2017 Power Wagon

TwinStick

Explorer
I do too. I was trying to be funny, because my PW in particular gets the worst mpg of any vehicle i have owned, ever. In fact, there are Semi-Trucks---loaded, that get the same mpg as my truck does empty. A diesel makes perfect sense to me as well------But------it has to be one that is the same weight (there abouts) as the hemi, otherwise it would take away from its off-road-ness.

It needs around 500 lb ft of torque. Any more than that & people would be blowing out drivetrain parts when all locked up on a high traction surface, like the rocks in MOAB Utah. Thats why the soon to be released Chevy Colorado ZR-2 has so much potential, the 2.8L Duramax diesel. I just hope they don't put such a high price on it that it never gets out of its box, so to speak. Kinda like the Nissan XD diesel. Salesman told me "they would be flying off the lots." The first one they got was the very highest zoot one that could be ordered. $67,000+. He told me to hurry up & come look at it before it was gone. A month later, it was still there.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
A different kind of Power Wagon

I do too. I was trying to be funny, because my PW in particular gets the worst mpg of any vehicle i have owned, ever. In fact, there are Semi-Trucks---loaded, that get the same mpg as my truck does empty. A diesel makes perfect sense to me as well------But------it has to be one that is the same weight (there abouts) as the hemi, otherwise it would take away from its off-road-ness.

It needs around 500 lb ft of torque. Any more than that & people would be blowing out drivetrain parts when all locked up on a high traction surface, like the rocks in MOAB Utah. Thats why the soon to be released Chevy Colorado ZR-2 has so much potential, the 2.8L Duramax diesel. I just hope they don't put such a high price on it that it never gets out of its box, so to speak. Kinda like the Nissan XD diesel. Salesman told me "they would be flying off the lots." The first one they got was the very highest zoot one that could be ordered. $67,000+. He told me to hurry up & come look at it before it was gone. A month later, it was still there.

My Brother has an '05 Power Wagon and has jokingly said the same thing. So your comment made me chuckle, as you intended. :beer:

Long Rifle

Observer
I am hoping AT will market a "Tacoma habitat" cap to fit the PW-this would get my wife and I into 75% of the places we frequent. For the other 25% we would would pull our JKUR behind and base camp. At that point, fuel economy tho important, will be of no concern as this would fit our needs perfectly.

js9234

Observer
I have a 2014 3500 4x4 Cummins with 34's on it which get's me everywhere I want to go with pretty good mpg and pulls anything I need it to. Had it for almost 3 trouble free yrs with lots of off-roading. BUT that PW keeps calling my name. The mpg on the PW is what's scaring me off the most.

Scoutpappa

I have a 2017 and drive Houston daily. Averaging 14 in really mixed conditions (including dragging trailers) so I can tell you that outside of brand new Cummins with no load ever, all of the jacked up power strokes get less mileage than I do. PM in industrial construction so needless to say my peers all drive (insert brand) jacked up (insert height) fully loaded (insert 150,250,350) trucks in the same conditions I do and as such I'm not feeling like I'm missing much. Now, in a few weeks we are doing Big Bend so my thoughts so far are mixed. My pop up does not squat the truck in the least. My 2009 1500 was almost to the bump stops. Having all of the built in towing options will be great. As for gas mileage this will be the test. I have only lost 2 mpg with the PW and the 6.4 compared to the 4.7 and I don't have 5K on the mill yet so according to everything I can find, not broken in yet (10K for break in).

ChinaLakePW

Please don't use my post to start a crazy fan-boy fueled bash-fest (on either side)...

I agree that fuel mileage is important. That being said, the newest generation Power Wagon sees the same mileage as a 100 Series TLC. Despite this, I have seen a number of discussions about PWs devolve into indignation about the PW's thirst for fuel. There is a cost to move this much mass, with this much capability.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
another 2017 owner here

ive been averaging 13.5 CITY, and getting 18mpg on the highway isn't out of the question with the new MDS tunings. Im really really happy with it - if anything i wish there was a way to manually lock in MDS so you could force the engine to operate on 4Cyl more often, or at your choosing. i dont need 425lbsft to navigate city streets.

another thing that i would like to correct from the second post in this thread: the PW has unique coils to it that are 2" taller with more dead coils for axle droop. Fitting other model ram coils in is possible, but you will lower the truck 2 inches and seriously compromise its offroad ability.

I left the Toyota game to come to the PW and i couldn't be happier. Toyota is so far behind on everything its nonsense. I get better fuel milage than a 200 series land cruiser, have more payload, more power and far more off-road capability. A 200 is just as wide as a PW and only a few feet shorter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online