2017 4runner v 2017 Landcruiser

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Lucky for us in the US we get to buy a LC pickup...the Tundra...they have the same engine...
:rolleyes:
F250 is a POS compared to a 200 series since we are all comparing nuts to butts...

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Got a trailer, it's a pain in the ***. I really dont see anything a cruiser will do that cant be done in a 4 door truck.

I like the Cruiser, but I dont see it in mystical proportions. It's as another poster wrote earlier, you have to ask yourself what you really "need". I dont need a cruiser, dont really "need" anything other than my Tacoma and my work truck is issued to me for personal use as well as work, so I dont really even need the Tacoma.

Guy in Africa had a land cruiser and drove it on avg for 200000 kilometers. He was bored and decided to get a Ford. The ford lasted for 60000 kilometers before it was trashed. I believe in the mystical proportions of the land cruiser.

chadwicksavage

Adventurer
He wasn't treating it harshly either I believe. It's at the 4xoverland youtube channel that Andrew St. Pierre tells that story. I've watched a lot of his stuff the last few days and in several videos of his most recent troopy built he mentions not overloading your vehicle. Just to bring this full circle. :)

Dalko43

Explorer
That's the exact same thing 4R and Taco owners do as well, it's not just LC owners. And I mostly hang out with Taco and 4R owners.

You say that, but I hang out with Tacoma and 4runner owners as well, and I find them far less likely to make these kind of biased statements:

Because one is built 10x better than the other.

A LC is 10x better built than a Ford Super Duty? Have you driven a new Ford Super Duty recently?

Outwardbound

Observer
Since Opinions are running rampant here, then the fact is that the perfect vehicle is one that the owner is willing to spend money to buy and keep for many years. Some people like to trade vehicles in regularly. If you drive a ford, and it lasts many years, good on you. If you spend around 100k on a new landcruiser, I hope you keep it for the decades of service it will provide. Either way, I know die hard GM fans that swear by their trucks as the best. That's their opinion.

I'm a Toyota guy but lust after Ram 2500s, specifically the power wagons, but I question their durability and reliability. I have a 4runner TE. Is it the best? No. It's not fast, lacks many creature comforts, and has many short comings. But I love it because it's fire and forget in terms of reliability and the pros outway cons to me. Therefore, for me, it's perfect. And I'll keep for many years to come.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Dalko43

Explorer
Lucky for us in the US we get to buy a LC pickup...the Tundra...they have the same engine...
:rolleyes:
F250 is a POS compared to a 200 series since we are all comparing nuts to butts...

The Tundra is not at all related to the LC; they share the same gasoline engine in the US and certain other markets. That's about it.

F250 being a POS? I driven a 2017 recently; they're very nice vehicles with very decent engine options (gasoline and diesel). It's a very versatile truck and in a completely different category from something like the LC 200. Before you criticize it, you should at least experience its capabilities. IMHO, Ford's build quality is right up there with Toyota when it comes to newer trucks. I suppose certain hardcore Toyota fans would have a hard time accepting that kind of comparison, but I've seen enough of both trucks to make my own judgement.

Guy in Africa had a land cruiser and drove it on avg for 200000 kilometers. He was bored and decided to get a Ford. The ford lasted for 60000 kilometers before it was trashed. I believe in the mystical proportions of the land cruiser.

Are you regurgitating anecdotal stories from Andrew St. Pierre White's overland channel? Do you have any personal experience to offer, or are you going to keep passing off other peoples' experiences as your own?

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
The Tundra is not at all related to the LC; they share the same gasoline engine in the US and certain other markets. That's about it.

F250 being a POS? I driven a 2017 recently; they're very nice vehicles with very decent engine options (gasoline and diesel). It's a very versatile truck and in a completely different category from something like the LC 200. Before you criticize it, you should at least experience its capabilities. IMHO, Ford's build quality is right up there with Toyota when it comes to newer trucks. I suppose certain hardcore Toyota fans would have a hard time accepting that kind of comparison, but I've seen enough of both trucks to make my own judgement.

Are you regurgitating anecdotal stories from Andrew St. Pierre White's overland channel? Do you have any personal experience to offer, or are you going to keep passing off other peoples' experiences as your own?

It’s precious you drove a brand new truck and attempt to make the claim that they are up there with Toyota. But it’s a brand new truck so it hasn’t had a chance for things to go wrong. I do have experience. Have you been to Afghanistan? What’s the number one vehicle they drive over there? Not fords or anything American made. That’s right it is toyota. . However there are vineyards on the five I’ve been at in Iraq that had gm trucks and fords that had failed from driving around on the fob.

You say that, but I hang out with Tacoma and 4runner owners as well, and I find them far less likely to make these kind of biased statements:

A LC is 10x better built than a Ford Super Duty? Have you driven a new Ford Super Duty recently?

It's not a biased statement. I was answering why some people would choose a LC over a F250. I know how nice Ford trucks are now, but if you had a brand new Land Cruiser, and a brand new F250, and were given 1 year to drive each from the tip of Alaska to the tip of South America, and then from South Africa to Europe and across Russia, and then do the entire trip in reverse, I guarantee you it would be clear which one is built better. Significantly better.

The same could be said for the 100 series and the F250 of that generation, and the same could be said for the 80 series and the 250 of that generation. Etc. THAT is a fact.

That being said, I would not be one of those people that took the 200 series over the F250, provided I would get to keep my 100 series. I'm a huge fan of new American trucks (and older).

Every car or truck make has fanboys, that's just how it is. Doesn't matter if you are a Jeep owner, 4runner owner, or anything else. Have you driven a F250 superduty in Moab? Or just on the street? Have you done real offroading in it? How would you know how well it would hold up to real abuse on the trail, for the next 200,000 miles? There are plenty of 200 series owners who have, which is why they feel that way.

Maybe the brand new F250 superduty IS identical in terms of build quality, and longevity, but no one would actually know until the new models get 400,000 miles+ on them without any significant issues. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
wow I have triggered a good conversation :D

let me restate my question and elaborate my point.
pls note I am not a ford guy nor I am a toyota guy. I have a saab wagon. In a year or two me and my gf/partner will be looking for a vehicle that will serve us for 10+ years.
I need / want to have a good justification why is it wise to invest in car that is almost 100K.

Now lets assume there is a hypothetical guy XY.
Mr. XY's goal is to explore BC, the Rockies, north west/east Canada, the great plains, southwest of US, Alaska etc.
He wants to keep this car for 10+. So this is an investment and long term commitment.

There are tow vehicle he has his eyes on it.

1) TLC. The car with a great reputation, history, quality, style, aftermarket etc... but too expansive and also too fat. (I am sorry but TLC 200 looks like a guy that ones used to be an athlete but later spent much time at MacDonald's than at gym)
2) Ford F250. Great styling, roomy, can carry ****. but... well its ford...

Let use some facts

F250 FX4

pros

Good and strong engines. Gas or diesel.
Solid axles with beefier diffs.
Factory locker. (rear one)
Good, roomy and quite interior.
Relatively cheaper

pros.
Quality and reliability (although there tons of car with 300K mileage and still running well)
Kinda too big.
Arguably it has not really been designed for over-landing.
It's a truck thus you will be easily stereotyped.

TLC 200

Pros.

Quality and reliability.
AWD
Arguably it has been designed for over-landing
Very comfortable.
Great aftermarket
Looks cool unlike ford. (if you drive a truck people usually assume that you are a redneck gun-freak Trumper) :D (not a bad thing at all. This is free country)

cons
Too big. (compare to TCL 60, 75 or 80)
5.7 V8 is not as good as Ford's 6.4 gas with respect mpg.
TOO expansive.
No factory lockers (the US model)
Only rear solid axle. (yeah I know IFS are not as bad as one might think)

What would convince Mr. XY that a TLC200 is better suitable than F250 for exploring and visiting aforementioned places?

Why not get a low mileage, late model 100 series? Use the saved money for goodies, it will still ride better than 99% of vehicles on the road, it's luxurious, it is bulletproof, and it's not as massive as other options, blah blah.

Edit:

Good and strong engines. Gas or diesel. - Check minus diesel.
Solid axles with beefier diffs. - Not really going to be any real advantage over the 100 series when offroading since I assume you won't be doing extreme trails that hardcore crawlers shine on.
Factory locker. (rear one) - I believe newer 100 series have that option. Still have enough leftover money to throw on ARBs and 4.88s.
Good, roomy and quite interior. - Check.
Relatively cheaper - Check.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
fatcircles

Why not get a low mileage, late model 100 series?

That is 80% what I am gonna do.
Here in NYC area people (mostly moms and milfs) drive very well preserved TCL100. Those care never saw a dirt road)
Not sure what I like most the drivers or their cars :D

I just asked the question because I came across a new 2017 F250 with an FX4 package just 55K.
Some say you can get them even cheaper. Especially the gas ones.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader

let me restate my question and elaborate my point.
pls note I am not a ford guy nor I am a toyota guy. I have a saab wagon. In a year or two me and my gf/partner will be looking for a vehicle that will serve us for 10+ years.
I need / want to have a good justification why is it wise to invest in car that is almost 100K.

Now lets assume there is a hypothetical guy XY.
Mr. XY's goal is to explore BC, the Rockies, north west/east Canada, the great plains, southwest of US, Alaska etc.
He wants to keep this car for 10+. So this is an investment and long term commitment.

There are tow vehicle he has his eyes on it.

1) TLC. The car with a great reputation, history, quality, style, aftermarket etc... but too expansive and also too fat. (I am sorry but TLC 200 looks like a guy that ones used to be an athlete but later spent much time at MacDonald's than at gym)
2) Ford F250. Great styling, roomy, can carry ****. but... well its ford...

Let use some facts

F250 FX4

pros

Good and strong engines. Gas or diesel.
Solid axles with beefier diffs.
Factory locker. (rear one)
Good, roomy and quite interior.
Relatively cheaper

pros.
Quality and reliability (although there tons of car with 300K mileage and still running well)
Kinda too big.
Arguably it has not really been designed for over-landing.
It's a truck thus you will be easily stereotyped.

TLC 200

Pros.

Quality and reliability.
AWD
Arguably it has been designed for over-landing
Very comfortable.
Great aftermarket
Looks cool unlike ford. (if you drive a truck people usually assume that you are a redneck gun-freak Trumper) :D (not a bad thing at all. This is free country)

cons
Too big. (compare to TCL 60, 75 or 80)
5.7 V8 is not as good as Ford's 6.4 gas with respect mpg.
TOO expansive.
No factory lockers (the US model)
Only rear solid axle. (yeah I know IFS are not as bad as one might think)

What would convince Mr. XY that a TLC200 is better suitable than F250 for exploring and visiting aforementioned places?

The 200 is less than an 1” wider, same wheelbase and 2” longer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior