2017 Dodge Ram 2500 - An Overland work in Progress

Ravenmad

Observer
Solid choice, its going to look great on your truck and offer the protection you want. 4 weeks of lead time isn't to bad considering you will get what you want.

Thank you, that is my plan then. No leveling kit, and add 35” tires with a new spare.

Did you have to deflate the spare to get it to fit?

I just noticed you stated "no leveling kit". I hope that works out with the 35" tires. I can't assure you that you won't have issues, but I would like to know how it works out. I put a leveling kit on mine as I was pushing the edge for wheel size.

I got the new winch and a few other goodies in today, but it's still going to be another three or four weeks for the bumper. I think the UPS guy is starting to hate me.

I opted for the 16.5 tis, synthetic rope. I don't have any experience with the rope but I've heard nothing but good things.
IMG_3911.jpg

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I just noticed you stated "no leveling kit". I hope that works out with the 35" tires. I can't assure you that you won't have issues, but I would like to know how it works out. I put a leveling kit on mine as I was pushing the edge for wheel size.

A leveling kit or replacement coils do nothing for tire fitment on a Ram without dropping the bump stops. If it fits with a kit, it'll fit stock.

Now if you put a leveling kit on and drive it like a car, you might not rub large tires, but that doesn't mean they fit. Thuren has a fantastic tire fitment article on his site. If anyone with a Ram hasn't read it, do so.

Question for the experienced here:

Given I'm opting for the the synthetic rope, what kind of additional recovery gear should I be looking at. If my ignorance wasn't obvious, I just found some interesting information on "soft shackles". While spendy, it seems like a must have item(s). I've also seen some information about rope extensions. Given I'm looking at recovery equipment thats specific for a Dodge Ram 2500, in your opinion, what kind of recover equipment (winch related) should I have on board?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Since you are asking, that Smittybuilt recovery strap looks awfully light duty for an 8000# truck. It would work as a tree anchor though. Extensions depend on where you wheel. How far away are anchor points? Only you can answer that question. Soft shackles? Shackles should never touch the winch line so that's up to you. If you buy real shackles, do not buy anything Warn, ARB, etc. They are all Chinese junk. Crosby or better is the only thing to trust.

Ravenmad

Observer
I agree with getting Crosby if you can justify the expense. I put 1.13" shackles on my truck, not cheep but they have a real working load of 17,000 pounds. Never have to even worry about them failing, even if I am running a double line and a hard pull. Recovery gear can be crazy price wise and a lot of it is just over priced because they can. My thought, and just my thought.... Minimum = 2 shackles, snatch block, tree saver and a pair of gloves. ;) But everyone has an opinion...

ttengineer

Adventurer
A standard which recovery kit should handle most situations. Just make sure it’s quality and don’t concentrate on price.

But if you’re looking to create you own kit you’ll want a snatch block, tree strap, recovery strap (stretches), winch extension, at least 2 shackles (soft or traditional, your choice), an old blanket/heavy towel or buy a winch dampener, and lastly a good pair of leather work gloves.

Depending on where you’re located and/or wheeling you might not need every item as it does take up a fair amount of room.

Also make sure everything has a working load capacity at least 1.5x above your truck weight. Preferably 2x.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since you are asking, that Smittybuilt recovery strap looks awfully light duty for an 8000# truck. It would work as a tree anchor though.

Bayou boy,

I actually have some others, but the Smitty built strap was a free item with the purchase. Thanks for turning me on to Crosby! I'll check them out.

I have no experience with the Smittybuilt strap you purchased but you might be interested in reading the opinion on that particular product from a well respected source,
http://www.exploringoverland.com/overland-tech-travel/2018/7/16/smittybilt-recovery-strap

Pretty damming article, but I think the lessons could be applied over several product lines. Thanks for sending this. It helps me to make a better purchasing choice for additional equipment.

In your opinion, what is a trustworthy brand for recovery straps and/or rope extensions?

jgaz

Adventurer
I have an ARB recovery strap in the Jeep. I don’t recall the brand of strap I’m using as a tree saver. It is sold as a lifting sling. I got it from my hiking buddy that installs and services factory overhead cranes. The company he works for will not sell inferior lifting equipment.

I’m really not the one to ask. There are many on this site with much more experience than I.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online