2017 Chevrolet Express Camper Van

I'd look at a receiver/swing out mounting system for your bikes; the combination of risk of injury/damage carrying them up there, the crazy amount of height when they are up there, and the PITA pulling them down just for a short ride would be (for me) too many cons..
Completely agree. I do have a 3 bike hitch mount as well. I was more thinking the occasions when I want to carry a few buddies with me and their bikes and gear, I can have more options and mounting points since now I can safely carry 5 people. I can also see taking a vacation with the girlfriend and wanting to haul the dual sport on the back and a couple bikes for cruising the towns up top. So I went ahead and welded tabs for 2 Yakima Blockheads. I'm thinking once I get my lift done it will put my overall height with the fork mounted bikes up top around 11 feet. So yes I'll mostly have to be concerned about low branches pulling into mountain bike parks and avoid the fast food drive throughs.

Last edited:

Len.Barron

Observer
I carry our scooter with us and that sets behind the spare and tool box swing outs, that's the max I would want out back; look at maybe a front receiver hitch and carry your bicycles up front and your motorcycle out back, my rig is 10'2" tall I wouldn't want anything up higher than that.

Attachments

I carry our scooter with us and that sets behind the spare and tool box swing outs, that's the max I would want out back; look at maybe a front receiver hitch and carry your bicycles up front and your motorcycle out back, my rig is 10'2" tall I wouldn't want anything up higher than that.

Very cool rig!! And thanks for the ideas. I hadn't thought about a front mount.

Great November weather here over the weekend. I got the cedar slats done on my rack Saturday. I had to try out the new bike mounts so I got up early on Sunday and met with a group of friends for some road biking. Then drove straight from there to the local mountain bike park for some off road fun. The overall height was 10'-8". I could shave 5" off that by simply dropping my dropper seat post down. That means after the Weldtec lift I'll still be able to keep my overall height to under 11 foot.

Attachments

Last edited:
Great weekend in the Ozarks. 10 miles of mountain biking and 85 miles of dual sport riding on Saturday. Followed by a great bunch of guys sharing stories around a campfire Saturday night. Then 50 miles of bicycle gravel riding on Sunday. The one ton van did so much better than my old 1/2 ton all loaded down.

Attachments

No real updates yet. Just out using the van for it's intended purpose. I went to a big three day mountain and gravel bike festival this past weekend in Arkansas. Probably had more sprinter vans per capita as anywhere in the state. I did manage to get stuck pulling in trying to get a cool spot away from the crowds in the parking lot. Luckily I had some recovery gear with me. I'm really ready for a lift, meatier tires and eventually at least a locker in the rear.

Attachments

Last edited:

Recommended books for Overlanding

I decided to use this social distancing time to redo the galley area and sink box to match the interior of the new van. I will no longer be using the weed sprayer as the freshwater side. 2 gallon rotopax slim water tank on order. Will still use the same 5 gallon gray water tank. The faucet will be fed by a small 12v pump. I recently redid the kitchen flooring in my house and had some left over vinyl sheet so that became the counter top. The faucet folds flat and out of the way of the counter top area.

Attachments

Last edited:
Got a great deal from a friend on a set of 17 inch OE GM wheels from a 09 2500 Suburban. They came with 265/70r17 Toyo Open Country load range E with about 3/4 life left in them. I will break them down soon and have the wheels painted either pewter or dark bronze. Still undecided on the color.

Attachments