2017 JKU Big Bear - Stock to Overland Build

slvyj

Observer
I'm in Germany, we are issued either state-size plates or European size, depends on your vehicle and what can fit. Does your base do a vehicle inspection? In Germany, it can be difficult to pass a base vehicle inspection with a modified vehicle.

Quadratec, Northridge, Morris4x4; all offer free shipping except when shipping to APO, then you pay the price to ship via USPS and it gets very expensive. For basic maintenance parts, autozone is great, free shipping to APO, no additional charges. The weight limit to APO is 70lbs, so no on the bumpers or the Gobi rack.

If you are doing the build in the UK, I suggest you look at Frontrunner racks, company is out of South Africa and is popular in Europe, I know they have disturbers in Germany, I assume also in the UK.

TTEPHOTOS

Organizer
There are a few places to get parts here so no worries if shipping becomes a pain I will just have to pay the pound cost.. and that's usually just the USD price in GBP, trying to avoid that as it's bull****.

TTEPHOTOS

Organizer
TVMQZou.jpg

Welp I finally got Eliza into the UK!

I can not begin to explain how kickass it is to finally drive my dream car. The Front Runner rack and Alu Cab Expedition 3 should get mounted next month! Let the build begin! I managed to get the freedom panels off on the way to work today. will try for a full top and door removale next time we get some sun (probably 2019... england..) Looking to get dirty next weekend so should get some proper photos then!

Septu

Explorer
Nice list there!

Other than price wise, it's pretty hard to beat a James Baroud. Spent 3 weeks in mine while putting around BC this summer, and it was just as comfy the last night as it was the first night. I've wasted a lot of money on all sorts of ****... but spending the 5k CND I did on that tent (after import/duty taxes and shipping costs) was well worth it.

As for the Titan Tank... I like it and it's nice to have for a few stretches of highway up north here where my jeep with my trailer can't make it from major center (I use the term liberally) to major center. But if I'm being honest, it's far from a need. At the rate I use mine, it will probably take me 30+ years to pay for it vs just adding in 20-30L of overpriced gas to get to the next gas station.

TTEPHOTOS

Organizer
The Titan Tank has a lot more value for me here as I can pay American prices on base. So I can fill up 2 rotopax and the Titan Tank and top up the Jeeps tank to maximize savings on the long trips to Scotland and mainland Europe!

The Expedition 3 won over the JB mostly due to eventually wanting their Shadow Awn 270' awning and it will mount right to the tent, that along with the tent having a rack for more storage should be really nice!

Getting out and dirty this weekend but did manage a few shots in my neighborhood tonite
Hu3xwL7.jpg

Septu

Explorer
The Titan Tank has a lot more value for me here as I can pay American prices on base. So I can fill up 2 rotopax and the Titan Tank and top up the Jeeps tank to maximize savings on the long trips to Scotland and mainland Europe!

The Expedition 3 won over the JB mostly due to eventually wanting their Shadow Awn 270' awning and it will mount right to the tent, that along with the tent having a rack for more storage should be really nice!

Didn't notice your location. Yeah that would change everything!

How are you liking the new stock LED headlights? Any idea on how they compare to the JWSpeakers or Trucklites?

TTEPHOTOS

Organizer
Digging the stock LEDs they work wonders and I would put them on par with aftermarket options. LED option did not get me LED turn signals side markers or rear tail lights however it seems.

TTEPHOTOS

Organizer
eYq6smz.jpg

I have been very very busy guys.. North Coast 500 done, Wales Explored, many parts installed.. Was weird seeing it stock in the above photo again haha 3 months and a lot has changed.. finishing some photos and then will catch everyone up!

TTEPHOTOS

Organizer
Alright WOW, It has been a minute. Ok so for future referance I keep my buildprint pretty up to date. http://buildprint.io/mb/TuckersTravels

However here is what has been done and a few of the adventures it has gone on since we last spoke!
ARB Front Bumper
Alu Cab Ex 3 Tent
Front Runner Slimeline II rack
Camping Vents and Rain guards
Handle inserts
short antenna (byways are not very wide old one was annoying)
Vector Dock and RAM mounts for S8+ and my new Ipad Pro 12" that I use for Topo
Recon LED Turn Signals Smoked
Slats for the roof of the tent
BRO Visor covers/pouches
Grab Bars
HiLift with hood mount
currently getting maxtrax and the side mounts as well as sorting the wiring on a rigid chase light for the rear.

As of today the longest I have lived out of the Jeep is a week an a half, I have done the North Coast 500 and the Lake District as well as S Wales/ Brecon Beacons area. I should be in it for 10 days come the holidays in the Alps if everything goes to plan and then of course next summer is 30days for Nordkapp!

First Byway run
QedHSlY.jpg

Yarwell P&P, some good climbs and some mud
LvziLi8.jpg

S Wales Trip (Top Gear Rd. and some resevouirs)
6Mzak52.jpg
zmdakRH.jpg
Sho4vSJ.jpg

Lake District and N Coast 500 run
YJEZKfw.jpg
YgOpVo7.jpg
9mYbqpQ.jpg
N3BADyx.jpg
hRSfRkm.jpg
07nFUtd.jpg
f95uKkq.jpg
e9bEgoT.jpg
qAik54E.jpg
8LxqTg4.jpg
HmAf1OY.jpg
bwDlJIE.jpg
CgMvQ92.jpg
rEL7XRx.jpg
4sbChDV.jpg
MPLxr93.jpg
FlmMCqx.jpg
123oeQU.jpg

Last edited:

TTEPHOTOS

Organizer
Just spent 3 nights in it up in Snowdonia! Sub Freezing temps and 60mph gusts and one of the worst snow storms for the UK in the last 10yrs, slept like a baby while my buddy almost blew away in his tent. Stripped down to base layer and slept with a blanket for anyone wondering how it handles cold weather. -6c or around 20F is the coldest I have slept and still not had a need to sleep fully clothed with a proper sleeping bag. Doing the Alps at the end of the month though so I could finally find the magical temp that you need to fully wrap up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles