2017 Dodge Ram 2500 - An Overland work in Progress

Angrypuppy

Thank you, that is my plan then. No leveling kit, and add 35” tires with a new spare.

Did you have to deflate the spare to get it to fit?

Just as an update: Based on the feedback so far, I went ahead and cancel my order for the Road Armor bumper. I'm looking at others suggested> Expedition One has a new Range Max Ultra HD that looks pretty sweet. It appears to be modular and similar to the AEV, but with better approach angles for the wheels and protection for the intercooler. Looks like it has good ventilation to guard against overheating as well. Looking through their site, they also have a rear bumper with dual swing out. Pretty sweet! Hummmmm..... this project is getting expensive quick again.

Thank you, that is my plan then. No leveling kit, and add 35” tires with a new spare.

Did you have to deflate the spare to get it to fit?

Nope, it was close but it fit. The exact tire I have on my truck is the BF Goodrich Allterrain Ko2, photo below.

EDIT: I just did the metric conversion of the 305/65R18 and it says its a 34 inch tall and 12 inch wide.
IMG_3899.jpg

Last edited:

ttengineer

Adventurer
I’m not sure if the Expedition One has intercooler protection. I’d call and ask since it does not mention it on the product site.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m not sure if the Expedition One has intercooler protection. I’d call and ask since it does not mention it on the product site.

I actually did ask and the salesman was kind enough to send pictures. I'm not sure about the angle, but there appears to be a very slight gap that (I believe) could easily be fixed with a bolt on or weld to give some added coverage. What I do like is the ventilation.
FB Close up intercooler.jpg

Explorerinil

Observer
People get so hung up on the intercooler protection that the AEV bumper supposedly lacks, I have never had an issue. Remember diesel power products ran the ultimate adventure in a ram with an AEV bumper. For what 99% of us the AEV or ARB bumpers will work fine.

People get so hung up on the intercooler protection that the AEV bumper supposedly lacks, I have never had an issue. Remember diesel power products ran the ultimate adventure in a ram with an AEV bumper. For what 99% of us the AEV or ARB bumpers will work fine.

Explorerinil, Thanks for advice and I think its a great point. For my project, I won't be doing any serious rock crawling in the Ram. However, the perspectives from experienced users like yourself is something for me to consider. My biggest focus on the bumper is a large animal strike (damage underneath and with the grill), which would be catastrophic in a long distance cross country adventure (ok price point and curb appeal will also factor the decision). Each of the bumpers recommended have a lot of good attributes and few downsides. Whats been interesting is that no one has recommended the Road Armor. I'm glad Ive asked the question.

Explorerinil

Observer
Explorerinil, Thanks for advice and I think its a great point. For my project, I won't be doing any serious rock crawling in the Ram. However, the perspectives from experienced users like yourself is something for me to consider. My biggest focus on the bumper is a large animal strike (damage underneath and with the grill), which would be catastrophic in a long distance cross country adventure (ok price point and curb appeal will also factor the decision). Each of the bumpers recommended have a lot of good attributes and few downsides. Whats been interesting is that no one has recommended the Road Armor. I'm glad Ive asked the question.
I’ve had 7 ram trucks starting back in 01, everyone has been modified for what I like to do, travel, hunt, fish and drive in some ruff areas. I remember when road armor, alien patrol and some other brand started making that bumper design, they took off with the show truck crowd but not overland and off-roaders, I’ve been around tons of them, they are flimsy and not well built. I feel based on what you said your after, the buckstop is your best option, you will get extreme protection, good looks and you can mount a few lights and a winch which I’m sure you will want.

Looks like you fish, if your ever passing through Illinois, I make custom lockable fishing rod holders that mount to any roof rack. You can order whatever length you want, they come coated in black line x. I sell them locally, I haven’t been able to figure out how to ship an 8 foot or more long tube without damaging it.

Ravenmad

Observer
and the backstop safari.

I like how the TR bumpers side tubes wrap around the headlight. However, Im sure the main grill guard on the Backstop is stronger as it overlaps the main bumper structure instead of just terminating into the top plate. Note that neither bumper allows for much airflow to the intercooler and only offer moderate protection for the intercooler in the form of front impact. I do like the lines of the TR bumper though, it seems less cluttered and the grill guard does not give the impression of some monstrosity being pushed around by a diesel truck...

Attachments

• D05SOB.jpg
    D05SOB.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 66

ttengineer

Adventurer

Trail ready is the same company as road armor or at least at one time was the same company.

Back in the early 2000s, trail ready came up with those crazy over the hood bumpers that were under the road armor name, then at some point they split into 2 brands.

I’m pretty sure I’m remembering that correctly, but I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both of these bumpers look as though they fit what I was looking for. I'll start doing some price checking. Thanks for the advice. When I pull the trigger I'll let you guys know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior