2018 JLUR - First "expedition" in the new rig

Bobzdar

Observer
So probably not quite the same as what most of the expeditions here are as it was more camping than expo - but it was a 900 mile round trip and we were boondocking, plus there was some healthy off-roading mixed in. To boot, the Airstream is actually an Overlander (model), so we'll call it an expedition.

20180707_170432.jpg
20180704_170539.jpg

Which leads me to my first mod (and only planned mod right now, it's pretty well outfitted stock) - I need some jerry can mounts so I can carry fuel to run the generator. I have a predator 3500 - which is insanely quiet for what it is, the a/c unit on the roof is louder, and it was run 24/7 for 5 days due to my buddy's daughter having a health condition requiring a/c be available in hot weather - which consumes around 2.5 gallons in 10-11 hours. I think spare tire mount would be fine as supposedly the stock carrier can handle 85lbs on top of the factory spare, and I'd prefer not to carry gasoline in the vehicle. Two 5 gallon cans would weigh around 65lbs and get me 40-50 hours worth of generator power, which should be plenty for any of our standard trips as it'd only really need to be run a few hours a day to cool things down before bed at night, even less (or not at all) if it's cool. Fridge runs off of propane and I can get at least 2 weeks with both tanks full. Dual batteries on the Jeep will run the fridge for 2 days without any trouble, so all in all a trip - just need to carry some fuel.

I plan to do some much more minimalist trips but it also has to handle family camping duty, which it did with aplomb. For those trips the thought is I could swap the fuel cans for water cans, carrying 10 gallons of fresh water, which should get me a long weekend without much trouble - or carry the water inside the vehicle if I need the added fuel. On-road range is 350-400 miles depending on how loaded it is and how far you push it (21.5 gallon tank but it's reading empty at just under 19 gallons used, so a 40 ish mile reserve). Off-road is less, depending on the speed, but will still get 15-16mpg on 20-30mph roads. I tested out the sway bar disconnect and lockers on some upstate NY logging trails and made it through with no winching - and that's probably the roughest terrain it'd ever see on and expo/camping trip other than actual off-roading trips where there will be plenty of other vehicles around to pull it out. Slick logs are some of the worst things to get over and it handled it, so other than a winch which I may pull off of my land rover, and possibly on-board air, it doesn't need much. I use a lame ground tent and have a very efficient camping setup that mostly fits in a large hockey duffel, so storage isn't a big issue. The only thing I'm really missing is a good cooler for those types of trips, but plans (ie work) don't really allow for more than a 3 days weekend here or there for the 'rougher' trips which my igloo can handle.

Here are some gratuitous nudes:

20180702_115559.jpg
20180702_150843.jpg

HKLover

I'm not sure about the limits of the JL's spare tire carrier since I have a JKU. But, If you have plans of going to a larger tire and wheel size you should consider upgrading your spare tire carrier. There are several modular units on the market. The one that I have is the Maximus-3 spare tire carrier and it too is very modular and Maximus offers many accessories for it including Rotopax mounts and 5 gallon Jerry can mounts.

I do not know if they have released their spare tire carrier for the JL Wrangler yet but I do know that they are slowly releasing other accessories for the JL.

I have many of their products on my Jeep and have been very happy with the quality. https://maximus-3.com/

Whatever you do, good luck.

HKLover

What's the benefit to rotopax vs some nato cans, modularity?

So far for me the advantages are: 2, 4, and 8 gallon capacities. Roto-molded plastic so they will never rust. Modular stacking. You can mount them upright, or flat. But this is my personal reasons. I am sure there are others here who would prefer NATO Jerry cans over the Rotopax.

Disadvantages of the Rotopax are they need to be "burped" during hot weather as there is no vent on them and the gas vapors expand. Other than that, I can't think of any other disadvantages.

KellyM

Adventurer
How much does your Overlander trailer weigh, and how does the JLUR handle the towing duties?

Bobzdar

Observer
How much does your Overlander trailer weigh, and how does the JLUR handle the towing duties?

~4200lbs empty, probably 4800lbs as towed. Jlur does fine with a weight distributing hitch and sway damper. Trailer has electric brakes, jlur was pre wired for a brake controller so simple plug and play, just need a jeep pigtail. It drops to 11-12mpg towing from 20-21 in my commute, but handled PA mountains no problem. The 8 speed trans is awesome. I do right at 65mph, don't really dare take the old girl over that as she turned 51 this year.

Bobzdar

Observer
So far for me the advantages are: 2, 4, and 8 gallon capacities. Roto-molded plastic so they will never rust. Modular stacking. You can mount them upright, or flat. But this is my personal reasons. I am sure there are others here who would prefer NATO Jerry cans over the Rotopax.

Disadvantages of the Rotopax are they need to be "burped" during hot weather as there is no vent on them and the gas vapors expand. Other than that, I can't think of any other disadvantages.

Thanks. Rust shouldn't be a big issue for me, but I see the advantages. Main disadvantage I see being price, they seem quite proud of them.

I don't have plans to go much bigger on tires, maybe 35s on the stock rims when these wear out as it'll fit them without a lift, but that should only add a few pounds vs the stock 33s, so the stock carrier should be fine.

RacerAV

Thanks. Rust shouldn't be a big issue for me, but I see the advantages. Main disadvantage I see being price, they seem quite proud of them.

I don't have plans to go much bigger on tires, maybe 35s on the stock rims when these wear out as it'll fit them without a lift, but that should only add a few pounds vs the stock 33s, so the stock carrier should be fine.
costco in so.cal has scepter cans (nato similar) for like $14 right now! I bought two real quick. awesome deal. 5+ gallons... great cans! ;)

Bobzdar

Observer
costco in so.cal has scepter cans (nato similar) for like $14 right now! I bought two real quick. awesome deal. 5+ gallons... great cans! ;)

I was leaning that way, but can't find good mounts for them. Rotopax look like they have spare tire mounts and I could put twin 4gal for 8gal capacity...

I may just wait a while and see what comes out for the jl, but even the jk jerry can solutions aren't appealing as they require an aftermarket bumper/ tire carrier, which I don't need (or want).

Mass_Mopar

Don't Litter
Great looking setup! GCWR on the JLUR is 8117lb, max trailer weight is 3500 lb and max tounge is 350 lbs. I’d be leery of adding another 70 lbs to the rear of the jeep since you’re probably overloaded as it is. Consider taking empty cans on the trip, dropping the trailer, then going back out to fill them up.

82DFC33A-E432-4433-8A5E-F0BBBC9B3675.jpeg

Bobzdar

Observer
Great looking setup! GCWR on the JLUR is 8117lb, max trailer weight is 3500 lb and max tounge is 350 lbs. I’d be leery of adding another 70 lbs to the rear of the jeep since you’re probably overloaded as it is. Consider taking empty cans on the trip, dropping the trailer, then going back out to fill them up.

View attachment 459637

That's due to the removable top. GC with shorter wheelbase, same engine/trans, weaker axles and suspension, same brakes (Rubi's and Saharas have HD brakes) is rated for 6000lbs with WD hitch. Rated the exact same 3500lbs without WD hitch. And that's on a unibody, which is usually a less sturdy hitch attachment. There doesn't appear to be any technical reason for the rating on the JL. Last trip I had the generator in the back of the Jeep and if anything it helped as it put a little more weight in the tow vehicle.

However, when towing the trailer I could put them next to the propane tanks if it's an issue. I would also only fill up at the last gas, no need to carry gas until it's needed.

Midnightsun

Adventurer
Your living dangerously pulling that trailer. Wait till you have to do some quick time maneuvering on hwy. the tail will wag the dog with out a doubt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles