2018 Ram 3500 Expedition Family Adventure Vehicle

the sPOD HD is totally worth it. I love mine to the moon and back.

The camera relo kit that EX1 offers relocates the camera down to the licence plate, so you're effectively losing 2 feet in height. that really messes with your viewing angle on the screen on whats behind you. that, coupled with the loss of the sensors really sucks.

When i move to the full GFC topper this fall, im going to test relocate the camera to the top of the topper (up another 2 feet) and see if it offers an improved view. if the view improvement is enough to counteract the loss of the sensors, i might put the bumper back on.

Have you looked at the C&C camera relocation kits that Ram makes? Ram has a camera kit for Cab and Chassis trucks that do not have tailgates. The cameras are for sale on Amazon. The angle is never going to be like the factory tailgate camera location but what do you expect, you mounted a tire to the tailgate.

I'm not sure what the wiring hang up is, if you install a truck cap with integrated locks you have to "molest" the factory wiring for the locks and tail lights. I currently have a Hitch Carrier and I patched the auxiliary license plate lights into the factory harness, it took about 20 minutes and the factory lights still work.

Phreak480

Army Guy
For lighting wiring I find it best to tap at the trailer wiring harness as it can be easily replaced. Sometimes you can even get a kit that would give you a 2nd trailer connector port and ti plugs in with factory connectors between the harness and your exisitng port and then you can do your connections to it and not worry about touching any main harness.

I'd sure love an AEV rear bumper to become an option, I've been eyeing the front as an eventual upgrade for my cummins.

ttengineer

Adventurer
Have any of y’all seen AEVs rear bumper. It looks like poop. It’s just an uglier version of their Wrangler bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kingsize24

Dang,I missed this issue,please post your results.
Thanks.

Will do. After a conversation with them I am confident it will. I will report back results.

Thanks for the info, I just ordered everything you listed, can’t wait to clean up a wiring mess I got now.

I look forward to seeing it in your thread.

the sPOD HD is totally worth it. I love mine to the moon and back.

The camera relo kit that EX1 offers relocates the camera down to the licence plate, so you're effectively losing 2 feet in height. that really messes with your viewing angle on the screen on whats behind you. that, coupled with the loss of the sensors really sucks.

When i move to the full GFC topper this fall, im going to test relocate the camera to the top of the topper (up another 2 feet) and see if it offers an improved view. if the view improvement is enough to counteract the loss of the sensors, i might put the bumper back on.

I agree on all accounts. I have a breakout that I will be using on my topper as well. Although I will be using an aftermarket camera to gain some definition.

20180621_141250.jpg

This sucks they sell a bumper with sensor holes and it doesn’t work, I’m patiently waiting for the bugs to get worked out and their customer service to improve so I can order one. I ordered my truck with a backup cam and sensors, going without them now is not an option.

Maby AEV will get their bumper to the market and have functioning backup cam, sensors and proper license plate lights that don’t require you to molest your factory wireing.

I wouldn't trade this bumper for an AEV on looks alone, but I would like to see how better they integrate the OEM parts.

Kingsize24

Have you looked at the C&C camera relocation kits that Ram makes? Ram has a camera kit for Cab and Chassis trucks that do not have tailgates. The cameras are for sale on Amazon. The angle is never going to be like the factory tailgate camera location but what do you expect, you mounted a tire to the tailgate.

I'm not sure what the wiring hang up is, if you install a truck cap with integrated locks you have to "molest" the factory wiring for the locks and tail lights. I currently have a Hitch Carrier and I patched the auxiliary license plate lights into the factory harness, it took about 20 minutes and the factory lights still work.

Yes, but you loose the tailgate lock if you utilize the C&C wiring.

The wire splicing isn't a hang up IMO, it is a no go all around. I try to NEVER splice into factory wiring. JMHO

because 'good enough' is ****************

100%

For lighting wiring I find it best to tap at the trailer wiring harness as it can be easily replaced. Sometimes you can even get a kit that would give you a 2nd trailer connector port and ti plugs in with factory connectors between the harness and your exisitng port and then you can do your connections to it and not worry about touching any main harness.

I'd sure love an AEV rear bumper to become an option, I've been eyeing the front as an eventual upgrade for my cummins.

Not a bad idea for those that don't already have that plug occupied by the 5th wheel plug under the bed. Thanks!

The wire splicing isn't a hang up IMO, it is a no go all around. I try to NEVER splice into factory wiring. JMHO

Some people just want to be unhappy I guess. If wiring weren't a "no-go" you could buy the jumper harness for the tailgate (connects the main harness to the tailgate and camera; what you see going into the tailgate) and wire the camera plug closer to the frame rail. The camera has it's own plug so the tailgate lock would still work. You'd also still have the OE tailgate jumper harness left over to keep and cherish in your spare parts bin. Sadly this is just a "no-go" though.

Kingsize24

Sadly. :cry:

Some people just want to be unhappy I guess. If wiring weren't a "no-go" you could buy the jumper harness for the tailgate (connects the main harness to the tailgate and camera; what you see going into the tailgate) and wire the camera plug closer to the frame rail. The camera has it's own plug so the tailgate lock would still work. You'd also still have the OE tailgate jumper harness left over to keep and cherish in your spare parts bin. Sadly this is just a "no-go" though.

Phreak480

Army Guy

100%

Not a bad idea for those that don't already have that plug occupied by the 5th wheel plug under the bed. Thanks!

Actually the great thing is if you get one of the conversion harnesses that lets you add a bed mounted 7 way plug for a 5th wheel setup it is designed to "T" between the factory harness and the factory 7 way plug, so even if you had such a setup already you could add a second one even and just tap the wires you need. Heck if I were mounting a topper on the truck i'd probably run that harness up in to a wirign block inside the bed in the driver rear corner so i could easily access it later. for example here are some wiring kits the plug between the factory harness and connector. https://www.etrailer.com/t1-2018_Ram_3500.htm i plan to use one when i hook up one of those tailgate light bar things next year.

Kingsize24

Thank you! I don't mind at all using something like that, just cutting factory wiring doesn't sit well for me personally. I honestly feel they should have provided a plug in solution, then this wouldn't even be a talking point. Appreciate you guys giving a heads up on the T.

Jason

Actually the great thing is if you get one of the conversion harnesses that lets you add a bed mounted 7 way plug for a 5th wheel setup it is designed to "T" between the factory harness and the factory 7 way plug, so even if you had such a setup already you could add a second one even and just tap the wires you need. Heck if I were mounting a topper on the truck i'd probably run that harness up in to a wirign block inside the bed in the driver rear corner so i could easily access it later. for example here are some wiring kits the plug between the factory harness and connector. https://www.etrailer.com/t1-2018_Ram_3500.htm i plan to use one when i hook up one of those tailgate light bar things next year.

Scoutman

Explorer
I use that T harness in my 06. It's worked out well. Back when I didn't have the rack on and I still pulled a gooseneck trailer it gave me a convenient place to plug in but now that the truck is set up for more camping related activities I use it as my primary power for the rack and RTT.

I agree with you though, I don''t like to hack a factory harness unless absolutely necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles