2017 Chevy Colorado ZR2

calicamper

Expedition Leader
All the discussion in this thread has really made me think. I have a 2k Tacoma TRD with the v6 and a Flipac on it that is just as old. I will turn 260k on her before the years end. Had to replace the tranny about 20k ago while traveling in Oregon, it isn't as easy or cheap to find a tranny for a Toyota as I thought.. I almost replaced her then but it fit the bill for me and I like not having a car payment. Well.. Now I have "met the one" and she has a few children. Needless to say the jumpseats are not comfortable for hours in a truck for the kids. The truck is mechanically sound and still doesn't burn oil but the Tacoma is getting long in the tooth and due for a suspension make over and a few repairs on the Flipac.

Seeing as how our needs and my family has grown it is time to upgrade. We need something to take on trails like the White Rim, the mountain passes around Colorado, Mexico and other areas. Plus be a daily driver. We have a car to use for getting around town. We have thought about vans but we aren't going to get one in the areas we want unless we go the Earth Cruiser route which is $$$$

We are now deciding between a truck with either a lightweight slide in or a topper with a roof top tent and add in a used pop-up camper trailer modified for off-road.

With all of that in mind.. All of the discussion on price, size, etc has really made me think and will have to expand my search and compare a full size. I was dead set on a 4 door, longbed, diesel zr1. The 30mpg is nice and the difference of 8-10 mpg adds up over the life of a truck.

Keep the discussion going. I am learning a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have two kids. Thinking more and more about the Canyon slt 4dr LB diesel, paired with a tacoma habitat. Add kids pipe cot bunks on the ground floor, mom and dad get the penthouse. But also watching the pu bed drawer development. Which would be really nice for locking out of sight storage, head room vs deck height above the drawer system is something I'm curious about.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
No drawer system the 6ft LB Canyon would give me a nice spot to park my mt bike under a contractor cap or tacoma habitat. Either way a cap like that and some what clean roof line shouldn't impact mileage much. The FWC guys are reporting about 25mpg with the fwc. So 28-30 shouldn't be out of the norm with a clean topper.

springsyeti

Yes @p nut I would prefer to have a pickup. I will look at the Canyon. I sent a message to Adventure Trailer asking about the habitat fitting on the Colorado and have not heard anything. The specs show the Toyota bed a bit narrower 41.5 and the Chevy at 44.4. So it will fit? Weighing the advantages of the habitat and then adding extra battery, fridge, drawers, etc.. Or just go with a 4wheel slide in. Not to hijack the thread.

Clutch

<---Pass
Looks like they are doing a test fit.

13962691_1254730497891602_695769879093865900_n.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
I have two kids. Thinking more and more about the Canyon slt 4dr LB diesel, paired with a tacoma habitat. Add kids pipe cot bunks on the ground floor, mom and dad get the penthouse. But also watching the pu bed drawer development. Which would be really nice for locking out of sight storage, head room vs deck height above the drawer system is something I'm curious about.

Need to get one of those Alu-Cab 4 sleepers.

Clutch

<---Pass
Thanks! Are you a spy? Lol

You're welcome! Ha ha...no spy, it was on their facebook page. Might be more info on their thread in here. Edit: did quickie scan...just pictures from what I can tell, no more info.

Last edited:

ZR2nit

Adventurer
I have a question for you new Colorado owners. I'm interested in buying either a 2.8 crew cab long bed or the new 2.8 ZR2. My question is for the owners with a "loaded" Colorado. I understand the newer cars have updates much like a new phone. How much of a pain in the butt, and does it cost anything, to get the updates done to your vehicle? If your truck has navigation, how do they go about updating the navigation system? Is it something you have to pay for?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Waaaay out of my budget...
Same here.
The Habitat is pushing 9k after tax and such. Looking at contractor caps also nice Aluminum high top runs about 3k. That might be more realistic unless my small side biz goes better than expected.

Clutch

<---Pass
Same here.
The Habitat is pushing 9k after tax and such. Looking at contractor caps also nice Aluminum high top runs about 3k. That might be more realistic unless my small side biz goes better than expected.

I priced out the Habitat...coming out to $10K for me, after adding windows. It is cool and all, but $10K for a glorified tent...can't do it. FWC shell is $9500, which comes with a window, lights and a few other things. Would hold in heat better too. All Terrain Campers look to be $7500 for a shell...even better! https://www.allterraincampers.com/PricingAndOptions

The other week I was on my way to go test drive a new Tacoma and spied this out of the corner of my eye sitting on the Chevy lot, 2nd Gen Tacoma with a contractor top, had tool boxes and a bed slide...pretty neat. I could see that being converted into a poor man's Alu-Cab.

Toss on a RTT and call it good. Mom and dad in the RTT. Maybe pull out the passenger tool box, put in a windoor Leave the bed slide and some how attach a bed to it, pull it out, put the kids to bed, slide it back in. Kids might get a kick of that. Or a small ladder where they can climb from the side.

http://www.edmarknampa.com/inventor...acccab-4wd-truck-double-cab-5tfuu4en4bx012485

c8fe2a0eccb327d46f0c03770965e406.jpg

a0e87bb75ea88de3710b352fdbee713d.jpg

e12ec9a3034669ae17b5a9c510b20bfa.jpg

d7dba9232be16578feb734f88b8b8e64.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier