2017 4runner v 2017 Landcruiser

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Funny how you cant read. Every 5 months a rebuild. Not umm its whole life. Point being, LCs in remote countries are not magically problem free.

Funny how you’re trying to put words in my mouth. Rebuilding a front suspension doesn’t prove anything. I think you’re trying to make a point from a mute statement. But you go drive your Subaru

Oh he's seen that article and excerpt before on this very forum. That's how I found it 2-3 days ago. It didn't change his mind then or now. Also why I haven't bothered to comment. He's obviously an angry troll, as he has these discussions fairly often apparently.

Once he implied a Jeep Wrangler is more reliable than a Toyota Land Cruiser I realized we are all wasting our breath on a bitter troll.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Toyota folks are true believers... More like a religion than a car or truck company... Dalko presented excellent info and discussion points.. and if one weren't a true believer... Zealot.. one could hear...

I have driven the crap out of Ford's,dodge, gm, jeep... On and off road for probably close to a million combined miles... I have actually never had a real problem...

Right now my off-road e350 has 330,000 miles.. and I just put a rebuilt v10,not because I had to, because it ran perfect, but because my wife asked me to before we venture to Baja and points South this year...

Maybe the zealot nature of Toyota believers have them maintain their vehicles better... And that may be the actual factor involved...
I think the zealots are simply stuck in 1980.

Dalko43

Explorer
Here's that 900km article... 186K miles between "rebores" might not sound that impressive today but this article was written 25 years ago.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/interesting-1fz-fe-80series-article.401807/

900k km (with 300k km between rebores) is not the same as a million mile engine, which was the claim being parroted around on a previous thread. 900k km = 560k miles.

I don't know what is meant by "service life" but as far as 25 years.... here is a reference regarding the 100 series.

"Excerpts from article in Automotive Industries, Feb. 1998, by Lindsay Brook

Design/Engineering: Chassis

Design of UZJ100, as the '98 Cruiser program is coded, was frozen in mid-1994, says veteran chief engineer Takeo Kondo. At that point, the previous FJ80 model was three years old. And as on every previous Cruiser, UZJ100 has body-on-frame construction.
"There was never any consideration of unibody design," Kondo tells AI. "Long-term durability has always been the number one goal of the Land Cruiser program," he explains, "and we expect these vehicles to be on the road for at least 25 years." Range Rover was the program's primary benchmark, particularly for suspension articulation, chassis stiffness and interior appointments."

Again, from a grain of truth comes hype; a Toyota engineer makes a comment about the LC 100's anticipated longevity, and that morphs into "all Toyota LC's have a 25 year service life."

And out of curiosity, has anyone seen Toyota engineers make similar comments about the current generation of LC's? Some of these facts are being derived from sources that are about 20, or more, years old.

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
Suspension failing. Engines failing to start or running like crap once started.

The areas I was in the roads were crap. The fords and chevys however never left the fob. My experience with domestic trucks is far from stellar. Maybe I just have bad luck

Where I was, most Toyota 4x4's wouldn't leave the FOB's either, unless it was a unit doing joint operations with indigenous forces. And by 2010 and beyond, most HMMWV's didn't leave the FOB's either. None of those vehicles were setup to survive IED blasts.

TonyLC

Did we actually find out what service life meant?

I drive about 60,000 a year and I would dig having something I could run for 1,500,000 miles. But if he just means parts are available, thats no biggie

I don't think so.
I was entering double digits on my craft beer count at that that point, but I do remember him saying that phrase.

PishPosh

Am I seeing the chart correctly? The 4runner has more cargo volume than the LC??
Is this with the 3rd row seats folded up or removed completely?
I'm surprised that it's even remotely similar to the LC, let alone bigger..

Sorry to bring this back to the first post

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94