2016 Regular Cab Silverado 4X4

moderndaynorseman

Went on a short trip saturday with a group. Ended up camping north of Red Deer river out on in the PLUZ zone.
IMG_5952-X3.jpg

IMG_5943-X3.jpg

Untitled_Panorama3-X3.jpg
IMG_5860-X3.jpg
IMG_5855-X3.jpg
Awesome pictures! I'm also in Alberta and was wondering which specific PLUZ those are from. I'm always on the lookout for new places to go explore.

Crazy Schooner

Fortune's A Mistress
Mazzulla front skid plate would look great. Love this and your last build. Instagram account?

I was looking at those plates but picked up these GM skids for a 1/3rd of the cost. Instagram: @crazyschooner

Awesome pictures! I'm also in Alberta and was wondering which specific PLUZ those are from. I'm always on the lookout for new places to go explore.
Thanks it's the Ghost PLUZ zone, just north of the red deer river off highway 40.

Crazy Schooner

Fortune's A Mistress
Went out camping pretty much every weeekend since I bought the tent. I was out visiting my father who was out at a campsite for a week. This tent works great in windy conditions but I really have to invest into an extension ladder for side entry. This ladder is too short.
IMG_5955-X3.jpg

I also need to buy an ND filter for my 35mm F2 IS lens. Getting tired of blown out highlights.
IMG_5976-X3.jpg

Crazy Schooner

Fortune's A Mistress
Sold the awning as it was a bit unreasonable to spend on that much on some basic cover. Plus I wanted to drop the tent and not bother with needing a ladder extension. With the new height, I can drop the tailgate and leave the ladder in place which is nice for general use. I left the awning brackets installed as I could use my front runner tie downs in the bolt holes and hang clothes/light etc. I also picked up a full set of gator back mudflaps as the stock plastic flaps are starting to get stress marks from bending back in the mud and rocks. They will eventually break off this winter once the slush starts piling on; plus the wheels I want to buy stick out more, so I will need more coverage in that regard. Just waiting on installing them so I can line them up properly.

IMG_6211-X3.jpg

IMG_6145c-X3.jpg

Last edited:

Crazy Schooner

Fortune's A Mistress
On that note, I also sold the Alu-cab RTT. I found it too expensive for what amounts to a basic canvas tent. Sure it was super nice to sleep in but finding small wear and tear items (rust showing on where the pistons connect, canvas wear in the parts where it covers the zippers etc.) was kinda a bummer for something so expensive. These didn't affect operation or anything but regardless I sold the tent while it was still relatively new. The guy buying it has some crazy plans for it and should enjoy it. I removed my bed rack and tossed it up for sale locally, hopefully it sells. I then relocated my Rigid scene light to the box for misc duties. I tossed some smoked lamin-x tint I had laying around to eliminate some of the glare as this light is a bit much.

I also want to go back to ground camping for a bit, so i'm on the search for an Oztent RV5. These are kinda hard to purchase in Canada; So I need to either find one in stock and drive 700kms+ down to the border or get lucky and score a used one around here.

I'm normally not a fan of tonneau covers as I find them too flimsy (cloth), unreliable (roll style) or too expensive/easily damaged (bakflip). Then I found out about Diamondback HD models and their 1600lb load rating. So when a used HD unit (with atv side rails) came onto the market locally, I jumped on it (no Canadian dealers). With this on the truck it'll be nice to have more security, and a snow buffer in the winter. Game plan is to mount a fridge inside on a slider, and not be too worried about theft.

If I can't find an oz-tent anytime soon and come across a killer (sub $1000) deal on a used (brand name) RTT, I'll mount it on top of the diamondback. My plan for that is to avoid drilling on the tonneau (even though it's perfectly fine to do so) and mount some front runner grab on feet to the atv side rails. I'll bolt on a couple load bars (with some PVC underneath to avoid sagging if needed) and use my older FR tent mounting brackets for the RTT to bolt onto the load bars. If the side rails don't hold, I'll get them remade out of a stronger material as they are just 1" tube with bolts running through to mount. So it'll be easy enough to do this if needed.

IMG_6262-X3.jpg
IMG_6342-X3.jpg
IMG_6309-X3.jpg

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Nice looking truck you have there Mr Schooner. I just checked out your thread for the first time and I am amazed as to the transformation of your truck in such a short time. I am also happy to see that you are not scared of getting that beast dirty. Good call on using BDS for your leveling kit. I have all BDS stuff on my rigs and have never regretted it. The best waranty in the bussiness and at a reasonable cost. I am looking forward to seeing what else you get up to. Thanks for posting those awesome pics and a cool write up. Cheers, Chilli...:cool:

Crazy Schooner

Fortune's A Mistress
I picked up a set of 18x9 Cragar S/S wheels for cheap. They were the offset I wanted to try running (+20mm) and due to them being pitted, I was decided to turn them into winter wheels. So I picked up a used set of 34x12.50R18 BF Goodrich KO2's. To my suprise they fit perfectly, so I'm going to stick with this offset for the time being. I'm not a fan of Cragars but meh I can live with these untill I buy new rims.

IMG_6467-X3.jpg

IMG_6468-X3.jpg

Last edited:

Crazy Schooner

Fortune's A Mistress
The plan I had to to mount some slotted crossbars on the diamondback tonneau didn't pan out. No one makes long enough crossbars, and I didn't want to jimmy rig some grab on feet to a long metal bar just to mount a tent. I could have bought some element crossbars but I didn't want to drill into the tonneau. Plus $500 for those, $450 for a diamondback toolbox, $1000+ for an RTT for a setup I might not even like, I just traded it off for this canopy. One annoying thing about the tonneau I observed while I owned it is you can't stack four tires in the box. The tonneau is too low to stack them on top of each other (two high) and if you raise the rear flap, the gap is too short for have four (33") tires sitting up next to each other. So you have to stack them on top, and fiddle with multiple straps just for a quick rip to the tire store.

I don't know if I'll keep it. Side profile isn't perfect and I don't know if it'll lock properly due to rear taillight design but i'll fiddle around with the brackets and move them around. It's a really nice leer model however, carpeted, rear led light, crank out windows/bug screen, leer locker box. Just sucks it's for an 07-13 truck. I'm probably going to have to put in a gasket up front to keep water out. I'll keep it for awhile, till I get a nice enough offer on it, or I can trade it for something fun.

IMG_6519-X3.jpg
IMG_6521-X3.jpg

32vsnake

Adventurer
Interesting... I put one in my cart and there didn’t appear to be any issues shipping to my BC address. Got right to the point of payment and backed out

I wasn’t %100 convncied by the oz tent so I didn’t complete the transaction

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94