2017 F-150 build...Everyone meet Walter White

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Where you mounted it in the truck is what I'm looking for, trying to make up my mind on how to do it in my F150... we have the same interior package I believe.

Well, I haven’t mounted the actual switch panel yet as I have not 100% decided. But this is where I am 99% sure it will go. I like it because it’s low profile and out of the way. The other option is on the side of the driver side of the center console where it meets the dash (no pic). Both have pros and cons but I’m pretty sure it will be mounted like this
9f9e8e6a690d253b4decfe6d02ea4bd1.jpg

If you got the 8 gang version this spot will be too big.

Pulled the wire through the driver side firewall grommet (total pain in the butt) and then up through the steering column.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
Is that job with the wiring or forscan? I have never heard of it.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
I havent heard of it either but It sounds like a forscan mod. I need to take a deeper dive into forscan and what it can do.
No, unfortunately it's not a forscan mod, as there's a physical wired connection that triggers the 6mph cutoff. However, it's a super easy mod.

Basically, under your dash there's a plug. You add a simple jumper wire and boom, you're done.

Here, a video is better than words:

Well, I haven’t mounted the actual switch panel yet as I have not 100% decided. But this is where I am 99% sure it will go. I like it because it’s low profile and out of the way. The other option is on the side of the driver side of the center console where it meets the dash (no pic). Both have pros and cons but I’m pretty sure it will be mounted like this
9f9e8e6a690d253b4decfe6d02ea4bd1.jpg

If you got the 8 gang version this spot will be too big.

Pulled the wire through the driver side firewall grommet (total pain in the butt) and then up through the steering column.

That looks like a great spot for it, I'm probably going to order that and start working on my hidden lights.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
WHAT. A. DIFFERENCE.

Got my truck back from the shop and the regear is done. What a difference. I'm almost in shock the difference it has made.

For comparison, prior to regear (prior ratio is 3:31), I'd be driving 80 MPH and the RPM would be in the 1400 range in 6th gear. At anytime or MPH if I wanted to speed up or pass someone, it would drop down to 4th gear and jack up to 3500+ RPM.

With the regear, Driving to work this AM I was doing 75 and the RPM in 6th was 2400 ish, when I went to pass someone I gave it some gas and instead of dropping to 4th like above, I just scooted along without down shifting and hit 83 MPH real quick and the RPM was in the 2700/2800 range. Perfect.

Truck feels like it is effortlessly moving along instead of constantly bogging down and trying to find the gear it is happy in. Thrilled with the results and it's exactly what I wanted.

Now, the shop I went to told me when I picked it up that there is a deceleration whine from 70 MPH to 50 MPH. They made it sound like it was noticeable and I was a little worried. So when I got off my exit I did notice it but it was nothing that I cant live without and it was only temporary. He said that to their standards, the whine is unacceptable and will work with me after the 1000 miles break in period to work on adjusting the gears to make it less or go over other options. Time will tell if the noise goes away with mileage but as of right now I don't care that much. I'm kind of used to noises in my truck with the slight tire wine and the little bit of wind noise from my lights.

10/10 recommend ProGear in San Diego if anyone is looking.

ITTOG

In other news, just hit 37k on the odo.

Not bad for a 5 year old truck! Thank you covid and work from home!
That is impressively low. I have had mine three years and nine months. Due to surgeries, work travel, and covid I estimate I have driven the truck about two years of that. I have over 63,000 miles.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
That is impressively low. I have had mine three years and nine months. Due to surgeries, work travel, and covid I estimate I have driven the truck about two years of that. I have over 63,000 miles.

That is low! I'm at 133,000 miles on my 2015.

Dang dudes you guys certainly have some miles behind the wheel!

When I bought it from carmax it had 24k and was 3 years old so was fairly low when I got it. I bought it in August 2020 so I've put on 13k in a year and a half. With it being covid basically 3/4 of that time, the large majority of those miles have been to anza borrego (many times), baja and a 3 hunting trips to AZ.

Back to driving into the office tho so I imagine it will only increase.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Dang dudes you guys certainly have some miles behind the wheel!

When I bought it from carmax it had 24k and was 3 years old so was fairly low when I got it. I bought it in August 2020 so I've put on 13k in a year and a half. With it being covid basically 3/4 of that time, the large majority of those miles have been to anza borrego (many times), baja and a 3 hunting trips to AZ.

Back to driving into the office tho so I imagine it will only increase.
Yeah, my round trip work commute is 68 miles per day. So I rack up mileage pretty quick

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Let's talk about forscan and changing tire size on the comp and correcting my spedo. I'm off by about 4 MPH on the freeway. It's no big deal but I'd love to have everything correct for more accurate reading.

Anyone have experience with forscan and how easy it is? Tips, tricks, etc?

I have to take my truck in to Ford for them to fix the pillar fire recall and a few other things, is this something the dealer can do?

Grassland

Let's talk about forscan and changing tire size on the comp and correcting my spedo. I'm off by about 4 MPH on the freeway. It's no big deal but I'd love to have everything correct for more accurate reading.

I have to take my truck in to Ford for them to fix the pillar fire recall and a few other things, is this something the dealer can do?
The dealer can recalibrate for any factory tire size AFAIK.
I've corrected my tire size using my tuner, and haven't got around to reading up and or getting Forscan.

ricoisme26

Forscan is pretty easy in my opinion, I've installed a OEM Ford trailer brake controller and factory remote start in my 2012 F150 and a factory remote start in my father in law's 2014 F150. My understanding is that model year and vehicle model don't change the interface of forscan at all. membership is free for 2 months not sure on the limits of # of vehicles you can access with that membership but I was able to update my truck for the trailer brake, run out of the two months and get another 2 month membership free to update both trucks for the remote start without any issues. Only cost involved is a cable to connect the vehicle via OBD port to your computer.

I cannot comment on updating tire size but the forscan forum or any F150 forum should be able to point you in the right direction and it should be a very straight forward process.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Update!

Finally got some time to tinker on the truck a little bit and install my RCI skid plates. Went with the raw aluminum instead of steel for weight reasons and I really don’t do all that much rock crawling type of stuff so just need to protect from bushes and desert stuff.

My friends and I are planning a trip up to 395/mammoth area in a few weeks and I’m stoked for it!

2843584d8d73ba41bce8eb311ef4fc4f.jpg

Grassland

Update!

Finally got some time to tinker on the truck a little bit and install my RCI skid plates. Went with the raw aluminum instead of steel for weight reasons and I really don’t do all that much rock crawling type of stuff so just need to protect from bushes and desert stuff.

My friends and I are planning a trip up to 395/mammoth area in a few weeks and I’m stoked for it!

2843584d8d73ba41bce8eb311ef4fc4f.jpg

I remember when mine were that straight and shiny!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94