2018 power wagon spare tire ideas

jbatx2

I had a Wilco tire mount on my Cargo Glide. It was very convenient, but a 37” tire took up a lot of real estate. I just put a Pioneer rack on top so the spare will sit in the bed day-to-day but go up on the rack during trips.

The Wilco is in the far sale section, btw:)

View attachment 670179View attachment 670180
could you post a link to it?
My buddy was able to get it underneath. But, if the price is right I'd want it in the rear... then I can rack other stuff.

jbatx2

If you have OBA in your rig couldn't you deflate a 37" spare and mount underneath with maybe some exhaust routing work? If needed you drop the spare and air it up? I am trying to figure this out before I drop a $100K on a rig I'm planning right now. Going to AT in Prescott in a couple of weeks to look at tops. I haul a KTM moto on a hitch carrier and really do not want to deal with the spacing on the back that a big spare would force me to do. I just don't think a 12-18" receiver extension is a possibility with a 250# bike and #70 lb carrier on it. That's a big lever. I see people do it , but that dosen't make it smart. BTW- really trying to not tow.

Unless you have room on the roof somewhere, rear swing-out seems like the only option for the Moto and the 37. I'm not a fan of underneath and I'm only doing it temporarily now that my buddy got it worked out. It's too much of a pita to get the wheel out if you need it... especially considering that when you need it, you'll likely be on trail in some funky situation.

FWIW, I used to Moto and carried my Husaberg T300 and my son's CRF80 on a hitch carrier. Unless you're crawling and dropping ledges, it'll probably be fine. The receiver hitch was welded to the rear crossmember which was reinforced with a welded and bolted on bumper on my LX450 which had qp and rocker mods. ...once you pop the bubble on welding and cutting, the sky's the limit! ✂??

gatorgrizz27

If you have OBA in your rig couldn't you deflate a 37" spare and mount underneath with maybe some exhaust routing work? If needed you drop the spare and air it up? I am trying to figure this out before I drop a $100K on a rig I'm planning right now. Going to AT in Prescott in a couple of weeks to look at tops. I haul a KTM moto on a hitch carrier and really do not want to deal with the spacing on the back that a big spare would force me to do. I just don't think a 12-18" receiver extension is a possibility with a 250# bike and #70 lb carrier on it. That's a big lever. I see people do it , but that dosen't make it smart. BTW- really trying to not tow.

Any chance you could mount the spare horizontally off the back and set the bike frame on it like a moto stand? Would obviously require some fab work and sacrifice departure angle, but might make for the shortest package with a low COG.

chasejj

Any chance you could mount the spare horizontally off the back and set the bike frame on it like a moto stand? Would obviously require some fab work and sacrifice departure angle, but might make for the shortest package with a low COG.

After much deliberation and phone calls. I think the plan is this.
1)Install Leitner ACS system(I really want a 270 awning (maybe a RTT as well-not sure) and the convenient access to storage.
2) Cargoglide slide out for easy cooler and access to stuff in the bed.
3) Custom fab a spare tire carrier with struts to contain it at the back of Cargoglide . I can mount other stuff to it as well. Will need rely on a back up camera as this will block everything out the back window,
4) KTM on a MotoJack receiver mount. May have to weld a 3-4" drop to it(or buy one) to clear the tailgate. I think I will make a plate to attach to the Motojack and use it as a step up to the tailgate when in the down position.

The reality is as an old man with bad knees, a MotoJack mount to haul the bike is probably the best way to travel with it. No climbing into the bed, trying to load. Easy near ground level access. I hate to give up so much bed space, but it will be better on real 4wd use anyway and puts the weight more centered and protects the spare a bit from elements and thugs.
It's telling how most every YT build video and thread never address this issue. When I am looking at used Rams if they have 37's+ they strangely omit the spare or it is laying flat under a tonneau in the bed, not even strapped down. Crazy.

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
space, but it will be better on real 4wd use anyway and puts the weight more centered and protects the spare a bit from elements and thugs.
It's telling how most every YT build video and thread never address this issue. When I am looking at used Rams if they have 37's+ they strangely omit the spare or it is laying flat under a tonneau in the bed, not even strapped down. Crazy.

This is how I had it in my PW prior to selling it to @dogman1911. It would have been better standing up with the AEV mount or something similar to how the Baja guys run them but it worked for very little money and effort and it was secure.

PyydQnt.jpg

UglyViking

no way to stuff a 37 underneath even if deflated to a negative psi.. If it could be done by just an exhaust mod you would be a wealthy by selling the procedure. you would have to cut the frame and figure a way to reroute the track bar.

Thuren is currently working on something for getting a 37 under there, you can see the tire hanging past the rear bumper in this video ().

I'm not sure the status or if this is anywhere near final, I'd guess not but time will tell.

You could probably make a 37 fit but it's gonna require some frame cutting and reworking to make it happen and I don't know how many people would be willing to do so.

OLDsfords

Chasejj,

You will have to compromise somewhere. But if it was me, I'd get a 30" piece of 2x2 .25" tube and make a custom mount for your moto and tire. And when the bike is off, slide the whole thing into the receiver, where the tire usually hangs below deck. Leaving the tire mounted, just a couple feet closet to the bumper. So your not dragging everywhere while exploring without the bike, and dont have to lift the whole mount on and off.

Plan the tire/wheel combo for 100lbs to come in with a margin of safety.

Should be a smaller but more valuable expense for the whole build, if it let's you play the way you want.

Michael

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210715-133805.png
    Screenshot_20210715-133805.png
    589.3 KB · Views: 16
  • signal-2021-07-15-133906.jpg
    signal-2021-07-15-133906.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 16

chasejj

That is an excellent graph . What is the assumption on extension from the receiver? At the interface with the receiver tube? The moment created from that point really reduces available safe tongue weight with almost any device hanging from it.

chasejj

I called Rigd. I think it will work with some custom fab to beef up the receiver (s).
The Rigd Ultraswing Mega Fit has a 250lb limit. A 37"-40" tire has a 100-150lb weight range. However the #250 is the rated limit of the swing/pivot carrier itself.
Weight hanging off the receiver is is limited by the rating of your receiver (see the graph posted above) . I think a Motojack extended just enough (12" maybe) is pushing the limit on a Class 3-4 receiver.
I think the answer would maybe be a triple receiver setup that spreads the loads and maybe some beefing up of the receiver frame connection to the chassis.
As I see the guys who put it into a the bed, I cannot imagine that tire in my AT Habitat top if I get that setup. It's almost like having a smelly homeless guy camping with me.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I called Rigd. I think it will work with some custom fab to beef up the receiver (s).
The Rigd Ultraswing Mega Fit has a 250lb limit. A 37"-40" tire has a 100-150lb weight range. However the #250 is the rated limit of the swing/pivot carrier itself.
Weight hanging off the receiver is is limited by the rating of your receiver (see the graph posted above) . I think a Motojack extended just enough (12" maybe) is pushing the limit on a Class 3-4 receiver.
I think the answer would maybe be a triple receiver setup that spreads the loads and maybe some beefing up of the receiver frame connection to the chassis.
As I see the guys who put it into a the bed, I cannot imagine that tire in my AT Habitat top if I get that setup. It's almost like having a smelly homeless guy camping with me.

Nah, it smells like a tire shop, fresh rubber is nice, not urine, throw up, feces, cheap booze and body odor.

jadmt

ignore button user
ah that would be me lol......

chasejj

After I called you, Rockhound Fab in Auburn was recommended and he said he could make a rear bumper with a swing that will do what I want, within certain limits obviously. May be a less expensive and maybe more robust route going full custom. At least I now think it is possible. to have both , a 37-40" spare (not in the bed) and a moto on the back.
I'll post a photo when its done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier