2017 Ford F150 (not too crazy and not too sparse = just right)

RBA

Adventurer
I've seen F150 "built" in two fashions on this site. Either a full blown better then a Raptor with upper and lower control arms which requires new body panels or basic shock upgrades and a few other accessories. Allow me to present option 3. A built up 2017 F150 that addresses several issues without going overboard (in my humble opinion).

Exhibit A
IMG_2716-X2.jpg

Cargo Rack - Lietner (the best option in my opinion to carry RTT)
Tent - Tepui (wish I had gone hard shell that quicker and easier to setup)
Lighting - Baja Designs (great lights, its as if my LED headlights don't work)
Suspension - King coilovers (front) with Icon DJ UCA , Deaver +2 inch Raptor Springs with King Shocks (more clearance with the 2 inch lift and better ride quality)
Tires - BFG AT/KO2 in 34" (gives me additional clearance while not rubbing anywhere, even at full articulation. And Yes, the full size spare fits under the truck in the stock location.
Wheels - Fuel Vapor +1mm (better looks then stock)
Protection - RCI armor underneath (helps against the long wheelbase breakover angle)
Electric Power - National Luna Power Bank (insurance against running my main battery low. Remote allows me to run batteries in parallel if needed to jump myself.
Fridge - Engel (we all need a fridge)

IMG_2796-X2.jpg

IMG_2798-X2.jpg

IMG_2800-X2.jpg

IMG_2802-X2.jpg

IMG_2803-X2.jpg

IMG_2804-X2.jpg

IMG_2805-X2.jpg

IMG_2807-X2.jpg

IMG_2806-X2.jpg

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Simple, elegant and most importantly a dirty and well used truck, I like. I have always been a big fan of FX4 platform. Good looking truck!

noreserve

Nice setup! I have a 2016 F-150 Supercrew (Magnetic FX4) myself. You have given me a couple of ideas. I am looking at my options in regard to an Overlanding setup. I have the Leitner rack, Decked drawer system and love both of those. I'm interested in a few things that you have done if you don't mind sharing some details.

* Fridge mounting - I'm assuming it's in the cab. Did you go with a slide? I have an ARB Elements fridge that may not work on a slide - may end up just using a mounting bracket, but need to look at options on the interior to bolt it down. I'm leery of any drilling requirements. I am looking at the Goal Zero 1000 from Costco or something like the NL that you have. Is the NL power supply mounted and running back inside? How do you recharge it? I've looked into a 100-watt solar panel and would love to mount one on a roof rack, but that in itself is a challenge with the F-150. I, probably as you have, find that the F-150 is just uncharted territory on some of this stuff. A roof rack on a truck like this isn't too common. I really wish Ford had manufactured it with some roof rail mounting points ready to go. I would need to drill and use nutserts like I did with the Leitner in order to get rails for the Eezi-Awn K9 rack mounted. That isn't for the faint of heart when there isn't any real guideline to go by. I have the twin moonroof and all of the stuff that I'm not wanting to hit when drilling. All that just to get a solar panel. I do love the K9 rack though. I've done the research and that one is better than the Frontrunner and others in terms of strength, design and welding of slats, etc. Anyhow, not to get off on a tangent, but I have this nice new ARB fridge that isn't yet functional. :)

* On the suspension choice... Can you elaborate on your decision to go with a hybrid of King and Icon? I know that it's probably hard to go wrong with King, Icon or Fox in any combo, but I would have probably leaned toward a full system offering from one of them - at least the Icon system is one I know is offered specifically for our truck. I'm sure they are worlds better than the factory setup with it's "heavy-duty" FX4 shocks - ha ha. None of those options are cheap though - Icon's Stage 4 was like $4K or something. I'm definitely not looking to do a big 'ol lift that most folks around here seem to like. I want to keep it as low-profile as possible while still providing additional clearance and more durability.

* I have a Lariat with most available options, so 20" wheels stock. I will most likely go 17 or 18" and BFG ATs like yours - it's hard to argue with those tires. Did you have 20" wheels stock? Good to hear that the ride is better than stock with yours, so with smaller wheels, I'll have even more cushion.

* Final question - weight. Do you have concerns about hitting payload as you add more items? I have a spreadsheet of my current and planned items and I'm nearing the 1752 lb payload that I have. Some of the items I have yet to add include all of the above mentioned ones, plus Eezi-Awn RTT, awning, Warn Ascent front/rear bumpers, Warn winch, RCI sliders, RCI skid plates, two occupants, items in the Decked drawers, luggage, etc. and I'm down to about 200 or so pounds left. That's not enough to tow much of a trailer due to tongue weight coming off of the payload. If I had it to do over again, I would look at the F-250 or that AEV Prospector XL beast - ha ha. Anyhow, I'll probably start another thread on the payload stuff. I know a lot of folks have to be exceeding their payload if we with the aluminum body F-150 and 1750 lb payload are.

Glad to see a similar F-150! I'll check back on your response and your progress.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Beautiful! Love seeing more full size rigs on here. Especially f-150s.

I just picked up a 2018 with the 2.7. Love that little engine so far. It's a rental so not going to mod it until the lease is done and purchase a different truck.
Keep the pics coming!

RBA

Adventurer
* Fridge mounting - I'm assuming it's in the cab. Did you go with a slide? I have an ARB Elements fridge that may not work on a slide - may end up just using a mounting bracket, but need to look at options on the interior to bolt it down. I'm leery of any drilling requirements. I am looking at the Goal Zero 1000 from Costco or something like the NL that you have. Is the NL power supply mounted and running back inside? How do you recharge it? I've looked into a 100-watt solar panel and would love to mount one on a roof rack, but that in itself is a challenge with the F-150. I, probably as you have, find that the F-150 is just uncharted territory on some of this stuff. A roof rack on a truck like this isn't too common. I really wish Ford had manufactured it with some roof rail mounting points ready to go. I would need to drill and use nutserts like I did with the Leitner in order to get rails for the Eezi-Awn K9 rack mounted. That isn't for the faint of heart when there isn't any real guideline to go by. I have the twin moonroof and all of the stuff that I'm not wanting to hit when drilling. All that just to get a solar panel. I do love the K9 rack though. I've done the research and that one is better than the Frontrunner and others in terms of strength, design and welding of slats, etc. Anyhow, not to get off on a tangent, but I have this nice new ARB fridge that isn't yet functional. :)

* On the suspension choice... Can you elaborate on your decision to go with a hybrid of King and Icon? I know that it's probably hard to go wrong with King, Icon or Fox in any combo, but I would have probably leaned toward a full system offering from one of them - at least the Icon system is one I know is offered specifically for our truck. I'm sure they are worlds better than the factory setup with it's "heavy-duty" FX4 shocks - ha ha. None of those options are cheap though - Icon's Stage 4 was like $4K or something. I'm definitely not looking to do a big 'ol lift that most folks around here seem to like. I want to keep it as low-profile as possible while still providing additional clearance and more durability.

* I have a Lariat with most available options, so 20" wheels stock. I will most likely go 17 or 18" and BFG ATs like yours - it's hard to argue with those tires. Did you have 20" wheels stock? Good to hear that the ride is better than stock with yours, so with smaller wheels, I'll have even more cushion.

* Final question - weight. Do you have concerns about hitting payload as you add more items? I have a spreadsheet of my current and planned items and I'm nearing the 1752 lb payload that I have. Some of the items I have yet to add include all of the above mentioned ones, plus Eezi-Awn RTT, awning, Warn Ascent front/rear bumpers, Warn winch, RCI sliders, RCI skid plates, two occupants, items in the Decked drawers, luggage, etc. and I'm down to about 200 or so pounds left. That's not enough to tow much of a trailer due to tongue weight coming off of the payload. If I had it to do over again, I would look at the F-250 or that AEV Prospector XL beast - ha ha. Anyhow, I'll probably start another thread on the payload stuff. I know a lot of folks have to be exceeding their payload if we with the aluminum body F-150 and 1750 lb payload are.

Hi,

Currently my fridges (national luna and a Engel) are in the bed. Not ideal I know, but for the last couple of trips it worked out fine. I could run the engel in the cab with the rear socket and using forscan to disable the timer, so the socket is always hot.

For suspension, I had the bilstein 5100 initially and it was real nice but I wanted something that can take the extra weight and give me a better all-around ride but on and off road. I toyed with Icon and Fox mainly but considered Boss too. Eventually after some research, I decided that in my opinion King made the best shocks and I could get them to my spec. They even made springs for the front, so the full coilover would be King The only question was rear springs and that became a no brainer by going with Deaver. Mine are the Raptor spec with a 2inch lift over stock. They're progressive and don't sag as much as the stock springs. For the UCA I decided on the Icon's because of the delta joint. Seemed like it had the best of both worlds in terms of design. I have a brand new set of Camburg's if anyone wants them...cheap.

I should have gone to 18 or 17 and may ultimately get another set of wheels. My current set was meant to be my on road combination. You should get a slightly nicer rider especially offroad since you'll be able to air down more then me.

I'm not concerned about payload because I'm no where near the limit.

hope that helped.

rajacat

Hi,

For suspension, I had the bilstein 5100 initially and it was real nice but I wanted something that can take the extra weight and give me a better all-around ride but on and off road. I toyed with Icon and Fox mainly but considered Boss too. Eventually after some research, I decided that in my opinion King made the best shocks and I could get them to my spec. They even made springs for the front, so the full coilover would be King The only question was rear springs and that became a no brainer by going with Deaver. Mine are the Raptor spec with a 2inch lift over stock. They're progressive and don't sag as much as the stock springs. For the UCA I decided on the Icon's because of the delta joint. Seemed like it had the best of both worlds in terms of design. I have a brand new set of Camburg's if anyone wants them...cheap.

I should have gone to 18 or 17 and may ultimately get another set of wheels. My current set was meant to be my on road combination. You should get a slightly nicer rider especially offroad since you'll be able to air down more then me.

I'm not concerned about payload because I'm no where near the limit.

hope that helped.
I have a 2018 F150. In your research on shocks did you find any that have an easily adjustable lift level. I use my truck as a daily driver and only want a lift when going offroad.

michael_l

Observer
Nice looking truck! I fully agree on the just right part - at risk of stealing your thread, I had the same priorities when building my F150 out. 2016 5.0 FX4 with Boss front and rear, wheels, tires, and a rack / tent set up. So far we've gotten quite a bit off the beaten path from California to South Carolina and everywhere in between and it's worked awesome. RCIs are on the list if we move back out west, as is a power solution / fridge some day. Otherwise, I don't need much else of anything. Good looking truck!

Attachments

• IMG_20170506_161919852_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170506_161919852_HDR.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 344

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles