2018 Chevy Silverado 1500 "Build"

Isgro

Howdy folks. The name is Matt. I've lurked around the site for years, but haven't really posted. I recently picked up a 2018 Chevy Silverado double cab that I'm going to "build" into a jack-of-all-trades vehicle to suit a number of needs. I put build in quotes because it won't be on the level that a lot of you are working on, but I figured I'd share the various upgrades I'll be making.

First, a bit of background about me and my needs. I've been an avid traveler for years, but have mostly flown to Europe and South America for my adventures. I'd like to start exploring more around my own country. I've also been participating in car endurance racing for the better part of four years, and have always needed a vehicle around for towing cars and race support. My life and needs have evolved over the last few years, and I've reassessed situation on a couple of occasions. Back in 2017 I purchased a 7.3 1996 Ford E350 ambulance that I fell in love with. It was a solid rig, and towed extremely well. I set up the box up for comfortable camping, and race support, and enjoyed the hell out of it. Ultimately I sold it because there were two issues. 1.) It was 2wd and I didn't have the skills or money to convert it to 4wd. 2.) The state of Massachusetts requires anything rated for over 10k lbs GVWR to be on commercial plates. This came with commercial insurance costs. I got fed up with that after a couple of years (insurance was >2x more than a private policy).

I still miss the damn thing, but it was the right decision to sell. A few shots of it...
58522861082__90E67DFE-D445-4E4D-9B12-56BAD3B6F9AD.JPG
58406977701__E40F2FCC-ACEC-4FB0-AD04-3F961488F62E.JPG
58516872463__FE4A51C8-7433-404C-B41C-70E270377471.JPG

After I sold the Ford (October of 2019) I went without a rig for a while. It was the racing offseason, and I didn't really NEED anything. Then COVID hit, and I was bored at home. I picked up what I thought was a solid 2004 Chevy 2500HD, but it ended up being a turd. I kept that pile around for about 11 months, but sold it last month. That leads us to now. I haven't been on a plane since January of 2020, and it's looking like that will stretch towards the end of this year. I'm also antsy as hell to get out and explore stuff. My girlfriend and I have done some small trips around New England, but my VW Alltrack is only so "capable" for the stuff we want to do. We also both love the beach, and there are a good number of options for over-sand fun in Mass.

That leads to the most recent purchase — A 2018 Chevy Silverado LTZ double cab. It's a 5.3 with the 3.42 rear axle. I wanted a crew cab, but also wanted a 6.5' bed, and that combo is really tough to come by. This truck was lightly used and spec'd mostly the way I wanted it. The plan is to upgrade it to be able to tackle exploring off the beaten path with my girl (and my niece and nephews on occasion), to get us out onto the beach as much as possible during the summer, and to tow my team's various race cars and/or supplies and give me a place to sleep at the track. Everything I'm doing is going to be thoughtful and reasonable.

The truck when I got it (22's and all. Ugh, haha)...
IMG_3850.jpg

I immediately swapped on a set of 18" GMC wheels with 265/70r18 General Grabber AT/Xs...
IMG_3862.jpg

I've since converted the front tow hooks to d-rings...
63796064635__200891AD-4FFA-427A-91F4-D8C889D7785E.jpg

What's next (short term)?
• I have a Leer 100R bed topper on order, and that should be installed on 3/31. Sliding, screened side windows, sliding front window, black headliner, double t-handle rear window.
• I have a Rough Country 2" leveling kit on hand that I need to install (haven't had time to get over to my shop for that yet)
• I'll be building a basic bed platform for the back. Something that will support a queen sized folding mattress. Since I want to use this as a truck, I want to be able to quickly remove the setup as needed.
• I'll be getting a rear attaching tent of some sort. Mosquitoes and black flies are an issue here as the warm weather comes back, so I want something that allows air flow, but keeps out the damn bugs.
• Trailer brake controller — It's on order and will be installed soon. Like I said, this truck is multipurpose, and I need to be sure I can appropriately tow my 17' car trailer.

What's happening longer term?
• I like to travel light, so I'll be looking at efficiently building out the setup and gear.
• I want to set up a decent, but compact camp kitchen.
• I want to figure out an awning setup. I've got a nice EZ up, but it's chunky and eats up cargo space. The bed topper won't have a roof rack, so I'm thinking about using heavy duty vacuum cups with a relatively compact roll-up awning. We shall see.
• Storage in the back. I want to maintain ease of removal of this setup, and don't want this eating a ton of storage space when it's not in the truck. Bins? Drawers? We shall see.
• I was to figure out a portable table of some sort. I know there are options out there, but have some ideas in my head that I might mess around with (I love a good project).

This thread will probably be a brain dump and organization spot for me. Happy to hear ideas and feedback.

jbaucom

That's a good looking truck! It makes me miss my 2014 GMC. You might think about adding the GM underbody shield kit (p/n: 23176881) to replace the factory plastic splash guard under the engine with a pair of decently thick aluminum skid plates and adds the steel transfer case skid plate from the Z71. Costs around $250. You never know when you'll need underbody protection. I've been as glad to have skid plates on the road as I have been off road when I've hit road debris in the middle of the interstate at night with traffic on both sides of me so I couldn't dodge it.

Isgro

That's a good looking truck! It makes me miss my 2014 GMC. You might think about adding the GM underbody shield kit (p/n: 23176881) to replace the factory plastic splash guard under the engine with a pair of decently thick aluminum skid plates and adds the steel transfer case skid plate from the Z71. Costs around $250. You never know when you'll need underbody protection. I've been as glad to have skid plates on the road as I have been off road when I've hit road debris in the middle of the interstate at night with traffic on both sides of me so I couldn't dodge it.

Thanks for that recommendation. It’s a good call out. I’ll definitely look into that kit.

Isgro

Ended up doing about 500 miles in the Chevy today. Drove up to Northern Vermont to rescue an old VW for a friend. Got into some gravel and dirt on the way to get to the seller’s house. The truck did great. The bed topper is getting installed this week, so I’ll be posting some sleep platform progress soon.

7AB31976-6440-4B9B-8CB6-D19AA235D4C0.jpeg

06B801D4-D1E6-4D86-9732-E0677D635D1B.jpeg

Isgro

Nice truck.........what is the paint color called?

Wise choice to ditch those 22s :eek:

For storage in the bed, I have a milk crate on the rear passenger side and a swing box mounted on the rear driver side

Swing Case Truck Tool Box - a Truck Accessory from Undercover

Also might want to consider taking off the lower from air dam trim piece..........you will gain almost 3" and it takes under 5 min

View attachment 651176

Thanks for the insights on storage and the air dam!

The color is G1K Deep Ocean Blue. It’s one of the reasons I bought the truck. Love the color.

Reactions: D45

Isgro

My bed topper was installed today. It's nothing fancy, a Leer 100R, but it'll do everything I need it to do. It's got sliding side windows with screens, sliding front window so I can have access to/from the cab, and a carpeted liner on the inside.

IMG_3927.jpg

IMG_3926.jpg

IMG_3925.jpg

I've also got a Napier Sportz Cove tailgate tent on order. It's an inexpensive, but useful way to add a screen door to the rear of the truck, plus a small awning.
IMG_3928.JPG

I've got some time set aside on Friday to head to my shop, install the leveling kit, and start work on the sleeping platform. More to come!

CountryboyNC

Nice truck! I think you will enjoy it. I wish I could afford that shell, but for now I’ll use my soft topper. I’m adding a tailgate tent like that as well since it will make my 5.5 bed long enough to sleep in

Isgro

I took the afternoon off from work yesterday and headed to my shop to install the leveling kit. It went in relatively easily. The drivers side fought me, but the passenger side went in smooth, so it evened out in the end.

Before...
E522C716-A38D-4D02-B5F2-3168AE17CFF5.jpeg

After...
9AD33E71-9AB1-4981-8DDE-C2F1DB86AD5A.jpeg
6B567D23-AB79-4E04-B4AF-AAE8A77E791D.jpeg

I’m pretty happy with the final result. We’ll see if I need to add any height to the rear once I build my sleep platform (on which I started brain storming the other night)...
FD5C8D03-7C51-48D4-B4B6-9B06D6CC6B1F.jpeg

Just messing with ideas on the platform right now, but will have more to share soon.

Isgro

I was off work yesterday, and decided to use the time to build my sleeping platform. Overall I kept the design pretty basic as I want to be able to quickly remove it for normal use of the bed, but also not have it take up a lot of storage space. Ultimately I landed with a design that retains an outer frame that remains in the truck (secured using turnbuckles to the lower tie down points) and three removable panels...

IMG_3996.jpg

The rear most panel is 30" wide. I made this one wider so that, if necessary, I can stack it on the others and a large space to transport things directly on the bed floor (large cooler, generator, etc) without removing everything. The other two panels are 24".
63996198051__939C5023-B22C-459F-B997-46D39FF595F0.jpg

I used 1/2" birch plywood and 2x4s in the construction. I'm very confident in it's ability to support myself and my girlfriend, even without a center support. The space below the decking allows for bins up to 9" in height.
IMG_3998.jpg

I also snagged a cheap 6'x8' outdoor carpet that I'm cutting down to cover the platform. I'm not attaching it to each panel as they may be stored in a damp spot on occasion and I don't want the carpet getting moldy, etc.
63996384120__13148BDB-2A84-45D1-A782-507B12C8A698.jpg

Sunday was my birthday and my folks were kind enough to get me a new cooler. It's no Yeti or other fancy brand, but I have first-hand experience with this Lifetime unit and have watched it match, and in some cases outperform much more expensive coolers. I'm happy to have it in the arsenal.
63986764563__11188CB8-2295-43BA-B9D7-C4DDF4A3AA68.jpg

Isgro

Some other random things...

For when we're not camping I'm working on a bike rack that slides in and out of the back of the bed. Using some old Rockymount trays and scrap wood. I need to make some adjustments, but I like where it's going.
63996984657__B4F028AD-AD6B-48C0-8B4B-1E1924F171C4.jpg

I also got my "Sportz Cove" tent. I'm not thrilled with the fit, but it'll work to keep the bugs and weather out until I find another solution that I like better.
IMG_3958.jpg

63936528058__2EF637F1-9E4F-47A0-8E1B-982EE496402F.jpg

IMG_3959.jpg

Grassland

So far so good.

Like that's it's still going to be able to do the typical truck stuff when you aren't sleeping in it.

Isgro

It wasn't overlanding, but I tested the sleeping setup while supporting my team at Watkins Glen this past weekend. It was great to test it out, and figure out things I liked and things I didn't. Overall I'm very happy with the sleeping arrangement. It was rainy, cold and bugless, so I chose to close the cap at night and park partially under my easy up (instead of using the attachable tent shown above). It worked out well.

IMG_4122.jpg

IMG_4114.jpg

The sleeping area. I used a Sierra Designs "queen" air mattress covered with an old down comforter, all held together with an old fitted bed sheet. It was very comfortable. It was only me — my girl did not join me this weekend.
IMG_4117.jpg

IMG_4118.jpg

Making breakfast. The storage area under the sleep platform worked out well. It's just an empty space, but allows me flexibility for how I organize under there (you can't see it as the carpet hangs over to "hide" everything)..
IMG_4113.jpg

And a quick shot of the sunset from Saturday night (one of the few times it wasn't raining). And my buddy's Z06...
IMG_4138.jpg

And a peek at our race car (a FWD 2.0T Audi A3)...
IMG_4153.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94