2017-2018 Frontier - Smart alternator?

Colin Hughes

Explorer
Does the Frontier have a smart alternator? Looking at photos of the engine bay, it appears it doesn't. I'm considering getting one and will want to install my dual battery system. Just wondering if it will be simple or complicated :) Thanks!

llamalander

I have a Blue Sea ACR in an older (2008) Frontier. 2nd battery (and the starter) is also charged with solar, so not sure how long I need to drive to recharge, but they work well together. I'm not sure why Nissan would add a "smart" alternator if they didn't need one for the first 13 years of production. Lots of room under the truck to install an AGM off of the frame (sideways), a second battery can be fit next to the first if you move the washer fluid reservoir.

Colin Hughes

Explorer
I have a Blue Sea ACR in an older (2008) Frontier. 2nd battery (and the starter) is also charged with solar, so not sure how long I need to drive to recharge, but they work well together. I'm not sure why Nissan would add a "smart" alternator if they didn't need one for the first 13 years of production. Lots of room under the truck to install an AGM off of the frame (sideways), a second battery can be fit next to the first if you move the washer fluid reservoir.
Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94