2018 Ram 3500 Expedition Family Adventure Vehicle

Kingsize24

I can't stand running lights on the cab personally, I've made a point of making sure all of my HD trucks didn't have any until the PW came along. I wish there were an option to delete them in the PW build. Crazy that you have two of those trucks, nice!

I've always been the opposite. Love, love, love me some cab running lights. Must be the East Texas hillbilly coming out in me. ;)

Damn, I have Ram envy. I’m going with a 2500 on the next build. Gotta rock the 1500 Tradesmen for now! I wish I could get my wife to learn stick-shift. Damn city girls, gotta love em.

Loving your rigs. Keep the updates coming, brother!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Will do!!! Teach that city slicker how to row son! Haha

ARB makes that bumper for all 3 of the domestic HD trucks (Gm 2500/3500, Ford Super Duty, Ram 2500/3500). But, IMHO, it looks the best on the Ram...I couldn't tell you why, but it just does.

I personally think the same for some reason. It just seems to flow well with the Ram body style. I'm personally not a huge fan of modular design generally, but this one I like.

The downside to the manual transmission is they de-tune the motor to keep from killing the transmission.

Yeah but with only 650 ft torque how can one get by? My old standard output 04 5.9 with 555 ft torque did everything I needed back then.

LOL @ Detuned. Trust me, it has plenty of power in stock form. Nothing else is needed unless you are competing in a e-penor contest.

Those 04' 5.9's were awesome... Had the best of alot of what I liked in a truck back then. I'm sure you miss it.

Kingsize24

Real nice. glad to see Ram still offering the manual.
There were no manuals in the southwest so I ordered mine through Dave Smith in late '06. You got the much simpler rear leafs which will lend themselves to a popup in the event of you getting one someday
I got the truck in 5 weeks as Christmas vacation was coming and they were cranking them out I guess.
White works for me and especially you with the summer heat. Love the manual transfercase too. Another simple plus. Enjoy!

Ram will keep my business as long as they are the only option for a Cummins and a manual. The 3500 gave me alot of the best of what I was looking for in a truck. Simpler suspension design, no TPMS nannys, stronger/different designed frame, higher carrying capacity, towing, etc. The Tradesman gave me simpler manual knobs and levers for seating etc. The whole premise for this build is overlanding while being comfy with the family, but also trying to make the truck as simple and stone reliable as possible. CAD will eventually go, along with the addition of locking hubs and solid RCV axles, no more split shaft.

We have discussed popups, but the wife and I really like the trailer we can detatch easily and leave at camp while we explore. Who knows what the future may hold however. Thanks!!!

By the way, I absolutely love your truck brother.

g man

I’ve been away for a couple days...in catching up, I was thinking the same “no bull bumper in the reflection” that was asked before. Lol.

Great rigs there!

To weigh in...

-cab lights... take em or leave em...
-Cummins and hand shaker (and super simple accommodations) have me considering a ram for the next rig as well. I’ve owned both other flavors of domestic oil burners. I actually drove (towed a trailer) with a 2018 2500 Ram with Cummins and was very pleased with both the inline’s torque curve and the rear coil springs. I am partial to diesels, however I have been considering a gas truck for the next step as well. It’s one reason I am following your build. I like to hear about yours and explorerinil’s experiences with the current Cummins powered projects.

Keep me coming! Your build looks great!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g man

As I was going back through your thread, I saw something that raised a question...

Would you mind giving some insight (opinion) of the balance masters you have? I centramatics on my F350. I am not sure how I like them. I have used balancing beads/powder/etc inside the tires in the past, and I did not like that.

Do your tires “feel” balanced 100% of the time with balance masters? Mine do not with centramatics. They remind me of when I used the “inside the tire” solutions. It seems there are certain speeds that create certain harmonics that either balance “better” or “worse”. I understand the centramatics use oil and weights(?) in them and balance masters use mercury.

I hope I’m not derailing your thread too badly, I am very interested in your view of the balance masters.

Thanks!

Kingsize24

I’ve been away for a couple days...in catching up, I was thinking the same “no bull bumper in the reflection” that was asked before. Lol.

Great rigs there!

To weigh in...

-Cummins and hand shaker (and super simple accommodations) have me considering a ram for the next rig as well. I’ve owned both other flavors of domestic oil burners. I actually drove (towed a trailer) with a 2018 2500 Ram with Cummins and was very pleased with both the inline’s torque curve and the rear coil springs. I am partial to diesels, however I have been considering a gas truck for the next step as well. It’s one reason I am following your build. I like to hear about yours and explorerinil’s experiences with the current Cummins powered projects.

Thank you! And.... keep you coming???? Hahaha ;)

As I was going back through your thread, I saw something that raised a question...

Would you mind giving some insight (opinion) of the balance masters you have? I centramatics on my F350. I am not sure how I like them. I have used balancing beads/powder/etc inside the tires in the past, and I did not like that.

Do your tires “feel” balanced 100% of the time with balance masters? Mine do not with centramatics. They remind me of when I used the “inside the tire” solutions. It seems there are certain speeds that create certain harmonics that either balance “better” or “worse”. I understand the centramatics use oil and weights(?) in them and balance masters use mercury.

I hope I’m not derailing your thread too badly, I am very interested in your view of the balance masters.

Thanks!

So I wanted to give you a true opinion so far, so I put another 1200 miles on the truck. So far I can't feel anything you describe. It feels like a well balanced 37" tire, which feels nothing like a well balanced 35, or a 33, or 31, and so on. You have to remember, especially with an MT tire, it will never feel like a factory 31 or 33 street tire. I've been on multiple terrains now, and haven't felt a peep of an unbalanced situation.

Kingsize24

So... on to the show.

My boys are finally getting old enough to go out with me on some adventures. Picked up my 4yr old and my 6yr old some new bikes to explore with me on during memorial weekend and beyond. Couldn't wait to see their faces. My 4yr old has been training wheel free for almost 2yrs now. Had them both on two wheels after 2yrs of age. Picked up a Specialized for the 6yr old and a Trek for the 4yr old. I really want to see how each brand holds up to these two. We went out today on some VERY basic easy trails to get them used to the new bikes, and make small tweaks to them as needed for their comfort. We had a great time today riding for about 4 hrs total, made a picnic at the park for lunch, then headed home for a swim. When we got home there was a package on the front doorstep! Yippee!!!
20180519_113034.jpg20180519_113027.jpg20180525_114816.jpg20180525_114650.jpg

Kingsize24

So after a nice dip in the pool, I opened the new package, and got to the install. It was only part of the order, so I used one of my kids IPads as a stand in for now just to show. RAM mount, full pedestal mount for laptop or pad. Then I purchased a Samsung Tab A 10.1 for navigation, trail topography mapping etc. I'll post up a full display pic once it arrives as well.

20180525_162952.jpg20180526_084345.jpg20180526_084354.jpg20180526_115140.jpg20180526_115224.jpg

So after a nice dip in the pool, I opened the new package, and got to the install. It was only part of the order, so I used one of my kids IPads as a stand in for now just to show. RAM mount, full pedestal mount for laptop or pad. Then I purchased a Samsung Tab A 10.1 for navigation, trail topography mapping etc. I'll post up a full display pic once it arrives as well.

View attachment 451050View attachment 451051View attachment 451052View attachment 451053View attachment 451054

I have the Ram amount base with 3” arm that I’ve been looking to mount n my Ram for the past week. Couldn’t decide on a spot. After seeing this setup I might return it and pick up the base yo7 have. Much cleaner install.

Mind listing the parts you picked.

Sent on a device from the future. Be scared, humans.

Kingsize24

I have the Ram amount base with 3” arm that I’ve been looking to mount n my Ram for the past week. Couldn’t decide on a spot. After seeing this setup I might return it and pick up the base yo7 have. Much cleaner install.

Sure. Here are the parts individually if you just need certain items. Or you can order the kit here... https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-VB-178A-SW1

20180526_205453.jpg20180526_205424.jpg20180526_205414.jpg20180526_205345.jpg20180526_205530.jpg

Sure. Here are the parts individually if you just need certain items. Or you can order the kit here... https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-VB-178A-SW1

View attachment 451081View attachment 451082View attachment 451083View attachment 451084View attachment 451085

You the man, King!

Kingsize24

So this was a royal pain in the ass to swap over, but wow was the effort worth it. Still have some minor aligning to do, but it looks absolutely fantastic. I also found the build sheet between the intercooler and the radiator, sandwiched. Pulled it out to save in the pile of other paperwork for this truck. This bumper/winch combo made the truck ride a bit smoother as well. Win win!

20180527_110107.jpg20180527_110126.jpg20180527_112744.jpg20180527_112750.jpg20180527_173253.jpg20180527_173315.jpg

g man

Great rigs there!

To weigh in...

Thank you! And.... keep you coming???? Hahaha ;)

Thanks!

So I wanted to give you a true opinion so far, so I put another 1200 miles on the truck. So far I can't feel anything you describe. It feels like a well balanced 37" tire, which feels nothing like a well balanced 35, or a 33, or 31, and so on. You have to remember, especially with an MT tire, it will never feel like a factory 31 or 33 street tire. I've been on multiple terrains now, and haven't felt a peep of an unbalanced situation.

well, that’s embarrassing... spellcheck hates me...

Balance Masters... thank you for the update. I agree, balanced 37”s are not the same feel as other sizes (smaller). I’m afraid the BM may be doing a better job than my centramatics. I’ll put some more miles on before my final conclusion.

Thanks again for sharing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles