2017 4Runner Premium vs '08 Loaded Cruiser

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Having owned a 4Runner and three Cruisers - a 60, and two 80's - all built, I would lump the GX460 into Land Cruiser's territory. While the chassis is the same, there is far more different between a GX and a 4Runner than there is similar. Its as silly as saying a Tacoma is a Hilux. It ain't. 4Runners are great rigs, but some say it is better off road than a GX. Imagine, if you will, all the variables in that notion and you will see its idiocy. Mod wise, the 4Runner is way ahead, and not many parts truly interchange. They also hold their value really well. So well, I don't see how a two or three year old 4Runner EVER sells as its so close to new pricing. But that is the charm of the GX - you get a V8 luxo cruiser with locking diffs, variable suspension, 6 speed auto, super comfy interior with lots of dependable bells and whistles and it depreciates faster than a 4Runner. Curse of the luxury segment - blessing to us.

I came within an eyelash of getting a super nice 4Runner for $37K in limited trim with 5K miles. I am much happier with my GX460 Premium with more power and nicer everything for nearly $10K less.

YMMV

MTSN

Explorer
Having owned a 4Runner and three Cruisers - a 60, and two 80's - all built, I would lump the GX460 into Land Cruiser's territory. While the chassis is the same, there is far more different between a GX and a 4Runner than there is similar. Its as silly as saying a Tacoma is a Hilux. It ain't. 4Runners are great rigs, but some say it is better off road than a GX. Imagine, if you will, all the variables in that notion and you will see its idiocy. Mod wise, the 4Runner is way ahead, and not many parts truly interchange. They also hold their value really well. So well, I don't see how a two or three year old 4Runner EVER sells as its so close to new pricing. But that is the charm of the GX - you get a V8 luxo cruiser with locking diffs, variable suspension, 6 speed auto, super comfy interior with lots of dependable bells and whistles and it depreciates faster than a 4Runner. Curse of the luxury segment - blessing to us.

I came within an eyelash of getting a super nice 4Runner for $37K in limited trim with 5K miles. I am much happier with my GX460 Premium with more power and nicer everything for nearly $10K less.

YMMV

Locking diffs in a GX460? You must mean center locking diff.

phsycle

Adventurer
I am going through a similar debate. I want to grab a 3 year old 4Runner Trail with around 50K miles which is certified preowned and under $30K USD.

Unless you need to tow - then go with the LC..

I was looking a few months ago for a 4Runner Trail. Couldn't find a single one with low mileage (<50k) for under $30k. Unless you get one from the rust belt. Even then, it is tough.

Having owned a 4Runner and three Cruisers - a 60, and two 80's - all built, I would lump the GX460 into Land Cruiser's territory.

Not to get into semantics, but GX is a 4Runner. Sure, sheet metal and options are different, but suspension, size, etc. are the same. Very nice vehicle, though. Hopefully the aftermarket support vamps up for that model. The only thing I wish is for either a traditional lift hatch, or a tail gate (like an LC).

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
I was looking a few months ago for a 4Runner Trail. Couldn't find a single one with low mileage (<50k) for under $30k. Unless you get one from the rust belt. Even then, it is tough.

Not to get into semantics, but GX is a 4Runner. Sure, sheet metal and options are different, but suspension, size, etc. are the same. Very nice vehicle, though. Hopefully the aftermarket support vamps up for that model. The only thing I wish is for either a traditional lift hatch, or a tail gate (like an LC).

To each their own, but Toyota seems to think its a Land Cruiser:

Attachments

• Toyota-Land_Cruiser-2014-1600-21.jpg
    Toyota-Land_Cruiser-2014-1600-21.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 19

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I just went through and reviewed some used land cruisers and lx 570. I chose to keep my 4runner.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
I just went through and reviewed some used land cruisers and lx 570. I chose to keep my 4runner.

After researching LC200 / LX570's for almost two months, my take away is

1) they are superb rigs in robustness and comfort.

2) I predict many are going to have serious rust problems. I learned the running gear / chassis paint sourced for the factory had some quality control issues. Looked at an LX570 that was purchased and lived far from the rust belt and it appeared that I could have put my fist through just about any part of the undercarriage I wanted - horrid. Some seem to be just fine, but three of the four I saw had not just bad rust, but very bad. So much so, I gave up the quest for this model.

I imagine this will only worsen with time and the reputation will be resale factor. If some future reader is seeing this post - make sure the underside hasn't been re-painted.

nickw

Adventurer
After researching LC200 / LX570's for almost two months, my take away is

1) they are superb rigs in robustness and comfort.

2) I predict many are going to have serious rust problems. I learned the running gear / chassis paint sourced for the factory had some quality control issues. Looked at an LX570 that was purchased and lived far from the rust belt and it appeared that I could have put my fist through just about any part of the undercarriage I wanted - horrid. Some seem to be just fine, but three of the four I saw had not just bad rust, but very bad. So much so, I gave up the quest for this model.

I imagine this will only worsen with time and the reputation will be resale factor. If some future reader is seeing this post - make sure the underside hasn't been re-painted.

Are they verified life outside of the rust belt? I can't imagine any newer rig having rust issues in an area that doesn't salt or de-ice. My understanding is that some of the non "sodium" de-icers can still cause bad corrosion.

I ask because I noticed here locally (in Oregon) where cruisers fetch big $, guys were buying at Auction from east coast and importing in to resell at a premium, likely from lease. I've been to NYC in winter, may as well park your car in the ocean. I'd was running several used Cruiser VIN's to see where they were registered, in several cases there had lived in rust belt or questionable areas. This includes GX460's too.

phsycle

Adventurer
Are they verified life outside of the rust belt? I can't imagine any newer rig having rust issues in an area that doesn't salt or de-ice. My understanding is that some of the non "sodium" de-icers can still cause bad corrosion.

I ask because I noticed here locally (in Oregon) where cruisers fetch big $, guys were buying at Auction from east coast and importing in to resell at a premium, likely from lease. I've been to NYC in winter, may as well park your car in the ocean. I'd was running several used Cruiser VIN's to see where they were registered, in several cases there had lived in rust belt or questionable areas. This includes GX460's too.

This is a common practice. In OR, CA, WA, AZ, etc. I've looked at used vehicles in these states and a large majority of them are from NY, NJ, MA, and other rust prone states. Be very careful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles