2017 F-150 build...Everyone meet Walter White

YetiX

Any offroad use with them? I've heard great things about them but have seen some reviews that if you do a lot of offroad they can tend to become out of align. I dont do a ton of offroad but I do about a dozen 1-3 night trips per year and what I usually do is pretty intense offroad. Now that baby girl is a little older it will be easier to camp with her and we are hoping to so some and longer trips this year. Hence the reason for wanting a GFC per my other posts.
I've had a set of SPC UCAs on my 4Runner for about 5 years now. Zero issues. The first three years were me beating them up in Big Bear and out in the desert. The last two have been my daughter beating them up in Colorado. They have never needed re-alignment. Just a squirt of grease every few months and they're good to go.
EHyaYy.jpg

Oscar Mike Gulf Yankee

Well, you've done a really nice job on Walter. Thanks for the step by step how to's and what for's.

So, this thread gave me the bug for a newer F 150, (Thank you).....

Found some white XL and XLT's seems the difference around here is the XL's don't have carpet or power seats, other than that seems equipment is the same. (Unless there is some big difference in mechanical aspects)

If you don't mind me asking, I'm looking at a '17 with a V6, 2.7, Ecobost, is that engine any good. Seems some say 3.0 V.6 and then the 5.0 V8 I have in my old F 150.

MPG says 18 to 21, some up to 23 mpg, 6 and 10 speed automatics. All are 4X4.

If you Ford guys don't mind chiming in I'd appreciate it, and back to the build.

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
Well, you've done a really nice job on Walter. Thanks for the step by step how to's and what for's.

Found some white XL and XLT's seems the difference around here is the XL's don't have carpet or power seats, other than that seems equipment is the same. (Unless there is some big difference in mechanical aspects)

If you don't mind me asking, I'm looking at a '17 with a V6, 2.7, Ecobost, is that engine any good. Seems some say 3.0 V.6 and then the 5.0 V8 I have in my old F 150.

If you Ford guys don't mind chiming in I'd appreciate it, and back to the build.
You'll absolutely love the 2.7 ecoboost, great power, great mpg's, and it's a very robust and well regarded engine. I have an f150 with the 3.5 ecoboost, which I also love, but "they" say have more problems.

ITTOG

Yes the 2.7 is better than the 3.5. I have an 18 3.5L and had to have the cam phasers, timing chain, etc replaced due to the phasers failing. luckily Ford warrantied the work which is about $3,500. If that has already been done on a 3.5 with the new cam phasers then it is just as good as the 2.7.

ricoisme26

Yes the 2.7 is better than the 3.5. I have an 18 3.5L and had to have the cam phasers, timing chain, etc replaced due to the phasers failing. luckily Ford warrantied the work which is about $3,500. If that has already been done on a 3.5 with the new cam phasers then it is just as good as the 2.7.

Why would replacement cam phasers make it better? Are the replacements a different design than the originals? Are the cam phasers on the 2.7 a different design?

ITTOG

Why would replacement cam phasers make it better? Are the replacements a different design than the originals? Are the cam phasers on the 2.7 a different design?
Yes Ford has new cam phasers that are a different design and part number.

I don't believe I have heard of 2.7's having the issue. If they do, it is a lot less than the 3.5's.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
You'll absolutely love the 2.7 ecoboost, great power, great mpg's, and it's a very robust and well regarded engine. I have an f150 with the 3.5 ecoboost, which I also love, but "they" say have more problems.
This.

@Oscar Mike Gulf Yankee IF you are planning on constantly towing or hauling a lot then maybe 3.5 would be the way to go.

But, from everything I've read the 2.7 is a fantastic engine.

If you are planning to haul, try and find one with the 2.7 payload package. The 2.7 trucks do use a lighter frame so just watch your payload sticker on the door if hauling or towing is in your future.

dbhost

So I did some figuring out... and if I deleted my rear 1/3rd seat and build this little stand (prototype 1) and the Iceco 75VLPro fits perfect, and the front seat is almost as far back as it can go. Then next stand will be able to house my entire cooking set up and that means just one less thing to pack... thought you would find this interesting.View attachment 739138

Whoah. I thought my Alpicool APLT60 was big! My F150 is a supercab, not sure that fridge would fit at all in my back seat in that orientation.

Guess you get to do a bit longer between resupply stops!

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Hey guys, Thanks for all the replies. Will reply to everyone when I get caught up at work...spent the last week in Cabo and came home to a box of goodies. Stay tuned.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader

I appreciate the compliments! Like everyone has said, you cant go wrong with the 2.7. It's such a great engine and like you said, an absolute rocket ship. When I was leasing an 18 with the 2.7 I was burning rubber and excessively speeding the majority of the time and was still getting 18 MPG. Towed a trailer to Flagstaff an got 20, road trip to Phoenix area with eco mode and cruise control on and got like 26 MPG I think it was. You really cant go wrong with it. Did you end up getting it??

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Honestly I had went away from this site for a bit, lots going on in life, some good, most bad. I hadn't posted from March to like June and then posted maybe 4 times from June to about a week ago. I really enjoyed this site in 2020, even with some of the characters I encountered that I didn't exactly get along with (except one, screw that guy, glad he ran his mouth and got banned). This forum was kind of one of the few things that helped me get through that year, moreso than just about any other forum.

If I find myself up that way, which is a real possibility, I'll definitely hit you up. I saw your truck in the full sized picture thread and I know you'll love it. Even if you need to a bit of legwork into it, it will definitely be worth it. I wanted a SCAB but life factors lead me towards the SCREW, and honestly after having been offroad in a SCAB I'm glad I went with the longer wheelbase. Just a bit twitchier compared to the SCREW. Then again I'm looking at the 2 door bronco in the next year or two, so what do I know?

That's enough derailing @SDDiver5's thread. Cheers!
I thoroughly enjoy talking trucks and parts as well. I feel my sister doesn't like coming over for dinner anymore because me and her husband, also an F150 guy only talk to eachother about trucks lol. He's a lurker on here and still hasn't done a build tread but his truck is awesome.

Are you still in San Diego or did you get stationed somewhere else?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94