2018 F150

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah, no kidding. I drove this for a few weeks years (and years) ago, helping my pops out (commercial GC).
1,800 lb/ft torque, 86k lb payload, triple lockers, 9 fwd gears and 3 reverse. Makes piddly 1 ton trucks look like Tonka toys.

1200167-bigthumbnail.jpg

Nice...I was going to add, when the F600 wasn't enough we would grab the Tri-axle Mack.

Years and years ago, my dad used to work for a strip mine, used to operate the D9's an Pans.

I sure do like those wimpy little Toyotas tho', should prolly paint in pink for good measure. ;)

Always something bigger and badder out there. :D

1849fad.jpg

I'm still at 22-23 fwy, but maybe 1mpg less during winter. Hope the new 10-sp holds up ok. I like the gear ratios which would be great for towing and crawling through tech my trails. I'll wait several years before I make that jump though.

That is really good for a fullsize...new Tacoma V6's can barely break 20...the 4 bangers can fetch 25 if you baby them, but they are underpowered turds. Their only saving grace is they are reliable as an anvil.

Really cool to see Ford constantly innovating.....not exactly a diesel fan boi....but they finally put one in their half ton. Gotta admit, that is pretty awesome. Hopefully it will have a decent payload and tow rating.

jprovence

With an above-cab roof top tent, level kit, and 10ply 33"s, I regularly get 25 on the highway in my Ecodiesel CCSB.

But, alas, these small displacement half-ton diesels are not meant to be work horses. They are roomy people haulers that can also do some yard work. They tow way more than the average person deals with even on the weekends. I can haul 4 people very comfortably, with gear, just about anywhere for a few days of dry camping and return 25 mpg. The curb weight on my truck sits at over 7klbs with family and gear. They are not going to haul a pallet of tile or pull your 35ft camper. They payload ratings are appropriate for the intended audience.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
But, alas, these small displacement half-ton diesels are not meant to be work horses. They are roomy people haulers that can also do some yard work. They tow way more than the average person deals with even on the weekends. I can haul 4 people very comfortably, with gear, just about anywhere for a few days of dry camping and return 25 mpg. The curb weight on my truck sits at over 7klbs with family and gear. They are not going to haul a pallet of tile or pull your 35ft camper. They payload ratings are appropriate for the intended audience.

Have a feeling the Ford is going to be different than the Ram, believe you're going to be able to get the HD payload and towing package with it. The numbers these new 1/2 Ton's are putting out, kinda putting our old 70-80's 3/4 tons to shame. In power, fuel economy and capacities.

These new diesels might be the cat's meow for an all arounder, should be able to get 30 mpg hwy unloaded, be decent for commuting...then have plenty of power and still great fuel economy for yanking the toys around on the weekend, and taking trips.

Saw a Ram commercial recently, they show a massive electrical component being lowered int the bed, then flash a badge of the Ecodiesel, finally pulling up to an electrical plant with 4 big guys, pulling chains out of the tool box. Thought to myself, well there is a little bit of false advertising. The 4 guys alone are probably near that truck's payload... ;) :)

To heck with a 3.0 diesel FX4, how about a diesel Raptor?!!

That would be cool!

A F150 FX4 has been seen testing...that would be cool for people that don't want a full blown Raptor...can't imagine it would be that cheap though, better off starting with an XL ordering it with a an E-Locker and doing your own suspension. Order the vinyl seats and rubber flooring..so you can actually use it....get it muddy and dirty. Like a truck should be ;) :D

http://www.tfltruck.com/2015/06/is-...raptor-prototype-high-altitude-testing-spied/

2017-ford-raptor-prototype-wheels-620x334.png

Last edited:

OCD Overland

Explorer
I'm sure diesel fanboys are covered in their own drool with the 3.0, but I'm more interested to see what kind of MPG improvements the 10-sp will put out with the 2.7 and 5.0. Also very interested in the 3.3L V6. If it's an improvement from the current 3.5L (N/A), that would be a pretty cheap/reliable engine getting some great MPG.
6% improvement for the transmission is what I've read, so about 1.5 mpg or so. The 2.7 improvements will add a bit as well, so I wouldn't be surprised to see that engine given a 29 hwy rating. That would be my engine choice regardless what the diesel numbers turn out to be.

And the new front end looks a bit more aerodynamic, but who knows.

jprovence

I'd like to see a light 3/4 solid axle 4.0L inline 4 cylinder diesel truck. That would be the perfect in-between imo. A heavy-half if you will. I want the cab size of the fullsize truck. I want the 5.5foot bed. Keeps wheel base to a minimum and 1000 miles of range is not far with a few extra gallons of fuel.

Clutch

<---Pass
I'd like to see a light 3/4 solid axle 4.0L inline 4 cylinder diesel truck. That would be the perfect in-between imo. A heavy-half if you will. I want the cab size of the fullsize truck. I want the 5.5foot bed. Keeps wheel base to a minimum and 1000 miles of range is not far with a few extra gallons of fuel.

That would be ideal...market would be slim for that. Pretty much an enthusiast's truck.

The midsizes are big enough for me, Extra Cab 6' bed works great for us. Toyota teased us a few years back, it only needed a diesel. (and a manual trans). The new 2.8 Cummins crate engine, does give a person some ideas. :D

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/0...k-toyota-should-bring-back-to-the-future.html

6a00d83451b3c669e20120a562a245970b-800wi

p nut

butter
6% improvement for the transmission is what I've read, so about 1.5 mpg or so. The 2.7 improvements will add a bit as well, so I wouldn't be surprised to see that engine given a 29 hwy rating. That would be my engine choice regardless what the diesel numbers turn out to be.

And the new front end looks a bit more aerodynamic, but who knows.

I doubt it would be that close to 30, but ~26MPG would still be great and make it even more cost effective than diesel. I am really interested to see what the diesel numbers come back at, though. If it breaks into the 30's, and has a HD payload package, it would be a great buy for those that haul a lot.

Nice...I was going to add, when the F600 wasn't enough we would grab the Tri-axle Mack.

Years and years ago, my dad used to work for a strip mine, used to operate the D9's an Pans.

I sure do like those wimpy little Toyotas tho', should prolly paint in pink for good measure. ;)

Always something bigger and badder out there. :D
That is really good for a fullsize...new Tacoma V6's can barely break 20...the 4 bangers can fetch 25 if you baby them, but they are underpowered turds. Their only saving grace is they are reliable as an anvil.

Really cool to see Ford constantly innovating.....not exactly a diesel fan boi....but they finally put one in their half ton. Gotta admit, that is pretty awesome. Hopefully it will have a decent payload and tow rating.

Yep, all trucks have their purpose. Even crusty pink 'Yota's. :D
_
Yeah, those 2.7L's go forever. Maybe underpowered (now, my pop's old 2.3L Ranger--THAT's what you call underpowered), but with the right gearing, it does great. It's confusing, though, that they outfitted the auto with 4.30 and manual 3.9. Seems backwards to me. Which is opposite of how they have the V6's geared (3.9 auto, 4.3 manual).
_
I'm eagerly waiting for Toyota's response to all of this. They've got to have something up their sleeve for the Tundra.

Clutch

<---Pass
pee nut butaaaar said:
Yep, all trucks have their purpose. Even crusty pink 'Yota's. :D
_
Yeah, those 2.7L's go forever. Maybe underpowered (now, my pop's old 2.3L Ranger--THAT's what you call underpowered), but with the right gearing, it does great. It's confusing, though, that they outfitted the auto with 4.30 and manual 3.9. Seems backwards to me. Which is opposite of how they have the V6's geared (3.9 auto, 4.3 manual
_
I'm eagerly waiting for Toyota's response to all of this. They've got to have something up their sleeve for the Tundra.

Different tools for different jobs!
---
Old girlfriend had one of those 4 banger Rangers...we called it the lawnmower truck...because it ran like one! :D
---
Not holding my breath...

p nut

butter
I was never fond of that Ranger. Glad he got rid of it. Although, the time we had it, it never broke down on us. But that's mainly from never being worked due to its inability to tow or haul anything.
_
I bet we see something from Toyota in '18, maybe '19. But I'm not holding my breath, either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles