2017 4Runner Premium vs '08 Loaded Cruiser

gearguywb

Explorer
I have had both the 4Runner and several LC's. Two different vehicles. Like the price of the 4Runner but after some period of ownership the cheaper plastic, V-6, etc. just turned me off.

BTW, the 08 LC you had originally posted is here in KC. I saw some pics of the inside of the truck not long ago. Serious weird stains throughout the interior on the wood/etc.

chadwicksavage

Adventurer
You could always grab a primo 100 series!:coffeedrink:

I'm very interested in continuing the conversation in this vein. If you had to choose between a 100 series and a 5th gen, which would you choose and why? My local toyota dealer currently has a 16 5th gen for sale for 33k and a 100 series, maybe an 06, with 92k miles for 28k. How did the 5th gen improve on the 100 series or benefit from trickle down technology? How similar are the platforms?

gearguywb

Explorer
I'm very interested in continuing the conversation in this vein. If you had to choose between a 100 series and a 5th gen, which would you choose and why? My local toyota dealer currently has a 16 5th gen for sale for 33k and a 100 series, maybe an 06, with 92k miles for 28k. How did the 5th gen improve on the 100 series or benefit from trickle down technology? How similar are the platforms?

Love Toyotas, but this is a bit of apples and oranges.

chadwicksavage

Adventurer
Don’t get me wrong. Land cruisers are obviously better built.

But I’m not asking about the quality of the build but of the ease of use. Given the choice between a higher mileage 10 year old cruiser and a newer 5th gen, why would one choose either for North American travel? The occasional backcountry jaunt, 2-3 Long trips each year, daily driver.

While a 100 is a stellar vehicle, the 5th gen must benefit from some of the tech perfected in the 100. At the same time, travel in the US means you wouldn’t be digging around for cast off parts in a South American rural village, you’d be catching a tow to the nearest dealership. So the availability of parts isn’t much of an issue.

So what is the reason one would choose a 10 year old higher mileage vehicle over a newer one for the uses listed above? Something besides “because...Land cruiser”

collk22

Observer
Don't get me wrong. Land cruisers are obviously better built.

But I'm not asking about the quality of the build but of the ease of use. Given the choice between a higher mileage 10 year old cruiser and a newer 5th gen, why would one choose either for North American travel? The occasional backcountry jaunt, 2-3 Long trips each year, daily driver.

While a 100 is a stellar vehicle, the 5th gen must benefit from some of the tech perfected in the 100. At the same time, travel in the US means you wouldn't be digging around for cast off parts in a South American rural village, you'd be catching a tow to the nearest dealership. So the availability of parts isn't much of an issue.

So what is the reason one would choose a 10 year old higher mileage vehicle over a newer one for the uses listed above? Something besides “because...Land cruiser”

Comfort, size, fit and finish, need to tow.

Don't get me wrong. Land cruisers are obviously better built.

But I'm not asking about the quality of the build but of the ease of use. Given the choice between a higher mileage 10 year old cruiser and a newer 5th gen, why would one choose either for North American travel? The occasional backcountry jaunt, 2-3 Long trips each year, daily driver.

While a 100 is a stellar vehicle, the 5th gen must benefit from some of the tech perfected in the 100. At the same time, travel in the US means you wouldn't be digging around for cast off parts in a South American rural village, you'd be catching a tow to the nearest dealership. So the availability of parts isn't much of an issue.

Based on the uses you described, I would choose the LC because it is a much more comfortable ride, spacious, and has a V8 (especially if you were to add a lot of weight to it, this would be a big plus). Long trips in the LC are amazing.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Someone said it earlier. The 100 series is a $70,000 car new. The 4Runner is $40,000. There is a very good reason people pay the extra $30,000. Drive both and you'll get it.

xCSx

Adventurer
I am going through a similar debate. I want to grab a 3 year old 4Runner Trail with around 50K miles which is certified preowned and under $30K USD.

Unless you need to tow - then go with the LC..

Arktikos

Explorer
But I’m not asking about the quality of the build but of the ease of use. Given the choice between a higher mileage 10 year old cruiser and a newer 5th gen, why would one choose either for North American travel? The occasional backcountry jaunt, 2-3 Long trips each year, daily driver.

It's not clear to me what you mean by ease of use. Like, lack of issues cropping up, gas mileage, maneuvering in traffic?
Both are way more vehicle than you need for described use, IMO. I always say, test drive them to get some impressions to help inform your decision.

chadwicksavage

Adventurer
I meant how often will it be on the road/trail and not in the shop. How much can I trust it if my long trips are from the southeastern united states up to Montana and over to the PNW? That kind of thing.

windtraveler

Observer
LC

2 years ago I was in the market for a low mileage 4 runner or Tacoma (<50K miles). I stumbled across a 1999 LC with 100K miles. 1 Owner and very well cared for and significantly less $$$$ than the 4 runner or tacama with the same miles and condition. I was skeptical at first but it soon won me over. The LC is, hands down, the best vehicle I’ve ever driven, regardless of your intended use. . I like it so much I don’t even think about the poor gas mileage. A small price to pay for such an awesome vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles