2018 G-class adopts IFS ?

zimm

Expedition Leader
I always wonder if the toyota resale values stem from the 90's era brainwashing, and the fact that consumer reports has been blatantly in their pocket the last few decades. Theres a reason toyota decided to offer the 105 along side the 100 when they switched to IFS, because even they knew it was admittedly weaker and wanted to offer people the option of having the better solution in the countries that would put these through hard use. For example the wishbones cracking when they hit the bump stops seemed to be a fun time compared to the solid axle sibling. Regardless It just makes sense that a vehicle weighing 575lbs less with 60 less hp, and 34 less torque would put less wear and tear on its components. That is unless you were one of the lucky ones with the two pinion IFS diff, that likes to grenade regardless of the low power.

um, even swb wolfs with 90hp wear out the bearings with anything larger than a 33, and the IFS hubs are bombproof, so no, it doesn't make sense.

as far the LCA's cracking, has anyone ever known someone where this happened? i did hear of such a thing with diesel 100's but the typical built 100 front end easily weights what a stock diesel does, and ive never seen it. i HAVE seen bent and broken SFA's tho, so once again, its just a specific design issue, and not inherent with IFS.

you'd think all those toyota Hilux's built over GVW would be broken on the side of the trail.

Last edited:

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I always wonder if the toyota resale values stem from the 90's era brainwashing, and the fact that consumer reports has been blatantly in their pocket the last few decades. Theres a reason toyota decided to offer the 105 along side the 100 when they switched to IFS, because even they knew it was admittedly weaker and wanted to offer people the option of having the better solution in the countries that would put these through hard use. For example the wishbones cracking when they hit the bump stops seemed to be a fun time compared to the solid axle sibling. Regardless It just makes sense that a vehicle weighing 575lbs less with 60 less hp, and 34 less torque would put less wear and tear on its components. That is unless you were one of the lucky ones with the two pinion IFS diff, that likes to grenade regardless of the low power.

I guess ignorance is bliss in your case. You caught them, it's s big conspiracy between Toyota and consumers reports.

Last edited:

ILIAN

Adventurer
My G500 at 145k miles is still on original front axle bearings and been driving on 35s for the past 15k miles and 33s for 20k before that and 30mm wheel spacers.

zimm

Expedition Leader
My G500 at 145k miles is still on original front axle bearings and been driving on 35s for the past 15k miles and 33s for 20k before that and 30mm wheel spacers.

i had a 4.3 vortec i stopped changing the oil in after write off, cause it didnt sound so great anyway. it went another 80, till i gave it away. **** happens.

how do know ford quality is crap?

in my G, i developed death wobble on hi way banking curves at 55-65 mph. the cure was to speed out of it. i was told bearings. all i changed were the bearings and they looked good on physical inspection, but they were right. no wobble.

ILIAN

Adventurer
Our work vehicles have had a lot of problems at low mileage, leaking coolant reservoirs, bad starter, check engines lights, wiring harness problems etc. Also their designs are bad, hard to work on.

REDROVER

Explorer
Only dudes on expedition portal think independent suspension is not as capable,
New US army JLTV is 4 wheel independent suspension,
H1/ humvees are 4Wheel independent suspension,
huge TATRA military trucks are independent suspension.

U keep the solid axles G. I'll take the independent suspension g wagon with locker any-day.

REDROVER

Explorer
Fords quality is crap even for a 2015 vehicle. It can't compare to a G in any way.

Kim kardashian told you that ?

Have u even been Ina new Ford truck ? Don't do it, u may trade ur g and get a Ford after that.

Go see 78.000 dollar Ford F-350 king ranch, test drive it and come edit ur post.

swb

Observer
Only dudes on expedition portal think independent suspension is not as capable,
New US army JLTV is 4 wheel independent suspension,
H1/ humvees are 4Wheel independent suspension,
huge TATRA military trucks are independent suspension.

U keep the solid axles G. I'll take the independent suspension g wagon with locker any-day.

And Pinzgauers, which were also made by Steyr Puch in Graz, like the G.

Down here in Australia, the offroad competition trucks (e.g. Outback Challenge and Tough Truck) are pretty much all SA though, not IFS (Nissan Patrol/Safari being preferred over the Toyota Hilux/80/100 - the Nissan having stronger chassis and axles)
I dont think an IFS vehicle has participated in these events.

zimm

Expedition Leader
i read back and articles suggested differing body panels and all, but if you compare the disguised units with a pic of current unit, everything is proportionately the same.

if the new body panel rumor is true, then they are ********** with photographers and "disguising" old bodies. that would be a funny move to throw of the dogs.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
you dont be stupid, either.

original porsche turbo motors lasted for ****, and the gm diesel experiment in the 70s set unreasonable expectations for crap. ford can now make a 2.7l six for pickup that will last 200000 miles, and we all know a diesel can roll 500000 not 50000. there is NO inherent weakness in IFS, just sloppy or cheap design, which no one expects MB will do. will they care about making it as off road effective as the 100lc? thats another question. My 100 has excellent rear droop and can stuff 35's with a mere 1.5" of lift, and that has a bearing on how IFS effectiveness. with a narrow truck such as a G, likely to have short arms if designed only with on road handling in mind, how tight the rear space is, and how poorly G's lift (granted, much to the front linkage design), it'll be interesting to see what comes of it.

for guys happy with a 2" lift max, and 33's, mostly "overlanding" and not wheeling, i cant see it being anything but better.

Interestingly enough the Montero IFS would be a better goal for the G to beat than the 100, guys have ran 35's and some have even used 37's with the factory Montero axles without issue for years. Not to mention zero lift for 33's, and once my km2's wear out I will be installing ko2's in the 34x10.50r17 size with just the OME suspension setup, 35's would clear but no need for them. But I agree, the G might be better off with IFS.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Fords quality is crap even for a 2015 vehicle. It can't compare to a G in any way.

And this is based on what, the simple fact that a G is overpriced compared to a Ford? You are comparing apples to oranges there guy, not exactly making yourself look very intelligent or credible. Ford was never designed nor intended to compete with MB, but Ford does build a decent vehicle. My brother bought his 2011 EcoBoost f150 new and currently has over 140k miles, other than oil changes he has had one wheel hub replaced after discovering a broken belt in the tire(bad vibration). So before you continue to make yourself look unintelligent, try to educate yourself a bit before typing.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Interestingly enough the Montero IFS would be a better goal for the G to beat than the 100, guys have ran 35's and some have even used 37's with the factory Montero axles without issue for years. Not to mention zero lift for 33's, and once my km2's wear out I will be installing ko2's in the 34x10.50r17 size with just the OME suspension setup, 35's would clear but no need for them. But I agree, the G might be better off with IFS.

People run 35s and 37s on 100 series.

kotton

And Pinzgauers, which were also made by Steyr Puch in Graz, like the G.

Down here in Australia, the offroad competition trucks (e.g. Outback Challenge and Tough Truck) are pretty much all SA though, not IFS (Nissan Patrol/Safari being preferred over the Toyota Hilux/80/100 - the Nissan having stronger chassis and axles)
I dont think an IFS vehicle has participated in these events.

Its mostly the same in the states, the Top Truck Challenge, and King of the Hammers are almost all SA vehicles. Now if we were talking about high speed desert racing, IFS is the obvious winner there.

haven

Expedition Leader
"King of the Hammers are almost all SA vehicles."

True, more solid axle than independent are entered in the race. But check the final standings, where IFS is well represented. Jason Scherer was the 2016 national champion in Ultra-4, running IFS
http://www.drivingline.com/articles/celebration-at-the-2016-ultra4-finals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles