2017 G550 - Tire Options

greynolds

Observer
greynolds that's a good looking G! When the warranty runs out on mine I am probably going to get a 2017 G63 as well! Just have to get an OEM 20" spare which matches the four wheels and slap the same rubber on.

The trick is coming up with a spare tire cover option that fits the larger tire. The stock cover won't fit and going without a cover won't look good at all because the spare gets mounted backwards.

greynolds

Observer
Any issues with ESP with the 32" size on the 2017? Where you able to get the software changed over? Can you detail what they did?
No issues so far. I'm not sure if they made any software / settings updates for the new tire size; the salesperson did tell me the speedometer would most likely be off by a few mph. So as far as I know all they did was swap the tires.

I know this thread was initially intended for G550 tire options, but since I traded in a 2014 G550 for a 2016 G550 with the adjustable suspension option and then traded the 2016 in for the 2017 G63, people might appreciate a brief comparison. I've only put around 300 miles on the G63 so far and around 100 of those miles are highway miles.

Comparing the 2014 G550 to the 2016 G550, I felt the adjustable suspension was kind of a compromise and something that I sort of had a love / hate relationship with. The comfort mode made for a comfortable ride, but never felt quite right in comparison to the 2014 when going over speed bumps - it felt like it was bottoming out or something. Otherwise, comfort mode was pretty good in most conditions. On the highway, sport mode definitely firmed things up and made the vehicle feel like it was wandering a lot less, but never felt quite "right". I just don't think they got the tuning for the 2 options quite right. I had decided that if I got another G550, I would probably not get one with the adjustable suspension.

Comparing the 2016 G550 to the 2017 G63, on typical roads around here, where there are lots of irregularities in the pavement, the sporty suspension tuning on the G63 is definitely a rougher ride than comfort mode on the G550 adjustable suspension, but not objectionably so. So far, I'm not noticing any tuning issues with the suspension when going over rough roads or speed bumps. It's clearly somewhat stiff, but feels right.

On the highway, the suspension tuning of the G63 is hands down better than either G550 option. It's MUCH more pleasant to drive at higher speeds and more than makes up for any possible downside of being a rougher ride on back roads. The additional horsepower also makes it even more pleasant to drive, not that the engine in the G550 is a slouch.

So far, the BFG KO2's have been just fine. There's very little road noise on the highway and they don't seem to have caused any handling or ride quality issues. They'll clearly be significantly better than the stock high performance tires in snow and ice and should be excellent in just about any condition other than extreme off road. But I'm not about to take a $150K vehicle on any extreme off road trips any time soon. I know it's only 300 miles so far, but I highly recommend the BFG's; my previous experience with an older version of these tires on a 1995 Land Rover Discovery was nothing but positive.

HeliNomad

Adventurer
Great write up. Thank you. It seems that a 31.8" ~32" tire is totally safe to use then these 2017 models without any side effects. The 275-55-20 should actually be a solid 32 but I've noticed that the BFG run a little small....actually only 31.8"...which might be perfect. Overall it's a great solution for the G63. I'd love to see someone try a 275-65-R18 BFG KO2 on a G550 and run a full articulation, handling, transmission, and ESP test. Anyone know?

1range

Adventurer
hey chinochulo, ha yes it is kevlar. I wanted to try something different and when we use it on the ranch it comes in handy ;)

HeliNomad

Adventurer
Alright, today I switched over to 275/65R18 BF Goodrich AT KO2s. This is the right size for a stock late model (2017) G in my opinion. There are no issues in ride quality, transmission shifting, traction control, speedometer is only slightly off (1 mph low at 40 mph), rubbing under full articulation, rubbing while turning, etc. The 265/65R18 is good but the tire is a bit narrow for the stance and weight of the truck in my opinion. 32" is the perfect size IMO for the G. I thought I'd post this for reference to others wondering if a 32" works on a stock G.

As for the spare tire carrier, I ordered a custom 32" tire cover from Tim's Loft who makes the Brawny series for the G Wagon. I didn't like the oversized Mercedes star logo so he made me a custom cover with a smaller star. His service is flawless and turn around time for a custom cover is amazing. I'll post a photo as soon as I get it.

Thanks

IMG_2485.jpg

Last edited:

rjl

Ryan
Any 19" recommendations? Seeing as that is the stock configuration.

Coming from an LR4 owner, you are **** outta luck for 19's. You have Cooper Zeon LTZ's and Goodyear Duratracs, the latter of which may or may not be discontinued. Those are XL-rated only, too; no LT or E-rated tires in 19.

Get 18 inch wheels.

greynolds

Observer
I also found Atturo Trail Blade M/T in a 255/55/19, any thoughts on those?
I've never heard of that brand of tires, so I'd be very hesitant to try them. I agree with the advice to switch wheel size instead. I have 275/55R20 BFG AT KO2's on my 2017 G63 on the stock 20" wheels and have been really happy with them so far. The 19" wheels are a really difficult size to work with for good tire options.

Check out my custom 32" tire cover from Tim's Loft. He did a great job. This thing is premium.
That is pretty sharp looking, though it might look even better if the MB logo was a bit larger (seeing it in person might change my mind on that).

HeliNomad

Adventurer
I've never heard of that brand of tires, so I'd be very hesitant to try them. I agree with the advice to switch wheel size instead. I have 275/55R20 BFG AT KO2's on my 2017 G63 on the stock 20" wheels and have been really happy with them so far. The 19" wheels are a really difficult size to work with for good tire options.

That is pretty sharp looking, though it might look even better if the MB logo was a bit larger (seeing it in person might change my mind on that).

I actually had Tim make me a custom one with a small logo because it matches the size on the standard cover. The large one looked aftermarket to me. But to each his own. Cover is great and Tim will make you anything you want.

Trevor Ely

Alright, today I switched over to 275/65R18 BF Goodrich AT KO2s. This is the right size for a stock late model (2017) G in my opinion. There are no issues in ride quality, transmission shifting, traction control, speedometer is only slightly off (1 mph low at 40 mph), rubbing under full articulation, rubbing while turning, etc. The 265/65R18 is good but the tire is a bit narrow for the stance and weight of the truck in my opinion. 32" is the perfect size IMO for the G. I thought I'd post this for reference to others wondering if a 32" works on a stock G.

As for the spare tire carrier, I ordered a custom 32" tire cover from Tim's Loft who makes the Brawny series for the G Wagon. I didn't like the oversized Mercedes star logo so he made me a custom cover with a smaller star. His service is flawless and turn around time for a custom cover is amazing. I'll post a photo as soon as I get it.

Thanks

View attachment 384417

Just used this size on another '17 G550 in addition to the VTS 30mm wheel spacers and can also confirm there's no rubbing, ESP freak outs, etc. Thanks for the sharing the info!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles