2017 ram megacab, 3500 srw camper options

draaronr

Adventurer
I really like the NuCamp 820 in pics but haven't been in one, I do have a kid that's 6ft 2 inches that travels with me sometimes and I am afraid the dinette bed is too short for him, what options do people like? i am not going to go offroad with it much, other than fire roads or easy light trails, i do like the space a slideout offers, I've read truck camper reviews, but not sure whats a good fit, not much for cold weather camping, definitely want a hard side, with an indoor shower and toilet. prefer used, would love to know whats out there I am missing,
quick list i made is:
Lance 825
Nucamp cirrus 800-820 love the style
Lance 865
Lance 650

Wolf Creek 850
Northstar Laredo SC

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I desperately want a Capris Retreat (new). All of those campers are a bit porky for me. But the Cirrus is tempting, and the new little skinny Lance.

What really bugs me, too many companies release new models with Expo style wraps and vinyl schemes. They show them in nice grey or desert colors. But only offer them for sale in ugly 1987 white schemes. Why not offer the Expo colored models that you show off in adds?? Like this:

SEMELance6501-1.jpg

Slideout means DRW truck every time that I've crunched the numbers.

Toss the kid a tent. Who wants to sleep with their parents anyways?

Last edited:

draaronr

Adventurer
haha some valid points, I agree on the slide thats why I didn't add any to my list, but wasnt sure if I missed a great option or such

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Not that I know of. Those campers listed are actually quite roomy.

I prefer travel oriented campers, over park at the campground sized ones. I'll only be sleeping in it, not spending any time in it.
Like this:
AN66SAz9shs4iLiA_VpFo4ZFM7EUOrzsSJkv-Q8c8A=s900-mo-c-c0xffffffff-rj-k-no

They're tight, no doubt about it. But get the job done. Interior is only 6'4", I might have to duck in a few spots. And the shower is tight, I think I'd have to sit down on it's seat to rinse off.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
We just ordered a 2020 Northstar SC short bed camper with no air conditioning; no microwave; no TV, just the basic lightweight package with a LOT of storage and the 41 gallon H2O tank. Even it its basic form it has a lot of extras not found on other campers. For us, it was THE most well thought out camper. Jeanie and I have spent a lot of time the last 2 months looking in depth at all the models you list below, in person, so I'll make a few comments. We laid on the bed; sat on the pot; took a mime shower; got imaginary food out of storage to make a meal; checked out all the capacities of tanks, cupboards, drawers, and the fridge. We opened windows, got down on the floor to see where the heavy goods would be stored, checked out the ease, or not, of filling the propane tank, replacing batteries, using the outside shower. It was almost a Zen thing, with time being the most important way to absorb the vibes from the big white box.
1. No two people looking at campers see the same thing. Our 1998 Lance Lite 165-s was the least tall, lightest, and narrowest camper of its time and we have loved it for almost two decades. It had a lot of storage and was basically the stripped model to keep the weight down. Storage was gained by not having all those useless-on-the-road appliances. Since we don't do summer in the TC, we don't need ac. It was the tried and true example upon which all others were to be compared. With our experience, we knew exactly what we wanted; knew what was worth what; and knew what to expect out of certain fluid and electrical systems.
This is our current rig. The new one has exactly the same, not wide, not tall, not heavy footprint:

In viewing your selections of campers, It's a good thing you have a SRW 3500. Even with that some of these are a stretch.
Lance 825: jefe says: going into the hunt it was our first choice as it was the closest to our old Lance in size (exactly the same footprint) but with upgraded components. What drove Jeanie away from this one was the complete and utter lack of storage.

Nucamp cirrus 800-820 love the style: jefe says: get on the NuCamp facebook page and enjoy the show. Boy, do they have a lot of woes. It was not an option for us because it was too heavy for our camper packaged, 3/4 ton truck even with our 8 leaf suspension upgrade. I've carried 5K pounds of crushed rock back there where it finally compresses down on all 3 upper overloads and Stable Loads.

Lance 865: jefe says: This was our second choice until we climbed into a new one. It has a sinuous walkway/flooring like walking through an obstacle course and felt very oppressive inside. Nice features, but again, very little storage and too compact.

Lance 650: jefe says: This one has a longer nook/lower bed for tall people but will only fit on a 5 to 5-1/2 foot bed. I contacted the Lance hot line and they gave me the bad news. A 6-1/2 foot bed like our short bed RAM has is a no go. The drain for the black tank hangs down at the end and is in the way.

Wolf Creek 850: nice with great features but too wide; too heavy, way too heavy. With a basement, too tall. Suitable with an up suspensioned one ton.

Northstar Laredo SC: This one checked the most boxes for us. We drive to the factory in Iowa this September to pick it up.
jefe

Last edited:

draaronr

Adventurer
awesome reply spot on this helps a good bit. I crossed off the 650, I have a 3500 with the 6'4" bed single rear wheel, so sitting good with payload

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
That's good. Does the 650 go all the way to the front bulkhead? I'm only reporting what Lance had to say.
Another potential woe is putting any of these on a Ford pickup. Ford has a taller cab so the camper needs a spacer underneath to lift it above the cab. Some use a 3 inch or 4 inch block of closed cell foam (pink or blue) as a spacer.
jefe

2017 Ram 3500 SRW. 2019 Arctic Fox 865, non-slideout. Sits on a short bed or long bed. We have thousands of miles on this setup together. Truck carries it really well. Only mod was s set of Firestone airbags to help level out the truck and reposition the headlights while loaded.

Attachments

• B7B1EB13-A6E5-4FE2-A386-B0ADA978B144.jpeg
    B7B1EB13-A6E5-4FE2-A386-B0ADA978B144.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 68

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94