. I was planning another trip so got under the truck to do a quick check over of things, and found a hole ripped into the driver's side rear Bilstein. I really have no idea when or how this happened, but would explain that I could feel the tent on top of the truck more recently. There was definitely a bit more sway and wobble in the rear end, which would make sense considering this shock was doing absolutely nothing that a shock is supposed to do. I was told by a couple local dealers that the factory Bilsteins were all on backorder and the closest dealer showing one in stock was up in Vermont. Anyway, OK4WD in NJ got me a set of rear Fox 2.0s in a couple days, and I ran down to pick them up ASAP.

DSC02668.jpg

Out with the old, in with the new.
DSC02670.jpg

Install was straight forward aside from the top nut on both shocks being rusted to hell already. After a few drenchings in PB blaster, the bad shock came out. The passenger side top nut got most of the way off and then was enough of a pain that the saw-zall finished the job. The Fox's feel really good, and a little stiffer than the Bilsteins. They definitely do a better job of controlling the truck, and it feels more planted in the rear. The dampening controls bumps and rebounds without excessive extra bounce that I always felt with the Bilsteins. I'll more than likely be ordering the front replacements very soon too.

DSC02671.jpg

Last edited:

Antwon412

First casualty on the truck. I was planning another trip so got under the truck to do a quick check over of things, and found a hole ripped into the driver's side rear Bilstein. I really have no idea when or how this happened, but would explain that I could feel the tent on top of the truck more recently. There was definitely a bit more sway and wobble in the rear end, which would make sense considering this shock was doing absolutely nothing that a shock is supposed to do. I was told by a couple local dealers that the factory Bilsteins were all on backorder and the closest dealer showing one in stock was up in Vermont. Anyway, OK4WD in NJ got me a set of rear Fox 2.0s in a couple days, and I ran down to pick them up ASAP.

Out with the old, in with the new.

Install was straight forward aside from the top nut on both shocks being rusted to hell already. After a few drenchings in PB blaster, the bad shock came out. The passenger side top nut got most of the way off and then was enough of a pain that the saw-zall finished the job. The Fox's feel really good, and a little stiffer than the Bilsteins. They definitely do a better job of controlling the truck, and it feels more planted in the rear. The dampening controls bumps and rebounds without excessive extra bounce that I always felt with the Bilsteins. I'll more than likely be ordering the front replacements very soon too.

they look longer than stock. Did they provide any lift for you?
I have a 2020 Rebel, currently with a leveling kit on the front. Just a 2 inch spacer. I’d like to get some better suspension all the way around. Lift up the rear maybe an inch over stock and then some thing that will keep that 2 inch lift I have in the front, but a suspension lift and not just a spacer.

I like Fox, but I’m also looking at Icon and King. And CarlI has a set up coming out for the 2019 and 2020 1500s that might be the way to go.

GreggNY

I’ve had the same thing happen before, must have hit something on the highway.

I think you’re right. I don’t remember any situations off road where I could’ve hit it hard. And whatever did hit it must’ve been moving real fast to peel the shock body open like that. Guessing something got kicked up into it. Ah well, good motivation to upgrade

GreggNY

they look longer than stock. Did they provide any lift for you?
I have a 2020 Rebel, currently with a leveling kit on the front. Just a 2 inch spacer. I’d like to get some better suspension all the way around. Lift up the rear maybe an inch over stock and then some thing that will keep that 2 inch lift I have in the front, but a suspension lift and not just a spacer.

I like Fox, but I’m also looking at Icon and King. And CarlI has a set up coming out for the 2019 and 2020 1500s that might be the way to go.

No extra lift on my truck. The Fox looks longer in the pic because the broken Bilstein is completely deflated with no pressure in it. I’m sure you can order shocks that would give you a little lift though

Explorerinil

Observer
I think you’re right. I don’t remember any situations off road where I could’ve hit it hard. And whatever did hit it must’ve been moving real fast to peel the shock body open like that. Guessing something got kicked up into it. Ah well, good motivation to upgrade
I’m guessing the front tire kicked something up at higher speed and it tossed it into your rear shock. I had a front tire throw a 1/2 bolt right through a toyo mt once.

GreggNY

So I decided to go a different direction with the truck. The cap/RTT setup was convenient, had good storage, and was a super easy setup for camping, but there were some negatives for me. The biggest thing that I didn't love about that setup was having to leave it on all the time. From posts back and forth on here with @UglyViking, I knew he was interested in the Falcon RTT and reached out to him. We struck up a deal and he made the few hour drive for a simple fork lift swap of the whole cap/RTT setup off of my truck and onto his. Now my truck is back to being an actual truck and it feels pretty good. I'm going to keep an eye on the classifieds, and all options open for a new type of setup. I ordered and installed a Bakflip F1 bed cover for now, and I'm really liking the clean look.

DSC08153.jpg

DSC08152.jpg

Antwon412

I have a soft topper on my rebel. Really couldn’t be happier with it. One of my favorite purchases so far.
Provides protection in the winter time but I can roll it up when I need to. And then just last weekend I had to move some tall items, took about two seconds for me to fold it up against the front of the truck and have full use of my bed. And I can remove the whole thing to my truck and less than five minutes.

And I think it looks pretty ************** as well!

B23B086E-B165-49EF-994D-2FE1AE2EF108.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles