2018 Pathfinder S

vhercules

yes sorry to digress but I doubt wht these TFL guys are doing ... there are folks on this forum who have taken their outbacks to much rougher terrain than the one in this video. Grant Wilson who had a lift with all terrains had taken it to places which most crossover owners would not even dream off ... he also towed with the CVT and with roof top tent, custom front bumper / winch (all the extra weight) he had no issues.
to the OP @newworld2004 - your signature implies that you have a 2010 suzuki kizashi which has a CVT, how has that been ?

newworld2004

Adventurer
I didn't have any issue with CVT in Suzuki yet,it is awesome sport sedan however some other owners in Kizashi forum had issue with it, which Suzuki replaced their CVT since it was covered under warranty.

nasko

Adventurer
I would take those TFL's videos with a grain of salt. They are trying hard in both videos for the Outback to fail. I do not have a CVT car, own a 3.6 5sp auto Outback and honestly cannot bring myself to trade it in for a newer one. Time will tell how the CVT transmissions last, it seems that many people have them now and putting them to the test.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
In '14(?) the Pathfinder got a different CVT that uses a chain instead of a belt. Those appear to be holding up a lot better. But you are still at a gearing loss. They are geared for the highway, not offroad. Low speeds are very dependent on the torque convertor to make the torque. That is not good. Fine in normal driving, you flash against the convertor for a few seconds to get off the line and start rolling. That is a flash of convertor heat. But to stay against the convertor for extended periods of time, that just makes massive amounts of heat. If you are at the point where an old school 4WD would be better in low range, you are not in the right place.

You can do a lot running trails that you should not be on by just carefully picking the right line. In my days of wheeling stuff would break. I remember popping a front axle and having to finish the trail in 2WD. I just had to take a better (easier) line. Drove myself out. Didn't get to have the fun of the harder areas others were still running. Another time I was out with a bunch of stock rigs. They would carefully pick a line through the creekbed, and they did just fine. But in a built up rig, I could just drive right down the middle. A new Pathfinder, you would be one of those carefully picking your line.

As the TFL video shows, the downfall for any of the modern car based vehicles is lack of articulation. They will not twist up like a true off-road rig will. Leaves you with tires in the air. Within reason they can go a lot of places. Don't expect the Rubicon to be one of them. But there is a guy driving a crown vic around in Moab, it will absolutely be able to do what he is able to do. And I guarantee that the crown vic is choosing his lines very carefully to not get hung up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier