2017+ Armada - Advice Humbly Sought

Viper

Good day - I've crawled through (pun intended) most of the Armada-related threads on here and clubarmada and wanted to see if anyone might be willing to offer some advice to help clarify some of the dated/older advice I've found.

I'm a previous LC 80 owner (overbuilt it, won't do that again!) and T4R (more thoughtfully built, lighter components, etc.). Next project is an Armada - I really like the rig and the V8. The after market part scarcity is a bit concerning, though, but I have most work (80% plus) done by shops (so a little chopping here and welding there will be in the hands of the pros!). This is a combination of laziness and incompetence, I suppose (my winch install in the LC 80 lead to windshield wipers coming on when I fired that puppy up, as one example).

My plan is: lift (2.5 to 3") and upgraded suspension with new tires/wheels, followed by sliders and bash plate, then front bumper/winch, and rear spare tire carrier (Wilco or Ultraswing), followed by full length roof rack. I doubt I'll ever do a rooftop tent - the CG change makes me nervous, especially with a lift. Too much weight anyway.

I'm not a rock crawler and mostly use my rigs to facilitate my mountain biking, backpacking, backcountry skiing, kayaking and rifle walking (some call this "hunting").

For suspension/lift: I've got unanswered inquiries into Dash Offroad - they made mention here over year ago of a USA parts catalogue and I know they have lots of Y62 chassis stuff for the Patrol, but anyone know the status of that?

Calmini website is all sorts of messed up and they too have not answered emails or the phone. Anyone know their status? Same for Rocky Ridge - I've seen posting that they don't sell the lift kits but only integrate into dealer sold cars. Nisstec is an option, too...maybe?

Also, I can't imagine I can do a 2.5 - 3" inch lift without upgrading the suspension, so not sure what direction to go there if not included in the lift kits.

Based on the Mountain Patrol and Snow Patrol concepts, I think I can get a bumper/winch combo (light as possible) done with some minor fab work...thoughts on the right one?

Sliders...someone used Taco DCSB ones, I think, but needed to combo bolt/weld. Are there others I am missing? Same for bash plates.

Any/all advice is most welcome, and I appreciate the input. I'll share what works as I get this thing going.

Thank you.

GED2

Calmini/Steve responded to me by email when I asked if their Armada 3" lift kit would work on a QX80 or a QX56 (They said yes) a few days ago. From the pictures of their kit, there seems to be no socks included, so it's just a 3" raise of the frame & body (if I understand correctly).
Screen Shot 2020-09-05 at 11.17.16.png

Old Man Emu in Australia seems to have for the Nissan Patrol Y62 (2010-2017) Non-HBMC (QX80-Base & Armada) a ton of kits at:
But you have to decide first if
1) will not install an off road bumper, nor a winch
2) has off-road bumper
3) has offroad bumper AND winch
and then which constant load (accessories) will be in/on the car: 0, 400lbs or 800lbs

The lighter one (no bumper, no winch, no load) gives you close to 2" of lift:
Screen Shot 2020-09-05 at 11.14.43.png

Shocks look nice, but have no remote reservoir, so, I guess, no endurance for washboard-type road.

zanethan

I’d stay FAR away from Calmni (lots of horror stories in the Xterra community). I also would suggest a pre 2017 Armada. The redesigned model has a lot of weaker front end components. In poking through the Armada forums QC isn’t quite there either.

ArmandaY62

I own a 2017 armada and agree the shocks suck. I plan to upgrade them and thinking of going with y62 king shock replacements. I haven’t heard of other front end issues though.

Viper

Here's what I received from Dash Offroad:

Thanks for reaching out, YES there is a 2-3 inch lift kit almost avail and that will be through Nisstec in Denver, with regards to the front bumper we are this week scanning a Mada in Denver and hope to have the adjustments done the following week. Yes although they (Y62 and Mada) look very much the same it's not until you look underneath and take things off that you soon realise that are quite different (yeah very strange why Nissan would do this)...

All I can say is keep an eye on our social media and website also reach out to Chris at Nisstec and let him know you would like to be notified when lift kit an front bar are close.

rgds

Matt

ArmandaY62

Anyone know how Old Man Emu shocks will feel in comparison to stock shocks? Are they firmer? The floaty ride in the Armada is awful.

Viper

Some Aussie forums say the Y62 runs great on OME, much stiffer. Could not find anything on that exact set-up. 40mm and 50mm translates to 1.5 in and about 2.0 inch, little low for me - add 35s and pick up an inch? But could maybe fix that with a spacer lift, and I think it would need to be leveled if that's your thing. Even packed up in the back I think she'd drive nose down.

Viper

For the Dash Offroad Predator bumper - Dash has to modify it more, it currently does not fit and requires two more supports to be added, so according to Nisstec, who will be the US supplier, "standby."

ArmandaY62

I just realized Armadas have self-leveling rear suspension. I'm now not sure I want to mess with changing those out. How would the ride be if I just changed out the front suspension, and left the rears OEM?

SRN

Adventurer
Glad to see the Armada is starting to gain a little traction here. I'm picking up a 2017 SV tomorrow to replace my much loved Trooper that's just getting a little long in the tooth. I'm looking for the same info that the OP is. Just wanting a mild lift to fit a more aggressive tire and gain some clearance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz