2017 F150 SCREW 4x4 build Thread

D

Deleted member 9101

thing is truck has the 2.7 ecoboost, great mileage but i am worried about life span . wanted the V8 ,I do not know if i should settle for the little motor . What engine is in your truck? $15,000 off list price ,but if it cant do the job then its a big mistake for me.

That "little motor" will out preform the 5.0, get better fuel economy, and last just as long.

I have the 2.7 in my personal truck and had the 5.0 in my previous work truck (had the 3.5 before that). The only thing the 5.0 does better is the way it sounds.

There are some good 2.7 F150 groups on Facebook with tons of people towing 30' travel trailers or running 35" tires with no issues.

mobydick 11

I saw a video were these guys were drag racing all the different ford motors in F150 trucks . they were pulling big trailers , the 2.7 broke its drive shaft or U joint . must have lots of power to do that . My brother had the 3.6 I think it was . pulled a 5th wheel ,great mileage empty but when pulling it got real bad . guess it takes air and gas to make power no mater what you have .I think with these hi tech motors proper maintenance is critical . thanks

D

Deleted member 9101

I saw a video were these guys were drag racing all the different ford motors in F150 trucks . they were pulling big trailers , the 2.7 broke its drive shaft or U joint . must have lots of power to do that . My brother had the 3.6 I think it was . pulled a 5th wheel ,great mileage empty but when pulling it got real bad . guess it takes air and gas to make power no mater what you have .I think with these hi tech motors proper maintenance is critical . thanks

It broke a Ujoint. I put down more power than their test truck with my 2.7 and I haven't broken anything. They either did something drastically wrong, or it was a faulty part.

If you watch the video, you will see the 2.7 pulls like a freight train... it beats the 5.0.

*the trucks were tested stock and then with a tune. It broke the parts after the tune was installed.

Last edited by a moderator:

kahos

That "little motor" will out preform the 5.0, get better fuel economy, and last just as long.

I have the 2.7 in my personal truck and had the 5.0 in my previous work truck (had the 3.5 before that). The only thing the 5.0 does better is the way it sounds.

There are some good 2.7 F150 groups on Facebook with tons of people towing 30' travel trailers or running 35" tires with no issues.

Agreed. I have a 2018 with the 2.7 and it's a real powerhouse. It has a CGI block just like the 6.7 powerstroke so I'm not too worried about durability. I drove the 2.7 and 5.0 back to back and found the 2.7 more enjoyable. Ironically, the lower displacement mill feels a lot stronger in the lower rev range. The twin turbos have no lag. It's somewhat diesel like in that it will upshift below 2k rpm if you're just cruising along. Put it in sport mode and it's a rocketship. It's sort of silly how quickly these full size trucks will get to speed.

Even when towing or going up steep grades it'll keep the revs way down (but the mileage will suffer) It really ruined normally aspirated engines for me.
The 5.0 is no slouch and definitely has more power in the top end but it needs to rev to make power. It sounds good and I'm sure it's a riot in a mustang but that's not the kind of power delivery I'm looking for in a truck.

D

Deleted member 9101

Agreed. I have a 2018 with the 2.7 and it's a real powerhouse. It has a CGI block just like the 6.7 powerstroke so I'm not too worried about durability. I drove the 2.7 and 5.0 back to back and found the 2.7 more enjoyable. Ironically, the lower displacement mill feels a lot stronger in the lower rev range. The twin turbos have no lag. It's somewhat diesel like in that it will upshift below 2k rpm if you're just cruising along. Put it in sport mode and it's a rocketship. It's sort of silly how quickly these full size trucks will get to speed.

Even when towing or going up steep grades it'll keep the revs way down (but the mileage will suffer) It really ruined normally aspirated engines for me.
The 5.0 is no slouch and definitely has more power in the top end but it needs to rev to make power. It sounds good and I'm sure it's a riot in a mustang but that's not the kind of power delivery I'm looking for in a truck.

From what I have seen, the people that doubt the 2.7 have either not driven one or not seen the dyno results from one... or only focus on the displacement.

With the simple addition of a tune the 2.7 turns into an absolute beast. It's not uncommon to have them run low 13's in the 1/4 mile. Toss in a few supporting mods and they can dip into the 12's.

D

Deleted member 9101

So to be clear, in F-150 application, you guys endorse the 2.7 Eco over the 3.5 Eco?? And both over the 5.0?

The 2.7 vs. the 3.5 depends on how much you plan on towing. If you are not going to exceed the tow rating of the 2.7, then you have no reason to buy a 3.5 (unless you are a horse power junkie and plan on modifying it). They perform roughly the same until you get a pretty heavy trailer behind them, then the 3.5 shows its brute strength. Up to that point the 2.7 has almost identical performance numbers and uses less fuel. Plus it's never had a problem with the dreaded "timing chain slap" that seems to hit some of the 3.5's.

I have had 9k behind mine before (only rated for 7500) and it had zero complaints. The TQ comes on pretty quick and it never once struggled to keep up with traffic.

There is nothing wrong with the 5.0, but it does nothing better than either EcoBoost and is slower. The only upside it it sounds good when you open it up, other than that it's pretty bland. The 2.7 and 5.0 both have the same 400 ftlb of Tq... the 2.7 hits at 2,750 RPM and the 5.0 has to wrap up to 4,500 RPM. By the time the 5.0 hits its powerband, the 2.7 has already hit the next gear and is pulling ahead.

If you are a HP junkie it's pretty easy to have 500 HP at the rear wheels with a 3.5, on pump gas, and daily driven.

Last edited by a moderator:

bglenden

An advantage of the 5.0 is you don't need to worry about blocking the intercooler if you want to get a winch bumper.

Reactions: JP2
D

Deleted member 9101

An advantage of the 5.0 is you don't need to worry about blocking the intercooler if you want to get a winch bumper.

You can get an intercooler than mounts infront of the radiator, rather than below it.

Attachments

• 2015-f-150-ecoboost-freakoboost-intercooler-cac-upgrade-kit-2-content-6.jpg
    2015-f-150-ecoboost-freakoboost-intercooler-cac-upgrade-kit-2-content-6.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 54
I have the 2.7 in my 2015. 60k miles and it hasn't given me the faintest hint of a issue. I have the 36gal fuel tank. 4v4 FX4 Lariat supercab. I can get over 700 miles on a full tank with stock wheel/tires. My only issue with mine is now I want a crewcab, and if I do that and still want a 6ft bed I might as well upgrade to a superduty.

JP2

But in all seriousness if you’re really worried about power you can buy a roush charger that will take you to the mid 600s on hp and keep your factory warranty. I didn’t do that one because it’s not the charger I wanted. After the warranty is up a pulley change takes you to about 720hp. But for about 6k on top of the truck price you can have pretty noises and plenty of power.

D

Deleted member 9101

Just a note, my truck is 5.0. I’ve proven several times I can still run 80 with a 30mph headwind on the interstate. And as soon as my 50k mile warranty is up it will get forced induction. Then bring me your 2.7, 3.5, powerstroke, whatever ?

I'll take those odds.... I'm not stock either ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles