2017 F-150 build...Everyone meet Walter White

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Did you ever do the Forscan speedo correction? I didn't even think about shift points being messed up, didn't notice it when I went to 35's.. just recalibrated for speed.
I didn't. I am 99% sure I am going to regear to 4.11 or 4.56 then I will correct and spedo problems. I'm only off by 3 MPG so it's not too bad.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
I didn't. I am 99% sure I am going to regear to 4.11 or 4.56 then I will correct and spedo problems. I'm only off by 3 MPG so it's not too bad.

Always go with the higher gear ratio. I went with 4.11 on my Land Rover and I regretted not going to 4.33 or 4.56. When I did the gears on my Jeep I said screw it and went with the biggest gears that would fit in the pumpkin (4.88 if I recall correctly).

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
What mpgs are you seeing?

Tire size and gears?
I'm seeing 12.5 regardless of highway or city. Tires are 315/70/17 (basically a 35 inch tire) BFG KO2. Gearing is a pathetic 3.31 in the Super 8.8 axle. I imagine the MPG could be slightly better but I have a heavy foot and drive 80 on the highway.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Always go with the higher gear ratio. I went with 4.11 on my Land Rover and I regretted not going to 4.33 or 4.56. When I did the gears on my Jeep I said screw it and went with the biggest gears that would fit in the pumpkin (4.88 if I recall correctly).
That's what I am hearing from driveline guys and from various forums. For the Super 8.8 axle the optons I've seen are 4.11, 4.56 and 4.88. I think the 4.88 might be a bit much. I've even gone down the path of finding a 9.75 axle with a better gear ratio and swapping it in but that didn't really yield me any legit options. I had the 8.8 in my 98 F150 with 3.31 gears and I had to rebuld that rear end 3 times.

Plus, I do want to add a locker in the rear so it all kind of aligns with that I want to do and what I need for gearing.

Another note to the married men in this chat. My wife doesnt understand the need to regear so I borrowed my neighbors mountain bike, told her she was my engine and put it in the highest and lowest gears and told her to ride it. Now she understand lol.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
That's what I am hearing from driveline guys and from various forums. For the Super 8.8 axle the optons I've seen are 4.11, 4.56 and 4.88. I think the 4.88 might be a bit much. I've even gone down the path of finding a 9.75 axle with a better gear ratio and swapping it in but that didn't really yield me any legit options. I had the 8.8 in my 98 F150 with 3.31 gears and I had to rebuld that rear end 3 times.

Plus, I do want to add a locker in the rear so it all kind of aligns with that I want to do and what I need for gearing.

Another note to the married men in this chat. My wife doesnt understand the need to regear so I borrowed my neighbors mountain bike, told her she was my engine and put it in the highest and lowest gears and told her to ride it. Now she understand lol.

Betcha you can find a 9.75 off a totaled Raptor out here no problem. Comes with a locker and 4.11 gears to kind of guide your decision. Or you have the axle out and have the easiest gear swap out there.

Grassland

What went wrong with your classic 8.8 in the old truck?
My 2014 had a bad bearing race we only found when putting in a limited slip, and the truck had 100k KM and 95k of them were in fleet or towing, truck being at payload rating or higher 90% of its life.
My thought was that the Super 8.8 would be adequate.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
What went wrong with your classic 8.8 in the old truck?
My 2014 had a bad bearing race we only found when putting in a limited slip, and the truck had 100k KM and 95k of them were in fleet or towing, truck being at payload rating or higher 90% of its life.
My thought was that the Super 8.8 would be adequate.

I think it was just from a lot of towing to be honest. Never could pinpoint anything really wrong. Something different broke each time. The first time it literally grenaded and damaged the inside of the housing.

Is there much of a difference between the classic and super?

Grassland

I think it was just from a lot of towing to be honest. Never could pinpoint anything really wrong. Something different broke each time. The first time it literally grenaded and damaged the inside of the housing.

Is there much of a difference between the classic and super?
AFAIK the axles are beefier, and have more splines, I'm not sure what else changed. I know later classic 8.8 had Pinion bearing changes, not sure if that was upgraded further in the Super.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
f227f604c55d12461be9cbf4c42ef160.jpg

Loving my fog lights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94