2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with J30 (gobirubicon)

Well the odd thing about the color of the Africa Jeep is that its a faded Gobi color.. so if one could get stock jeep without the clear coat, they might have a look a like. Otherwise one would have to have the jeep Gobi repainted a flat/matte Gobi type color.

As for the smurf jeep, I was thinking more along the lines of the Jeep Chief Concept with a Hawaiian twist by adding many of the same elements from the concept into a last run JK Jeep Unlimited maybe even add some bamboo dash trim.

rubicon91

Explorer
So after I installed all my goodies it was blatantly clear that the stock Springs were not going to handle the weight. I have added approx 250 lbs before the spare tire on the rear of the Jeep. I have really wrestled with what kind of lift I want to do. With the weight I dropped 2.5 inches in the rear over the stock height. Right now I do not have my tire Carrier or spare on and it has helped some. With that being said I decided on getting some heavier Springs for the rear. I settled on the rock krawler 1.5 triple rate Springs. They just came today. I am hoping to get them on this weekend and with any luck it will solve my height/ weight issue until I can decide on a lift and tires I would like to do. I am camping this next weekend as well so with the weight of the trailer and gear this should be ideal. We shall see if my math adds up. Worst case I don't like them and I will pull them back off and take off rear bumper until I can decide on a lift. More to come....
5004ddec2fef8d7af1a4a5ab2162e5c0.jpg
b79ca06603ea4e711286d38e99cf1d7c.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Great idea to baseline your rig! :beer:
Knowing up front what spring rates you'll need, will make it easier to get the right lift kit the first time out. :)

rubicon91

Explorer
Great idea to baseline your rig!
Knowing up front what spring rates you'll need, will make it easier to get the right lift kit the first time out. :)
We shall see Comanche lol. In my head it is going to work out great but I have been know to screw things up a time or two. I should be able to get them on this week. In other news my kargo master hinge steps will be here Monday. Can't wait to get them installed on the rear doors.

rubicon91

Explorer
Got the install done tonight on the new springs. Doing the calculations I added over 250lbs with the spare tire included. Probably closer to 300lbs. I decided on some rock krawler 1.5 inch triple rate coil springs for the rear as you saw a few posts ago. As you can see they are so much bigger than the stock ones. I have to look but I am pretty sure I had the bottom end Springs in the Jeep as I didn't have max tow. Which would explain a lot.
9b29973c857079aad9525f48b05512a0.jpg

Well after getting them installed I couldn't be happier. It was one of those things that I hoped took me back to stock height so I didn't make a rash decision on a lift. It gave me a little over 2 inches back in the rear. A small rake but I will take that over the sag I had. Also since I didn't have the necessary tools I was going to have a shop do them. 2 places quoted me 2 hours to do at $100/hr approx. Stupid crazy etc so my buddy who helps me said let's just rent a spring compressor and we can do it as he had everything at his house but that. Since he offered of course I said yes. Well it took us just a little over an hour to do it.

Before the springs were installed
18cd7ceac021c45e68f9a5da89188715.jpg

And after
9f51716337fcdfcf0b0477755d5cf474.jpg

Now I can take my time deciding on a lift.

Last edited:

rubicon91

Explorer
Now I am off to my next purchase which is going to be either some procomp 7069 wheels or the level 8 trackers. On my 06 I had the procomp and I had mb razors on the 12 I just got rid of. I love the look of those wheels and will use them with the stock tires for now. I wish Jeep made the rubi rims with better backspacing or something as I would love to just keep these but I'm not going to do spacers to do that.

Last edited:

rubicon91

Explorer
As I was saying about wheels last night I have this thing for a certain type of wheel. I would love to get the AEV Savegre's but I just cannot get myself to spend $235/wheel. On my 2006 TJ Rubi I had the procomp 7069 and on my 12 I had the MB Razors. Nothing else really has peaked my interest or if it has it is way more than I want to spend. So it would appear I am most likely going to do the Level 8 Trackers as Discount Tire Direct has a great special going on right now for them.

Attachments

• photo12.jpg
    photo12.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 105
  • 20161026_121303_resized.jpg
    20161026_121303_resized.jpg
    604.5 KB · Views: 111
Got the install done tonight on the new springs. Doing the calculations I added over 250lbs with the spare tire included. Probably closer to 300lbs. I decided on some rock krawler 1.5 inch triple rate coil springs for the rear as you saw a few posts ago. As you can see they are so much bigger than the stock ones. I have to look but I am pretty sure I had the bottom end Springs in the Jeep as I didn't have max tow. Which would explain a lot.
9b29973c857079aad9525f48b05512a0.jpg

Well after getting them installed I couldn't be happier. It was one of those things that I hoped took me back to stock height so I didn't make a rash decision on a lift. It gave me a little over 2 inches back in the rear. A small rake but I will take that over the sag I had. Also since I didn't have the necessary tools I was going to have a shop do them. 2 places quoted me 2 hours to do at $100/hr approx. Stupid crazy etc so my buddy who helps me said let's just rent a spring compressor and we can do it as he had everything at his house but that. Since he offered of course I said yes. Well it took us just a little over an hour to do it.

Before the springs were installed
18cd7ceac021c45e68f9a5da89188715.jpg

And after
9f51716337fcdfcf0b0477755d5cf474.jpg

Now I can take my time deciding on a lift.

Shoot man, looks good enough for me with any sort of lift.. just adding the coils would suit our needs and would allow for slightly larger tires.. Defiantly use your thread as a reference for those coils. Looks good been following.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Springs came out awesome! :beer:
One of my favorite things about your last rig was the wheel/tire choice, so yeah, I'm on board with your new choice. :victory:

rubicon91

Explorer
Springs came out awesome! :beer:
One of my favorite things about your last rig was the wheel/tire choice, so yeah, I'm on board with your new choice. :victory:

In all my awesomeness :ugh: I completely forgot what date it was so I missed out on the killer deal that DTD had as it expired yesterday lol. So I decided I will wait until the sale happens again and in the mean time I ordered some Bartract front seat covers from Northridge. And I am most likely going to be placing my order for the Goose Gear side cubbies to complete the back of the Jeep. Stay tuned for more on that... I am now changing mindset and will prepare for a nice weekend camping with friends. I will be leaving at 1230 or so Friday and need to get packed up tonight
:campfire::camping:

rubicon91

Explorer
Nothing too exciting but brown santa did drop off my Kargomaster Hinge steps so of course I had to get those on yesterday.

Attachments

• 20170323_095221_resized.jpg
    20170323_095221_resized.jpg
    550.9 KB · Views: 112
  • 20170323_095516_resized.jpg
    20170323_095516_resized.jpg
    564.7 KB · Views: 110

wasatchcascade

Reflection
Looking at your new wheels, got my mind right off crazy politics, (for the moment). My, & my buddies, Rubicon's, were purchased used, and so we weren't able to dial in a "requested" coat. For a desert vehicle though (most often where I travel) I'd love to have that (your) tone replacing my white 2dr. Nice! Good luck on your build out. Our vehicles are "expedition" types that put us into zones where we hike, explore in more remote spots. On the 4dr "my buddy" went with a 3 inch lift and 33" tires, and underbody protection plus..; this after (we) doing many Maze area trips (& Canyonlands/Needles) over/back Elephant Hill into Devils Kitchen Camp area/zone. My 2dr (much more nimble) already had a 1.5 lift. The Rubicon, a most ubiquitous travel unit. And the stream of money needed/used for upgrades. There are so many regional vendors out there, with boundless private line holy grail options; and shops that emphasize A, B or C. Happy Trails.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles