2018 Ram 3500 Expedition Family Adventure Vehicle

Explorerinil

Observer
Sorry, auto correct lol.
You had to add the under hood light because the factory left it out. Reminds me of how on my truck they left out the cabin air filter in a similar fashion. Manufacturers cutting corners...
The underhood light is an option, when you order a truck if you don’t click that box you don’t get it. The cabin air filters come on 17 and up trucks, years below you can add it, get the kit from genos garage.

Kingsize24

Sorry, auto correct lol.
You had to add the under hood light because the factory left it out. Reminds me of how on my truck they left out the cabin air filter in a similar fashion. Manufacturers cutting corners...

The underhood light is an option, when you order a truck if you don’t click that box you don’t get it. The cabin air filters come on 17 and up trucks, years below you can add it, get the kit from genos garage.

This is kind of what I was thinking. I did however go back and look at my order form for the option, and I honestly don't see it. It may be with one of the packages I passed on, lol. And correct about the cabin filter, my understanding of it is the same as you describe though research. My 17' had it as well.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
What's your gearing with those 37's?

17mpg highway is pretty decent, all things considered. Lol, my 4runner doesn't get much better driving on the highway during the winter season.

I get about that with my auto Cummins on 36s with stock gears. Surprisingly, it went up noticeably when I got my speedo right with the AEV ProCal a month or so ago. I was shocked. The shifting improved substantially as well.

Everyone thinks smaller trucks get better mileage but they really don't. Midsize trucks on 33s get the same as half tons on 34s or diesel HDs on 35s. And these days they all get plus or minus 20mpg on the highway stock unless you have the light trucks with a diesel.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Thanks! I would appreciate that. I am almost 100% sure I will be flush mounting them into the trailer topper just under the awning, but so far really haven't pulled the trigger. But for that price, especially if they are reliable, I may go ahead and pick up 4, two for each side depending on the light output shown from your pics.

Finally got around to getting some pics. I think they'll be perfect for your application. My boat was hooked up but it gives you an idea of how bright they are. The pic of the pavement is about 10ft behind the bumper.

IMG_0865.jpg

IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0868.jpg

IMG_0869.jpg

Explorerinil

Observer
These.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J5AAX5S/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I figured it they were junk I'd pull them and replace with some Rigid or BD lights. I put them in over a year ago and they have held up incredibly.
Looks good, for lights I don’t use much I go with cheap stuff. You have plenty of light back there on that trailer. If you go boating after dark it will also help load it up. I got a cheap set of lights waiting on my work bench to install as back up lights also.

Did u flush mount them into your bumper?

jingram

Adventurer
Yea, there are a ton of different locations to go in Texas. That area in its entirety is tons of fun, lots of day trip to be had all within 50 miles or so. I just wish there was more BLM land in Texas at times.

Nice! You have any night pics showing the light provided? Think they would be good for a simple flood light for night around a vehicle under an awning? We have been thinking of trying some flush mount lights or rope LED for under the truck and trailer awning.

Also... On another note, I noticed the truck has been getting better mileage as the engine is wearing in. Got a solid 17.1 average highway driving there and back hand calculating. Was 15.7 in town and back and forth through the hill country for 3 days. Was around 380 miles one way. Not bad IMO for highway mileage in a 3500, heavily loaded down on 37's. Wish is was the 18.8 the Iie-O-meter was saying I was getting there and back. ?

I assume it will get a bit better as it loosens up over the next few years of driving.

View attachment 498236

I’m a bit new to this full size thing, but I thought this was a manual truck. Why are there standard automatic indicators in the dash cluster?

Explorerinil

Observer
I’m a bit new to this full size thing, but I thought this was a manual truck. Why are there standard automatic indicators in the dash cluster?
It is a manual trans truck, my truck is an auto, if you look carefully on my dash you can see an up arrow that doesn’t light up along with a few other things that don’t light up. I am sure they only build one dash template and use that dash on multiple vehicles. Obviously the limited and Laramie use a different dash cluster, but I’m sure the basic template is the same.

jingram

Adventurer
It is a manual trans truck, my truck is an auto, if you look carefully on my dash you can see an up arrow that doesn’t light up along with a few other things that don’t light up. I am sure they only build one dash template and use that dash on multiple vehicles. Obviously the limited and Laramie use a different dash cluster, but I’m sure the basic template is the same.

Thanks. Most definitely not the case with my Nissan or the countless other Japanese trucks I’ve owned through the years. Struck me as odd.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Looks good, for lights I don’t use much I go with cheap stuff. You have plenty of light back there on that trailer. If you go boating after dark it will also help load it up. I got a cheap set of lights waiting on my work bench to install as back up lights also.

Did u flush mount them into your bumper?

Yep. I cut the holes with an oscillating multi tool. I ran them to one of the upfitter switches.

chet6.7

Explorer
I suspect the 5K RPM tach is out of a minivan,my 6.7 is not ever getting there.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Finally got around to getting some pics. I think they'll be perfect for your application. My boat was hooked up but it gives you an idea of how bright they are. The pic of the pavement is about 10ft behind the bumper.
The boat looks like fun! I'd like to pick one up and take it with us by using a one of those automatic boat loaders that's attached to the box.

BoatLoaderComp375.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Yea I have reached out to him directly via text and I haven't heard anything in months. I figured I had either annoyed him or life is just too crazy at the moment, either way I hope all is well and we look forward to hearing from you again soon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94