2017 Ram 2500 - Post Divorce Therapy

If you could find a set of power wagon axles that would kill two of your goals. Your gearing would be 4.10s and you would get the electronic lockers. No big deal to wire those up.

Spencinator

Adventurer
jerstw,

I'm guessing you have an auto so gearing will help with mileage. The gear ratio you choose will need to depend on your type of driving. In my case, the 3.42s actually benefited. With 37's, stock gearing and 6 speed manual I am maintaining 18mpg on the freeway. My city mileage suffered but its a trade off. I would rather get better mileage on the highway and loose in the city than the opposite. My mixed everyday is 15-16mpg.

I plan on doing the AEV 40's kit eventually and will make my gear change then, most likely 4.10s. They recommend 4.30s for more rock crawling but my intended usage is more long distance highway to get to our camp spots and then long distance off road use. If that combo keeps me around 18 I would be stoked.

jerstw

Adventurer
Mine will be 4.10's or 4.30's, and 'yes', it's an auto. I like Spencinator, I suspect I will "eventually" do the AEV Highmark Fender's and 40's so the 4.30's are becoming more likely.

Agree Spencinator - 18 MPG on 40's would be fricking awesome.

Federalfighter - Would be a great option to have the limited slip /electric lockers from the Power Wagon...the 'non-open diff' aspect would be great and then lock when needed. Not sure I've come across anyone yet putting them in the Cummins Ram's...if you know if anyone that has successfully done so please let me know.

Few updates and thoughts...

1. I have about 450 miles on the suspension and tires so far and I can say of all the suspension modded trucks and Jeeps I have owned (Ram 2500 - V10, XJ, Rubicon, WJ, Ram 1500 and now this one) it is far and away the best handling of any of them...I know the past vehicles are totally different from this one and not a fair comparison but all the others after lifted left me with a sense of 'too much comprise' to the drivability of the vehicle...not this time. Hoping I can say the same after 10K miles.
2. The BFG KO2's overall are doing fine and I still haven't swapped out the two that asked for excessive weight (next week).
3. Grateful to have a topper again.
4. Picked up a ConsoleVault for the lower center console that will get installed today; my first one but initial impressions are positive and the overall fit and finish seems very good.
5. Truck bed drawers just about ready to get underway...have all the materials in the garage now just need to measure for the 27th time before cutting into the MDO. Hope to make good progress this weekend.

f949b2864c6314b75517e99fcd3d7302.jpg

jerstw

Adventurer
Thanks Austo, I believe you have a similar build going on. Looks like a sweet rig you have underway and look forward to following yours.

The ConsoleVault is installed...took about 5 minutes once I had an offset Phillips screwdriver. Only thing I don’t love is the 4-digit lock sits a bit high and pushes into the bottom
Of the factory lid that closes over top of the vault. Overall a minor issue for how nice it will be to have a secure storage space in the truck.

Took the truck out to see where my kids have been outside in -5 F playing pond hockey all day...nothing more than a empty corn field and a frozen swamp crossing to get there but the truck made for a nice warming hut.

b8a7b3aae715d5d4255fad041ce3291e.jpg

c19374fb93d9e8eaae629ec9a3070883.jpg

Leading the way back home was my Mountain Cur...great rescue dog I’ve had about two years now and he loves anything with my boys outside. Pretty sure he will be my “Once in a lifetime dog”.

f895a5d340d3004b4e47af7b94f29d37.jpg

11f21be72e3088bdfd719ac434d3dc12.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Austo

Observer
Thanks Austo, I believe you have a similar build going on. Looks like a sweet rig you have underway and look forward to following yours.

The ConsoleVault is installed...took about 5 minutes once I had an offset Phillips screwdriver. Only thing I don't love is the 4-digit lock sits a bit high and pushes into the bottom
Of the factory lid that closes over top of the vault. Overall a minor issue for how nice it will be to have a secure storage space in the truck.

Thanks, console vault sounds like a good idea, have any pictures of it installed? Austin

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
At the Auto Show here I sat in all big three trucks and the Ram hands down was the most comfortable.
The GM's were cheap inside and the Fords a bit better.
That being said everything's so expensive. if I had many bucks to spare I'd love a new one but it's not in the stars.
Enjoy!

jerstw

Adventurer
Worked on the drawers a bit today, ran out of kerosene to heat the garage and was -31 wind chill so progress was limited. Main frame pieces all cut and most of the rabbits and dado’s done. If we can find more kerosene tomorrow will get back to work.

f8d02feb52d65fd97a325db092438aa1.jpg

06yoda

At the Auto Show here I sat in all big three trucks and the Ram hands down was the most comfortable.
The GM's were cheap inside and the Fords a bit better.
That being said everything's so expensive. if I had many bucks to spare I'd love a new one but it's not in the stars.
Enjoy!

I went today and agree with all the above. It's making me really contemplate owning a power wagon lately, but the Cruiser would have to go.

jerstw

Adventurer
Bit more progress on the drawers today...

ca51b5e7fc8b703179fa70f1172b7412.jpg

38fee4255f4dcaa8750219421c91f322.jpg

A lot more to do...router out the top deck for the semi-flush mount tie down tracks from Mac’s, get the UHDP drawer fronts, pre-drill and counter sink stuff, prime and seal stuff, make the side ‘wing’ storage areas for the wheel wells, etc, etc.

jerstw

Adventurer
Great looking truck, are you planning on any more AEV stuff?

Thanks, and yes...front bumper, rear bumper if / when they finally release it, and maybe the snorkel (my son loves the snorkel but practically when the heck am I going to bury this thing in water up to the intake?).

The front bumpers are on backorder on the AEV site so will keep checking when they get back in stock. Rear bumper timing who knows...they haven't released the full details on this one yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles