2017 F150 SCREW 4x4 build Thread

Tiki

Observer
Great build. I've considered going to a Ford due to their ability to have F/R locked, Something you can't do on 1500 model GMs.

ITTOG

I have done both the add a leaf and air bags on a few of my trucks. The air bags cost more, but work soooooo much better. Add a leafs make you ride like crap when you're empty and they also raise **************** end, which looks funny.

I don't know how air bags work off road, by guess would be you could make a limiting strap to save them if they are not able to flex with the truck.
+1

No personal experience but I was told shirt bags with stops in them work fine off-roading.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Grassland

I ran add a leaf on my truck for years. Since my truck always had 1000+ lbs in it until recently. I also added 3" blocks, but now that I only usually have 400 lbs in it, it sits too high with the taller blocks. I've personally not really ever run a truck without stuff in and on it keeping the back end down, so don;t share the mainstream hate on trucks with high back ends.

What about going an entire new leaf pack built to fit the use of the truck and the expected weights?

JP2

I ran add a leaf on my truck for years. Since my truck always had 1000+ lbs in it until recently. I also added 3" blocks, but now that I only usually have 400 lbs in it, it sits too high with the taller blocks. I've personally not really ever run a truck without stuff in and on it keeping the back end down, so don;t share the mainstream hate on trucks with high back ends.

What about going an entire new leaf pack built to fit the use of the truck and the expected weights?
The raptor community makes full leaf packs ridiculous. Deaver makes a spring. Over $1300 and months waiting time. I have other mods that I think will be more bang for the $ right now. Otherwise I’d just get a leaf pack built for sure.

Grassland

The raptor community makes full leaf packs ridiculous. Deaver makes a spring. Over $1300 and months waiting time. I have other mods that I think will be more bang for the $ right now. Otherwise I’d just get a leaf pack built for sure.

Yeah $1300 is a bit much. I was thinking more along the lines of a local spring shop? Maybe $800 or so?
But if your stock springs are much firmer than mine, maybe an add a leaf will be all you need.

ZSK

My mom had some medical issues in the fall and we ended up driving back to KY for a few days. I never miss the opportunity to hit the woods so we did some of the Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway and visited Hollerwood Park. Here's a pic by the DBBB sign.

View attachment 490527

If you look close at the DBBB pic, you can see the start of my exo rack over the camper shell. I've been wanting to do a RTT for a while. I didn't want to get rid of the shell. Any replacement would cost me over $2k for just adding in a rack system. I tried to order a generic KargoMaster rack but apparently it was discontinued so my order got cancelled. I talked to the folks at KargoMaster and they sold me the mounting bases from one of their contractor racks. I figured I could fabricate from there. I picked up a tube joint cutter and went to work. I had to cut the camper shell skirt for the brackets to stick out but that ended up being pretty simple. I didn't like the rear bracket just bolting to the top of the bed frame so I welded an extension on the bracket and tied it into the rear bed post. I threaded the hole that is used for the factory cargo basket and bolted the bracket there. If anyone wants pics of that rear bracket, let me know....

JP

I really enjoy the subtle mods that add a lot of use to the truck. I had to search the DBBB and I'll add it to my list of must visit places. We travel from NE Florida to Michigan once or twice a year and usually take a few days to explore in Kentucky / Tennessee areas.

hammerg26

SE Expedition Society
I really enjoy the subtle mods that add a lot of use to the truck. I had to search the DBBB and I'll add it to my list of must visit places. We travel from NE Florida to Michigan once or twice a year and usually take a few days to explore in Kentucky / Tennessee areas.

That drive from FL to north of DTW is no joke. Used to do it a couple of times a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JP2

IM me if you go. I can send you some gps coordinates to killer places you won’t find unless you know a local.

JP2

Here's my latest mod. $24.55 for the switch delivered. It took about 5 minutes to install the switch and about 10 minutes with Forscan (had to update my license). I'm not sure how much I'll use it but I'm glad to have the capability.

IMG_5305.JPG

Here's the part number for the switch if you have the traction button in the center stack and not on the console.

Switch.JPG

JP

JP2

Yeah $1300 is a bit much. I was thinking more along the lines of a local spring shop? Maybe $800 or so?
But if your stock springs are much firmer than mine, maybe an add a leaf will be all you need.

I talked to a local spring shop today, Ace Spring in San Antonio. They said they would do a custom mod to my leaf pack to level it up or put the back where I want it for about $500 complete. If I take off the springs and deliver to them they will charge around $250. Its a bit more work and money than an add a leaf but I think the result will be better. They can re-arch the spring to keep the factory spring rate and just raise the ride height or add a leaf/arch and add some load capacity. Seemed to know what he was talking about.

I also looked into heavier spring packs today. SD truck springs has higher spring rate factory leaf packs for the '14 back trucks starting about $169 each up to $306 each. I'm trying to figure out if the 14 back springs are similar to the 15 up. They dont show any parts for the 15 up. Probably the best bet is to take my springs to Ace and get them done. Seeing as I have to remove the fuel tank to get to the spring bolts, I need to find the 36 gallon tank and related parts to swap it while its out. 22 gallons doesn't last long anymore.

JP

D

Deleted member 9101

Here's my latest mod. $24.55 for the switch delivered. It took about 5 minutes to install the switch and about 10 minutes with Forscan (had to update my license). I'm not sure how much I'll use it but I'm glad to have the capability.

View attachment 491365

Here's the part number for the switch if you have the traction button in the center stack and not on the console.

View attachment 491364

JP
I wanted to do that, but I don't think I'll ever use it.

My next mod will be replacing the fog lights with LED lights. They will be on a dimmer so they are not obnoxious when my low beams are on. Then they will come on at 100% when I use my high beams.

FB_IMG_1546266896909.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jkron

Observer
If you still were considering air bags and worried about suspension travel, you can use Daystar cradles so the bag can separate without an issue. I use them with a set of Deaver springs in my Tundra with a FWC. Plenty of hard offroad with no issues.

JP2

If you still were considering air bags and worried about suspension travel, you can use Daystar cradles so the bag can separate without an issue. I use them with a set of Deaver springs in my Tundra with a FWC. Plenty of hard offroad with no issues.

Absolutely awesome. Exactly what I was looking for. THANK YOU for posting.

Mfitz

I wanted to do that, but I don't think I'll ever use it.

My next mod will be replacing the fog lights with LED lights. They will be on a dimmer so they are not obnoxious when my low beams are on. Then they will come on at 100% when I use my high beams.

View attachment 491389
I would love to know more about this mod. The stock headlights on my '15 F150 XLT are really dim, and the regular fogs don't help much. I have tried brighter bulbs with only minimal improvement.

What lights and how do you wire them on a dimmer?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94