2017 FG Alert?

GaryL

My FG had a recall to replace the rocker arms. When I had it done they found a broken exhaust rocker arm and a damaged valve. This of course required pulling the head and took some effort and time to complete. I don’t know when it broke since there was no additional noise and seemed to drive OK, thank God for having four valves per cylinder. When I got it back I was hoping it would be quieter and have a little more power, no such luck. The bottom line is, even if you think your 2017 FG is OK get it fixed before you have bigger problems.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
This new 3 litre "world engine", that is used in the current Fuso Canter, seems to be quite problematic.
I am definitely not upset that I have the previous model, that has the 4M50 4.9 litre engine, which is a very reliable workhorse.

Desert Lovers

My FG had a recall to replace the rocker arms. When I had it done they found a broken exhaust rocker arm and a damaged valve. This of course required pulling the head and took some effort and time to complete. I don’t know when it broke since there was no additional noise and seemed to drive OK, thank God for having four valves per cylinder. When I got it back I was hoping it would be quieter and have a little more power, no such luck. The bottom line is, even if you think your 2017 FG is OK get it fixed before you have bigger problems.
that's scary im trying to work out if I should buy a new Isuzu or new canter canter today most likely will be Isuzu too tomorrow

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Fuso has a gas engine available now - I haven't heard anything about it, which is a lot better than all the problems I've heard about in the diesel 3.0

Plumb Bob

Fuso has a gas engine available now - I haven't heard anything about it, which is a lot better than all the problems I've heard about in the diesel 3.0

Fuso quickly handled the rocker recall in my case.

The gas engines are not trouble free from the numerous mechanics I have dealt with after 4 trips to various Fuso dealers with my past 2017 :)

The gas engines have had several lubrication issues. Mechanics complain that you need 3 different scanners and connections to work on the gas vehicles... GMC engine, Allison transmission, Fuso computer. And they are not always on the same page.

DzlToy

Explorer
Simple, is most often best. MFTB has produced Grade A Select garbage for the last 7 or 8 years. The Duonic transmission was awful, the lack of low range was a dumb decision and and there are dozens of threads on here detailing serious problems encountered by owners of the latest generation trucks. (2012+ IIRC)

In the West, it is very difficult for people to understand that "new" is rarely better. If I spent 40 or 50 grand on a truck and had the problems that some of the guys I have talked to had, I would probably be tied up in a very large lawsuit. You will never convince me that Fuso does not know how to make a rocker arm last or how to build a transmission. They are a HUGE company and this is existing, off the shelf tech, that has been around for years.

If you want a cabover, go buy a 15-20 year old NPR with a 6.0L GM gas motor in it, toss a Dana 60 with a locker in the back and go enjoy whatever it is that you do. The money you save ($20k - $40k) will pay for the axle and lots of fuel. Paying $50,000 for a junky truck and years of hassles, down time, headaches, lost work and ruined vacations have no place in my world. I have talked to guys who are on their third engine and/or third transmission, and STILL having problems with their Fuso trucks. In modern times, there is simply no excuse for this in an FG or in any other vehicle.

The only way that producing crap and attempting to pawn it off on an unsuspecting public is going to stop is by leaving the OEM stuck with hundreds or thousands of unsold vehicles that are so poorly received, they literally cannot be given away.

Desert Lovers

Simple, is most often best. MFTB has produced Grade A Select garbage for the last 7 or 8 years. The Duonic transmission was awful, the lack of low range was a dumb decision and and there are dozens of threads on here detailing serious problems encountered by owners of the latest generation trucks. (2012+ IIRC)

In the West, it is very difficult for people to understand that "new" is rarely better. If I spent 40 or 50 grand on a truck and had the problems that some of the guys I have talked to had, I would probably be tied up in a very large lawsuit. You will never convince me that Fuso does not know how to make a rocker arm last or how to build a transmission. They are a HUGE company and this is existing, off the shelf tech, that has been around for years.

If you want a cabover, go buy a 15-20 year old NPR with a 6.0L GM gas motor in it, toss a Dana 60 with a locker in the back and go enjoy whatever it is that you do. The money you save ($20k - $40k) will pay for the axle and lots of fuel. Paying $50,000 for a junky truck and years of hassles, down time, headaches, lost work and ruined vacations have no place in my world. I have talked to guys who are on their third engine and/or third transmission, and STILL having problems with their Fuso trucks. In modern times, there is simply no excuse for this in an FG or in any other vehicle.

The only way that producing crap and attempting to pawn it off on an unsuspecting public is going to stop is by leaving the OEM stuck with hundreds or thousands of unsold vehicles that are so poorly received, they literally cannot be given away.
well said l couldn't agree more with your comments i'm in the market for a new truck looking at both the Isuzu & canter it is such a shame that after spending all that money to buy the truck you then have to nearly rebuild it to make it drivable starting to think I might have to stick to my 1987 troopy Peter

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
starting to think I might have to stick to my 1987 troopy
As I have said to you previously, the current Isuzu NPS is a good truck and it would be my first choice out of the currently available 4x4 alternatives (Fuso, Iveco and Hino).
That Sitec engine is a tried and tested unit.

Desert Lovers

As I have said to you previously, the current Isuzu NPS is a good truck and it would be my first choice out of the currently available 4x4 alternatives (Fuso, Iveco and Hino).
That Sitec engine is a tried and tested unit.
Yep you are right and I reckon that's the way I will go

GrantBerry

My FG had a recall to replace the rocker arms. When I had it done they found a broken exhaust rocker arm and a damaged valve. ...The bottom line is, even if you think your 2017 FG is OK get it fixed before you have bigger problems.
Wow! My 2017 FGB71 threw a valve this morning. Nasty engine knock. Only done 30,000km and 34 months old (Warrantee is 36 months/100,000km). So am trusting the Dealership will do the right thing even though i bought it 2nd hand at 26,000km from a Commercial Truck dealer on the other side of the country. I'll let you know the outcome.

Alpina FG

My 2017 also experienced the rocker recall. I was told it was a VIN range not including all 2017 VIN numbers. In 4,000 miles (one year while building the body) I have had a rockers and related done, a MAP sensor replaced (tripped a light), twice in for door locks and now have another light illuminated, so need to get to the dealer. I'm hoping I made a good vehicle choice, but suspect I did not. BTW, my dealer has been very good. Rendels in Joliet, IL.

GrantBerry

@GaryL & @Michelle@EarthCruiser & @Desert Lovers - Today brings good news ! : Yes Daimler Trucks confirmed that the 'valve drop' incident at 30,000km is indeed due to the "rocker-arm failure" for which there is a recall. I went in for a chat this morning, they have parts on order, and I will have my truck on the road again in a couple of weeks, all covered under warantee. A great relief.
The details the Foreman gave : Rocker arm failed, causing exhaust valve on piston #1 to let go. Needs replacement rocker arm (obviously), whole new head, new valves and a new exhaust cam. Oils/liquids get replaced in the process too, so good as new, freshly serviced :) I'm happy with that.
Looking at the Japanese recall, the issue affects all those engines from Dec 2016 to May 2017 (same engine used in other Fuso vehicles too, not just the Canter) Vehicles produced after that date are fine.
So, yes - what @GaryL said : " IF YOU HAVE A 2017 FUSO, GET IT CHECKED FOR THE ROCKER-ARM RECALL". It is an official Aussie recall now.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles