2018 Ram 3500 Expedition Family Adventure Vehicle

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
my good friend Graeme macphearson from GoFast campers regularly makes delivery trips to the greater LA area and he said hes seen it happen a few times

Kingsize24

Very good conversation. I know for the Cummins anyway, it is rated for 350k+. With slightly better maintenance intervals I personally feel it is a 500k engine. Reliability of the accessories at 200K would probably be more suspect IMO. I have a 98' 24v truck that is now farm use only, but it has 420k on it, and starts every time, and gets used HARD. I will not be deleting anything on my 18' unless the emissions gives me serious issues. I really do not like EGR, but the EGR usage is WAY down in comparison to previous generations. As far as power, there is plenty IMO. It honestly needs nothing, even in the so called "de-rated" form in the G-56.

chet6.7

Explorer
Thank you! I don't mind at all using something like that, just cutting factory wiring doesn't sit well for me personally. I honestly feel they should have provided a plug in solution, then this wouldn't even be a talking point. Appreciate you guys giving a heads up on the T.

Jason
Hi,did you ever get the license plate lights working?
Thanks.

ttengineer

Adventurer
my good friend Graeme macphearson from GoFast campers regularly makes delivery trips to the greater LA area and he said hes seen it happen a few times

You know, if we could just kick out all the native coastal Californians and replace them with southerners and mid westerners, it would be the absolute best state in the union.

It’s unbelievable how unfree California really is.

It’s honestly the only state I’ve ever been to that has check points on the state line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kingsize24

Hi,did you ever get the license plate lights working?
Thanks.

Yes and no. I have them plugged in, yet I got a lamp out warning due to the LED's. I am currently looking into resistors to splice inline to trick the vehicle. Another option that is one I was looking into, is using the upfitter options and turn off the lamp out by looping the grounds in the upfitter wiring. Both are valid ways to do it, but I've been working too much lately to fool with it. Things should slow down soon to allow for it. I'll post up once I get it completed.

frink84

You know, if we could just kick out all the native coastal Californians and replace them with southerners and mid westerners, it would be the absolute best state in the union.

It’s unbelievable how unfree California really is.

It’s honestly the only state I’ve ever been to that has check points on the state line.

hey, some of us grew up on the coast of California! But then again, I left and went to Texas....

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Very good conversation. I know for the Cummins anyway, it is rated for 350k+. With slightly better maintenance intervals I personally feel it is a 500k engine. Reliability of the accessories at 200K would probably be more suspect IMO. I have a 98' 24v truck that is now farm use only, but it has 420k on it, and starts every time, and gets used HARD. I will not be deleting anything on my 18' unless the emissions gives me serious issues. I really do not like EGR, but the EGR usage is WAY down in comparison to previous generations. As far as power, there is plenty IMO. It honestly needs nothing, even in the so called "de-rated" form in the G-56.

Could not agree more, most late model 6.7 ISB engines, particularly the latest ones that are using less EGR, if cared for and driven well, will likely last a very long time. Drive it like a car, maybe not sometimes. In many cases it will be the third or fourth owner that needs to do major repairs/rebuilds.

Yeah the so-called, de-rated G56/manual tranny versions run strong, and don't drive/feel like they are 'torque managed'. Remember when a 'Cummins 350' was a semi-truck engine rating?

I have two late model 2500 Cummins/G56 trucks, a 2014 and 2017. Need more power? Occasionally I put my foot in it and use all of what it has... goes fast, even with a maximum load! Fun too.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
That’s certainly true. My guys have been having a hell of a time keeping a lot of our equipment running on the majority or our sites all due to EPA garbage. I also get the occasional dumba$$ that puts fuel in the DEF tank ... that’s fun.

It has always been my recommendation to delete a truck the first opportunity you have though.

Hell I’ve seen guys do it to brand new trucks and not take anything off. Just disconnect the sensors and tune it. Then if they need to take it in, they reconnect everything and tune it back to stock, just in case the dealer wants to be a problem.

But like someone above said, some dealers don’t care.

Either way, my recommendation, delete a diesel the first chance you get. But buy a quality tune from a big name company like PPEI or RaceMe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting, just disconnect the sensors, but not delete anything... curious how it drives, what else changes if anything, and what warning lights are illuminated (and if there are any repercussions)?

ttengineer

Adventurer
Interesting, just disconnect the sensors, but not delete anything... curious how it drives, what else changes if anything, and what warning lights are illuminated (and if there are any repercussions)?

The guys I’ve seen that do it that way don’t get any codes. If I remember you have to remove the spring in the EGR actuator valve though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kingsize24

Agreed!

And yes, the Cummins 350 is IMO still plenty of power. I honstly have ZERO need for a 900-1000 ft/lb truck. I'll take the 650 and the added reliability please.

Yep, Hit 29-30lb of boost and shift hard at 3200! Still goes like stink to me! :p

Could not agree more, most late model 6.7 ISB engines, particularly the latest ones that are using less EGR, if cared for and driven well, will likely last a very long time. Drive it like a car, maybe not sometimes. In many cases it will be the third or fourth owner that needs to do major repairs/rebuilds.

Yeah the so-called, de-rated G56/manual tranny versions run strong, and don't drive/feel like they are 'torque managed'. Remember when a 'Cummins 350' was a semi-truck engine rating?

I have two late model 2500 Cummins/G56 trucks, a 2014 and 2017. Need more power? Occasionally I put my foot in it and use all of what it has... goes fast, even with a maximum load! Fun too.

Explorerinil

Observer
Agreed!

And yes, the Cummins 350 is IMO still plenty of power. I honstly have ZERO need for a 900-1000 ft/lb truck. I'll take the 650 and the added reliability please.

Yep, Hit 29-30lb of boost and shift hard at 3200! Still goes like stink to me! :p
Yeah now that I have 900 ftlb for torque, I wonder how I ever made it with my old 04 with 555 ftlb for torque. ?

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Agreed!

Yep, I don't live up there at the top, but also don't hesitate to use all of it, and occasionally bouce the needle off the rev limiter.. ??‍♂️????

That looks fantastic! Id love to see it with the dual swing tire carrier. Im interested in doing that with my 2500 cummins.

Attachments

• dodge3.jpg
    dodge3.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 156

Kingsize24

Yeah now that I have 900 ftlb for torque, I wonder how I ever made it with my old 04 with 555 ftlb for torque. ?

LOL... Go figure right! Don't know HOW them folks with the ole' 12V ever made it!

Yep, I don't live up there at the top, but also don't hesitate to use all of it, and occasionally bouce the needle off the rev limiter.. ??‍♂️????

Me either, but it is fun to blow the cob webs out now and again.

That looks fantastic! Id love to see it with the dual swing tire carrier. Im interested in doing that with my 2500 cummins.

Thank you! Here you go...

20180813_194401.jpg20180812_131849.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles