2017 F150 SCREW 4x4 build Thread

JP2

I've been meaning to start a build thread forever but life was getting in the way. I bought the truck in around April 2017 new in Orlando Florida from Greenway Ford. It is a 5.0 v8 with the 6R80 trans and 9.75 rear with electric locking diff. I had been looking to get into offroad adventure travel for a while. I previously had 3 JKUs but they were just too small for myself, my wife, two kids, and two dogs to spend any time offroad. Plus my experience with the JKs is they are a 30k+ canvas to start spending money on. Nothing on them is heavy enough for bigger tires and offroad work. I fought death wobble on my 15 jku until I traded it in. At the time it needed a steering box and the aftermarket ones hadn't hit the market yet. Anyway, this thread is about the 150. Here is a pic soon after I bought it.

IMG_1568.JPG

The first modification I made was to add Thule racks to it both on the cab and bed as we were doing a lot of Kayaking on the spring fed rivers in FL. I had followed Raul's thread on his 150 for a while and an open bed and rack SEEMED like a good idea. Thankfully I had a friend that got 40% off on Thule stuff so it wasn't a huge spend at the time. I think I got it all for around $600 which I considered a steal. Here is a shot with a kayak hanging out on top. We were actually cat fishing on this trip and I hooked into a big gator. After fighting it for about 45 minutes I just cut the line and went home.

IMG_1233.JPG

Shortly after this we went on a trip to Kentucky where we are originally from. We were going up to do some offroad exploration of trails I hadn't run in over 20 years. White's Branch Arch in Powell County KY for those that know the area. The trails are closed to vehicles but are still open for hiking. It was 65 degrees the first day and then snowed 10" overnight. I was browsing craigslist (yes, I'm an addict) because it was too tough to hike in that amount of snow on steep hills. I came across an ARE camper shell for $500 about an hour away from where we were staying. We drove down to Somerset and picked it up. Thanks to the folks at Line-X of Somerset for a great camper at a great price. Having this weather hit in the middle of a trip was the end of the open bed. The west coast/desert folks can get away with an open bed but us Floridians (at the time) get daily rain. Open bed really wasn't a good option. Interestingly enough, the shell was manufactured on our wedding anniversary, July 27. So needless to say, it ain't going anywhere. Here is a shot of the shell right after it was mounted. Note that it didn't snow nearly as much an hour south in Somerset.

IMG_2891.JPG

Shortly after this, we sold our home in Florida and moved to Bulverde, TX (North of San Antonio). As with all moves, it took a while to recover and not much happened with the truck for several months. Looking at the awful rake in the pics above, its obvious that something needed to happen with the suspension, tires, and wheels. I had always liked the subaru blue and gold theme and I found the Method Roost wheels in bronze and 18x9 with offset that would keep them tucked under the truck. I wanted the narrow track because the truck is huge enough to start with, especially on tight east coast trails. I ordered the wheels and a set of 295/70R18 general grabber X3 tires. I have to admit, I was watching a lot of Expedition Overland at the time and General's sponsorship strongly influenced my decision. Here are the tires and wheels mounted up.

tirewheel.JPG

Next I needed to find the right suspension to make the tires fit. After reading way too much and balancing the budget, I chose the Icon 2.5 non reservoir front coilovers. Strangely enough, I didnt take any pics of these or the install. But here's a pic of the tires/and wheels on the truck without the massive f150 factory rake.

norake.JPG

My mom had some medical issues in the fall and we ended up driving back to KY for a few days. I never miss the opportunity to hit the woods so we did some of the Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway and visited Hollerwood Park. Here's a pic by the DBBB sign.

DBBB.JPG

If you look close at the DBBB pic, you can see the start of my exo rack over the camper shell. I've been wanting to do a RTT for a while. I didn't want to get rid of the shell. Any replacement would cost me over $2k for just adding in a rack system. I tried to order a generic KargoMaster rack but apparently it was discontinued so my order got cancelled. I talked to the folks at KargoMaster and they sold me the mounting bases from one of their contractor racks. I figured I could fabricate from there. I picked up a tube joint cutter and went to work. I had to cut the camper shell skirt for the brackets to stick out but that ended up being pretty simple. I didn't like the rear bracket just bolting to the top of the bed frame so I welded an extension on the bracket and tied it into the rear bed post. I threaded the hole that is used for the factory cargo basket and bolted the bracket there. If anyone wants pics of that rear bracket, let me know.

rackfab.JPG

I spent about a month with just the above done without having any time to work on the rack. Finally over the Christmas holiday I had some time to finish up the rack (mainly because the tent my wife got us for Christmas was delivered). Here are a few pics of the final rack build.

The first is just the primered rack in the driveway.

rack1.JPG

The second is the rack with the closed tent getting mounted. And if you look close you can see the maxtrax I got for Christmas, too. And you can see my junky 1987 thunderbird wannabe drag car on the side.

IMG_5211.JPG

And the final tent and rack together awaiting install.

IMG_5212.JPG

Well the forum is telling me that I've uploaded all the pics I can. So I'll put the final pics in the next post. Stay tuned.

JP

Last edited:

JP2

So to continue my story from above, Here are the final pics of the tent and rack installed on the truck.

final open.JPG

Here it is with the tent closed and a decent shot of the final rack.

final close.JPG

I hope you folks enjoyed the content. I have more mods coming in the near future. Plans are to add a winch which is currently sitting in the garage floor and change to 4.56 gears. The hill descent control switch is ordered and I have forscan waiting to get that installed. I have an LED bar waiting to go on. Lots more plans to go. Now that I'm up to date I'll try to keep current on here. I think the 150 is a great platform that just needs some tweaks from being a basic appliance to a decent rig.

JP

Last edited:

Jday14

Love it. Lots of us full sizes here in Texas. Take a look at the Texas Overlanding, Anyone? thread. Looks like there's a Big Bend trip being planned for the spring. If you're on facebook, look up Texas Overland, another great resource.

JP2

Love it. Lots of us full sizes here in Texas. Take a look at the Texas Overlanding, Anyone? thread. Looks like there's a Big Bend trip being planned for the spring. If you're on facebook, look up Texas Overland, another great resource.

I follow Texas Overland on facebook but apparently not "THE" Texas overland. So I sent a join request. Thanks for that one.

We are planning to go back to Moab in the spring as our main trip for the year but want to do Padre Island and Big Bend NP and SP as prep trips.

JP

JP2

Looking real good! I like the rack you made for your tent, sure beats risking cracking your topper.
Thanks! I don't think there's any risk of cracking the topper. To me it would be guaranteed. With 3 of us in the tent its almost 700 lbs of tent and people.

JP

Grassland

What gears do you have now? 3.31 or 3.55? Those tires are about 34, and narrower than 12" right?

What are your plans for rear suspension? 9.75 rear end trucks usually have a higher spring rate then the 8.8 trucks, are you waiting to see how they hold up with the added weight in the back?

JP2

What gears do you have now? 3.31 or 3.55? Those tires are about 34, and narrower than 12" right?

What are your plans for rear suspension? 9.75 rear end trucks usually have a higher spring rate then the 8.8 trucks, are you waiting to see how they hold up with the added weight in the back?

I’m thinking add a leaf for now. It needs something. When it’s full of stuff for traveling it sags bad and that was before the rack and tent. Also I pull a 24’ tritoon with it in the summer. That sags it bad too. If anyone has any input on that topic I’d really appreciate it. I’m not a fan of taller blocks unless I HAVE to go that route. Rear air bags may be an option too. I want to lock the front diff eventually. That would give me a reason to go ARB if I had another reason for a compressor. Just wondering if airbags would droop very well off-road if I get in a hairy situation. I don’t think they would.

The gears are 3.73. Tires are 34.5 x 11.8 per the General specs. Toyo has a 37x11.5 that I’m wanting to try.

JP2

I spent today working on a bench in the garage. I need to do a repair on my winch motor. I hate chasing stuff around in the floor so I decided to build a bench. As usual with anything I build I went a bit overboard. 16’ long and 30” deep. I’ll get the top on it tomorrow.

64913900-19BD-4197-89C3-2664549933A4.jpeg

JP2

I agree! I he could build those and sell them.
I appreciate the kind words. I’d hate to think about what I spent even in materials. The 4 corner brackets were $150 or so. I’d say I spent around $300 on tubing. I spent a LOT of time on it but it could be way faster a second or third time. Not sure what the going price would be for something like this but I’d say it would be very hard to make any money on them. I did get some plastic end caps in the mail today to plug the open ends. Didn’t get a pic but it gave it a way more professional look.

D

Deleted member 9101

I’m thinking add a leaf for now. It needs something. When it’s full of stuff for traveling it sags bad and that was before the rack and tent. Also I pull a 24’ tritoon with it in the summer. That sags it bad too. If anyone has any input on that topic I’d really appreciate it. I’m not a fan of taller blocks unless I HAVE to go that route. Rear air bags may be an option too. I want to lock the front diff eventually. That would give me a reason to go ARB if I had another reason for a compressor. Just wondering if airbags would droop very well off-road if I get in a hairy situation. I don’t think they would.

I have done both the add a leaf and air bags on a few of my trucks. The air bags cost more, but work soooooo much better. Add a leafs make you ride like crap when you're empty and they also raise **************** end, which looks funny.

I don't know how air bags work off road, by guess would be you could make a limiting strap to save them if they are not able to flex with the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier