2017 Discovery drive..Land Rover is getting back to its old self again!

uzj100

Adventurer
Looks like the 2 speed case is available on most models once the 7 seat option is selected.

Last edited:

LR Max

Local Oaf
This is exactly the sort of stuff I *DO NOT* want on my rig! How much weight, complexity, and cost am I paying for on this gimmick? Really? I need to be able to remotely fold down seats but I don't need proper tires? Just wait until it freaks out on you like the air suspension and decides to go to 'default mode' of all upright (or whatever) when you've got it loaded with gear.... :)

I'm not saying it has to have manual seats and windows, (I'd gladly have that in my RRC though) but somewhere a line has been crossed.

Its all about having the right tools when you go out. With a newer vehicle, you need to carry the correct computer/reader/whatever with you. Also newer vehicles are A LOT more reliable than a RRC, I know that much.

I'd gladly carry a laptop in the back and wheel this thing. Easier than lugging around all the tools I need to keep my 109 going. Air suspension fault. Stop. Plug in. Do a reset, carry on. Quicker than re-adjusting the throttle linkage on a series truck. Get back to pavement, put it back into road trim, and enjoy a relaxing and comfortable drive home. Sounds good to me.

Perhaps that was a poor choice of words. What I should have expressed was the fact that my expectation was that it's off-roading ability was not going to be an improvement over the LR4, let alone a bit better. I thought this based on it looks before I actually drove it. But as you can tell, I loved it! It will be my next vehicle.

Why would you expect the Discovery 5 to struggle on those metrics?

Perhaps that was a poor choice of words. What I should have expressed was the fact that my expectation was that it's off-roading ability was not going to be an improvement over the LR4, let alone a bit better. I thought this based on it looks before I actually drove it. But as you can tell, I loved it! It will be my next vehicle.

soflorovers

CANT WAIT TO SUBMERGE ALL THESE CRISPY ELECTRONICS

Who wants to bet that a "seat broken" fault light will disable the car?

I love your builds and everything you do on this forum/Instagram, but 95% of us probably wouldn't put ANY modern vehicle through 5 feet of water. I'm sure the D5 is sealed up well enough.

zelatore

Explorer
Looks like the 2 speed case is available on most models once the 7 seat option is selected.

What is the logic behind this pairing? Seems to me that those most interested in a proper transfer case are those most looking to wheel the rig, while those most interested in 7-seats are those most looking for a kid hauler. Not mutually exclusive, but certainly not a pairing that has much logic behind it that I can understand.

fishEH

Explorer
First thing I thought when I saw the thread title was "this guy must be affiliated with Land Rover".

JackW

Explorer
The local dealer got a white D5 in to show off. It looks better in person than I thought it would.

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
WAIT!

Wait til you see what Land Rover has in store for the market.

I was lucky enough to be on a panel here in Los Angeles recently and we looked at variations of their new off road vehicle coming (in a couple years?). It's going to have all the great features of their existing product line plus be even more capable off road. Seriously gonna be bad ***!

I told the LR guys from the UK about this site - told them they NEED to be on it. Told them about "Overlanding" and some of the more popular mods that people do - they weren't familiar with some like drawers, fridge, etc.

It was a good time for me and they paid me well (twice for 2 consultations). Very cool to do.

JackW

Explorer
I was lucky enough to be on a panel here in Los Angeles recently and we looked at variations of their new off road vehicle coming (in a couple years?). It's going to have all the great features of their existing product line plus be even more capable off road. Seriously gonna be bad ***!

I told the LR guys from the UK about this site -

I sure wish I could be on one of those panels - I'd love to have some input on their products since I've been driving Land Rovers since 1972 and have a pretty good idea of what the customers for the next Defender will want. It was very cool to see all of the LR3s and LR4s at the Uwharrie event this past weekend - they actually outnumbered the D2's. I've already got a new D5 diesel on order and I'm very encouraged that Land Rover will have the diesel option available on the new Velar (which I think is going to be a pretty neat vehicle). It sounds like you were previewing the next Defender.

Kgh

Let’s go already!
Interesting discussion.

My €.02 as an ExPat in Europe: What the customer base want is a posh 4x4 with cache.

The amount of purchasers who buy any LR/RR new with the intent of going off road is low, lower still for serious off roading. JLR has done plenty of research and focus groups. The member of forums who want serious capability are such a low percentage of the market, basically non-entities.

Hell, we can't even decide,lol. From 35" floatation tire to Moab/Rubicon to drive across country to Deadhorse. That is most likely 3 distinctly different vehicle set-ups, and we expect JLR to make those vehicles?

They cannot really even fit it into one new vehicle. The LR trucks we all know/love/mod are from the era when JLR was doing poorly. They have figured out what the profitable market is, and have moved in that direction. We can lament the fact they missed out on the Jeep niche, and that they let the Defender stagnate and flatline. But it happened. Now, they are a very profitable, well known luxury SUV maker. I do not see that changing. Other manufacturers captured the global market for true utility trucks, and it will likely stay that way.

The fact that LR guys that went to LA did not know about frdges and drawers does not surprise me. Stop in at any dealer in the US or Europe with a RTT on a LR4 or Defender. I have done it both in US and across Europe. No one knew what it was.

JackW

Explorer
White D5 with black roof rails, tow package and V-6 diesel. Very similar to what I have on order except for the saddle seats and the 21" wheels. For what I use my LR3 for now the new car will be very nice. I have the Defender and Series trucks for the real off-road work but with the D5 we can tow a camper and explore the country, visit relatives in far off places and get great fuel economy on the way.

Attachments

• IMG_20170414_160237922(1).jpg
    IMG_20170414_160237922(1).jpg
    550.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20170414_151853333_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170414_151853333_HDR.jpg
    548 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20170414_153107613_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170414_153107613_HDR.jpg
    530.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20170414_151839520_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170414_151839520_HDR.jpg