2017 F-150 Family Camping + Hunting Build

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
That Decked system looks good. I'd really like to build a cargo platform for mine but the cost of the Decked system (around $1200 IIRC) is low enough that it just might make more sense for me to buy than to build.

As far as your MPG, is that hand-calculated or is it according to the dash computer? Because mine was off by almost 10% until I recalibrated it (which you can do yourself, easily.) Now my hand calculations are a near perfect match for the computer display, which is nice.

FORISTR

That Decked system looks good. I'd really like to build a cargo platform for mine but the cost of the Decked system (around $1200 IIRC) is low enough that it just might make more sense for me to buy than to build.

As far as your MPG, is that hand-calculated or is it according to the dash computer? Because mine was off by almost 10% until I recalibrated it (which you can do yourself, easily.) Now my hand calculations are a near perfect match for the computer display, which is nice.

DIY drawers would be a cool project, but without a camper shell to protect it all from the elements, the materials needed to build a weather-proof solution aren't affordable, readily available, or within my capabilities to build with. I've been really happy with the Decked system. I will be doing recap video/review of how I use them, but I've been waiting until I had plenty of opportunity to use them in a variety of different conditions, trips, etc. That point has come, so I'll work on the video soon.

MPG was calculated at the pump for the trips I referenced. I don't track MPGs too closely on a normal basis. Though I did update the computer to accommodate for the new tire size.

Been a busy summer/fall and finally getting back to the forums here. Have some upgrades in-progress for the truck, which I'll be documenting here.

In completely stock configuration and with, I got 18.4mpg running 68-72mph on the 300-mile trip home from the dealership where I bought the truck last January. This summer I was able to get a better MPG test after adding the Bilstein 5100s up front, larger BFG KOs, a Magnaflow catback exhaust, and the Omega tune from Oz Tuning. (Also running the AEM drop-in filter, but no CAI.) This isn't a commuter and I don't drive for mileage, I was curious to see some MPG comparisons after the updates. On a family vacation this past summer we covered 600 miles each way. This was with 2 adults, 2 kids, coolers and other gear in the bed, and a LOT of gear in the Decked system. So with with truck updates and the added weight compared to my original trip home from the dealer, I was curious to see what my MPGs would be.

View attachment 556837

On the 600-mile trip up, I ran conservatively and kept it at 68-72mph, which averaged 19.4mpg. Same speeds as "original", considerably more weight, but exactly a 1mpg improvement. For the 600-miles home I ran 73-77mph, which averaged about 18.9mpg.

I am happy to get better MPGs with the tune, but more than anything the driving experience improved phenomenally. I knew I wanted the Coyote and I am glad I got it, but I knew it could be better. I drive a lot of local roads, which have me cruising between 30-45mph often. The shift points, especially for that type of driving, left me unimpressed to say the least. Sport mode helped, but it also had quirks. I found myself going in/out of Sport mode and manually locking out certain gears quite often.

That got me looking into the world of tuners and custom tunes. After a lot of research, I pulled the trigger on the Omega tune from Oz Tuning. The Omega claims to be a "one for all" tune, instead of offering an economy, a tow/haul, a performance, and octane-specific tunes. It sounded too good to be true. A lot of guys seeking high-end performance touted the praise of the Omega tune. But I wasn't trying to get my truck to run a 1/4-mile quicker. I just wanted it to be more drive-able.

Having run it for many months now, I am really impressed with the Omega tune. Anytime I began to think "I wish it would...", my truck did it. Shift points, power, RPM management, etc. This is the 5.0 the way it should be.
(y)

DIY drawers would be a cool project, but without a camper shell to protect it all from the elements, the materials needed to build a weather-proof solution aren't affordable, readily available, or within my capabilities to build with. I've been really happy with the Decked system. I will be doing recap video/review of how I use them, but I've been waiting until I had plenty of opportunity to use them in a variety of different conditions, trips, etc. That point has come, so I'll work on the video soon.

MPG was calculated at the pump for the trips I referenced. I don't track MPGs too closely on a normal basis. Though I did update the computer to accommodate for the new tire size.
We look forward to your review.

FORISTR

I have been looking for a way to add multiple accessory switches (rocker or push-button) to my truck that was clean, easy to use, easy to install, and ideally inexpensive and required minimal cutting/modification to the truck. I think I finally came up with an ideal solution.

Post image

No permanent modification required, just push the Sync drawer back to the closed position and insert this panel over the drawer face. The panel fits secure, but I can easily pop it out to access all wiring, or remove everything back to factory.

The materials I used...
  • ABS Plastic (Amazon)
  • Switches (Amazon) can choose light-up color: Red, Blue, White, Green
  • Vinyl Wrap (Amazon), the ABS plastic looked OK on it's own as well
Post image

Everything is wired to a Blue Sea auxiliary fuse box (Amazon) and distribution block (Amazon) with relays (eBay) and master circuit-breaker (Amazon). The relays are mounted to the underside of the ABS; the whole thing resides above the factory fuse box on the passenger side and is easily removable.

Power/switch management is all ready to go. To add any new accessory, I just add the appropriate fuse and install power/ground on the Blue Sea box. The switch will automatically control that new item. (Currently using only two of 4 switches.)

Six wires are needed to connect from the aux block, through the firewall, and to the switch panel...
  1. Power
  2. Ground
  3. Switch 1 Lead
  4. Switch 2 Lead
  5. Switch 3 Lead
  6. Switch 4 Lead
For a clean way to run 6 wires through the firewall, I ran a 7-way trailer wire (Amazon) from my new aux box to the switch panel for one clean run.

D

Deleted member 9101

Love the Raptor trinkets. I have been looking at getting a set one of these days.

FORISTR

Latest quick project — adding "on board water" to the Decked system in my bed. I flush-mounted a D&W Spray Port that's meant for RVs. The "ammo can" of the Decked system has a perfect space for all of the connections (water and electrical) and to mount the pump. For the pump, I used a simple Seaflo 21 Series. There's a primary power supply switch inside the cab, with the secondary waterproof rocker switch also installed on the Decked system, near the spray port. I ran the water supply line to the pump under the Decked system, toward the cab-side of the bed. I setup a 6-gallon Igloo jug with a 3/8 barb for supply right now, but I may look at a cleaner solution this spring. For now, I just wanted to do a quick "proof of concept" install. I just winterized the pump and will finalize everything when the weather turns.

Quick video on Instagram and pics below...

obw-parts-ready.jpg

obw-lid.jpg

obw-pump.jpg

obw-port-switch.jpg

obw-hose.jpg

fl0w3n

Observer
I have been looking for a way to add multiple accessory switches (rocker or push-button) to my truck that was clean, easy to use, easy to install, and ideally inexpensive and required minimal cutting/modification to the truck. I think I finally came up with an ideal solution.

Post image

Curious, what package did you get that gave you column shift with the center console?

I’ve looked at a lot of 11+ 5.0s and most if not all of the center consoles have the console shift unfortunately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior