2017 Chevy Colorado ZR2

XJLI

Adventurer
lol.

You know Chevy hit a home run when people are comparing it to AEV JK Rubicons on 37s. I haven't bought one, I'll just keep dreaming about it.

p nut

butter
lol.

You know Chevy hit a home run when people are comparing it to AEV JK Rubicons on 37s. I haven't bought one, I'll just keep dreaming about it.

It's a truck a lot of enthusiasts have been asking for. I don't think the pricing is right, but I'm sure there will be plenty that will buy.

Dalko43

Explorer
It's a truck a lot of enthusiasts have been asking for. I don't think the pricing is right, but I'm sure there will be plenty that will buy.

The pricing has a way of sorting itself out. The msrp for the zr2 is only a little higher than it is for the trd Tacoma; if the demand is there, people will buy it. If not, the dealerships will lower the price.

You can find optioned out 3/4 ton trucks with $8k-$10k discounts, likely because the market as a whole recognizes how ridiculous some of those msrps are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shradicalwyo

Adventurer
Local dealer just got 2 of them in stock. A crew cab and an extended cab. Waiting for a call back on the ext cab if it hasn't sold already...

I should've taken picture of my first gen Tundra next to the crew cab. Seemed similar sized. If the extended cab one is a diesel then I'm gonna go run the numbers, I can't deal with a 5foot bed.

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Just took a look at a ZR2 gas crew cab a little bit ago. Just looked but it impressed me enough to want to go test drive it and the little duramax version they just got in. May go back tomorrow and drive both. Slick set up. Pricing could be better but as mentioned before...pricing tends to work itself out.

Stryder106

Explorer
Dealer in Riverside, CA has a ZR2 gas - awesome little truck - but when they took the $43K MSRP and then added another $20K to it as dealer markup - no thanks. I would want the diesel - it will be an additional $3K.

phobostx

Dealer in Riverside, CA has a ZR2 gas - awesome little truck - but when they took the $43K MSRP and then added another $20K to it as dealer markup - no thanks. I would want the diesel - it will be an additional $3K.

Shop around. Not every dealer is pulling that nonsense. I just picked up a diesel crewcab for $5k below MSRP 2 weeks ago.

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
The ONLY problem I have with GM trucks is their square wheel openings which are problematic for going with larger tires.

Apparently GM has a solution in the works...

80-chevy_gmc_3156bbb79bd6df111bffa03ef0d30d3f50682e48.png

original.jpg

Price aside, the biggest problem (IMO) with the Chevy Colorado is the difficulty and cost of running larger tires. To run 35" tires would necessitate a lift of some size which would, because of the square wheel well design, raise the COG quite a bit. And the cost. And you'd be dumping perhaps the best bits from the truck - the factory shocks.

Until you lift one of these trucks this is what owners will be dealing with offroad...

Video: 2017 Chevy Colorado Off-Roading Fail
http://www.offroadxtreme.com/videos...gn=video-2017-chevy-colorado-off-roading-fail
This Duramax Colorado had an off-road fail not too long ago. All it took was one rock, low clearance, and a driver not paying attention!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
High centering your stock truck on a rock covered in water isnt a truck fail. Its a operator fail.

35-37 tires are Rubicon territory on midsized rigs which are all highly modified one way or another. Any midsized rig running 35's is either just a poser driving around town or someone who suffers log slow slab rides to really challenging trails.

The square fender thing is silly but a a group of Stock Zr2's on 33's did the Rubicon unscathed. That trail is not a simple trail. Id bet only .5% of the Zr2 owners ever take trails in the Rubicon level of complexity. But all the owners travel slab highway multiple times a week.

The standard Colorado is also a bit lower, narrower and missing skid plates and rock sliders.

Id love to have a ZR2 but in reality the better highway performance and higher tow rating and long bed in the Colorado/Canyon would be a more accurate choice for my needs. I wouldnt take a 30-40k rig up the Rubicon anyway. A $3000 beater jeep sure.

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
High centering your stock truck on a rock covered in water isnt a truck fail. Its a operator fail.

35-37 tires are Rubicon territory on midsized rigs which are all highly modified one way or another. Any midsized rig running 35's is either just a poser driving around town or someone who suffers log slow slab rides to really challenging trails.

The square fender thing is silly but a a group of Stock Zr2's on 33's did the Rubicon unscathed. That trail is not a simple trail. Id bet only .5% of the Zr2 owners ever take trails in the Rubicon level of complexity. But all the owners travel slab highway multiple times a week.

The standard Colorado is also a bit lower, narrower and missing skid plates and rock sliders.

Id love to have a ZR2 but in reality the better highway performance and higher tow rating and long bed in the Colorado/Canyon would be a more accurate choice for my needs. I wouldnt take a 30-40k rig up the Rubicon anyway. A $3000 beater jeep sure.

Sorry but I take exception to most of what you just posted:

High centering your truck - stock or not, is not operator fail except in your perfect world. Vehicles are modified to improve the vehicle's capabilities and give the operator better chances at avoiding obstacles (including going over them in a lifted truck). No operator can see what's in water (holes or rocks) nor can he/she avoid them all.

35-37" tires does not always require "highly modified vehicles." In the case of the ZR's they will require a lift and/or body lift to run 35's or larger.

And your statement, "Any midsized rig running 35's is either just a poser driving around town or someone who suffers log slow slab rides to really challenging trails" is ignorant at best.

Not sure why you jumped from running over a rock to running the Rubicon but if a group of "Stock ZR2's on 33's did the Rubicon unscathed" that's a surprise (simply due to the length of the truck) and I'd like to see that write-up/article. I'm sure the ZR's could run the Rubi and it's possible they did it "unscathed" but I'm skeptical of the latter.

(none)

Adventurer
And it doesn't take a rocket scientist to just back up after hitting the rock...not forcing it further along which is what probably bent the pan. He's lucky he got off that easy.

Dalko43

Explorer
Price aside, the biggest problem (IMO) with the Chevy Colorado is the difficulty and cost of running larger tires. To run 35" tires would necessitate a lift of some size which would, because of the square wheel well design, raise the COG quite a bit. And the cost. And you'd be dumping perhaps the best bits from the truck - the factory shocks.

Until you lift one of these trucks this is what owners will be dealing with offroad...

http://www.offroadxtreme.com/videos...gn=video-2017-chevy-colorado-off-roading-fail
This Duramax Colorado had an off-road fail not too long ago. All it took was one rock, low clearance, and a driver not paying attention!

I agree with Calicamper on this one. High-centering on a rock is not a truck fail, it's a driver fail. From the camera view, it's obvious there was a rock sticking out of the water; I'm guessing the driver didn't notice it. The rule of thumb is to drive with your wheels on top of high (or questionable) obstacles rather than drive the vehicle's center over them, regardless of which vehicle you're driving. The Z71 lacked skid plates in that area, which is a questionable design choice on GM's part. Nonetheless, there are aftermarket skids and the Zr2 offers skids. Bottom line is an offroader should always be careful around high obstacles and armor up if he/she is going into rough terrain; the driver in this video did neither.

I wonder at which point the square wheel wells become an issue? Lol...to be fair, square wheels wouldn't rotate any better in a square wheel well, so that joke of yours doesn't really make sense. As it stands the ZR2 fits 32's I believe...IMHO, I think that tire size is more than adequate for how most owners, even overlanders, will be using their Colorado's/Canyon's. I'm sure the aftermarket will find a way to fit 33's. Fitting 35's on a mid-sized pickup/SUV sounds great on paper, but is largely impractical and unnecessary for everyday use and even most types of overlanding. You'll have worse acceleration (unless you regear, which costs more money), worse fuel economy (even with the diesel), increased tire noise, ect. If you plan on running the Rubicon on a regular basis, I could see the need for 35's. But I also don't know how many people are foolish enough, or rich enough, to buy a brand new +$42k vehicle and then risk damaging it on a hardcore jeep trail.

I see far more lifted Jeeps with 35's, sometimes 37's, cruising down the main streets in my town (it's quite a comical sight) than I see when I go into the logging roads and backcountry of the northeast. That's not a knock on the overland capabilities of Jeeps, because they're solid performers offroad. But I think there is a certain crowd which likes to buy and "accessorize" their Jeeps for show rather than for utilitarian function. And just because that crowd has 35's on their rigs, doesn't mean that you need 35's on your own.

Last edited:

Jason911

Adventurer

You cite the Colorado, but you display pictures/memes of a Silverado, and act as though you're an authority on the subject matter, yet you drive a ford Raptor?

Bob Laublaw

^^^No kidding.

Also...Have you SEEN the shape of the wheel wells on a Tacoma (you know the main competition of the Colorado)? The third gens are...Okay. But the last generation had wheel wells that were shaped like a toddler tried to mash the round peg into a square hole. They're asymmetrical weird looking and didn't lend themselves to larger tires either.

Wheel well shapes are about 317th on my list of important things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94