2016 Regular Cab Silverado 4X4

Crazy Schooner

Fortune's A Mistress
Figured I'd start a build thread on this truck. Nothing crazy in the works. Keep in mind i'm copy pasting from another site where I posted stuff from the day I bought the truck (early feb/18) to today (late may/18). So the descriptions may seem a bit weird. I'll be time stamping each one.

Chevrolet Silverado
Regular cab, short box
4x4 (floor shifter)
Blacked out edition
5.3L V8, 6L80 transmission

The truck had just the right amount of options. PL/PW, AC. Power/Heated side mirrors, UQ3 audio with android auto. Plus a backup camera with no annoying sensors. The truck didn't come with an OEM remote start, but had the RPO code to get it activated. So I had the dealership add it on (it's awesome to start the truck with key fobs and onstar app from my phone). 3.42 gears, 9.5" rear end (12 bolt), and open diff. I want to add an electric locker and regear down the road, so that worked for me at the time. Only I found out later i'm out of options for an electic locker. So if I feel like it, tru trac but right now I'm annoyed by the lack of options.

Also the truck doesn't have fog lights, but I'm fine with that as I want to cut the front bumper and gain some cheap easy clearance down the road.

First day home. I had the truck four hours, and after I took this picture I removed the lower valance lip
IMG_4865s-X3.jpg

Last edited:

Crazy Schooner

Fortune's A Mistress
Feb 2018

Within a week, I had a BDS 2" leveling kit installed, and changed out the garbage Wrangler SRA tires to a set of studded Duratrac tires. The truck had a 3" rack from the factory and was running 275/55R20 tires. Now it just has enough rake to not squat when carrying gear, and it's running 285/60R20 tires.

Also the factory bed liner was pretty thin, and the previous owner did a number on it. The dealership resprayed it for free, which was awesome as I just wanted it patched in spots. I also picked up a lund hood deflector but when I took it home I saw it was the tape on version and not the bolt on version. So I put off installing it right away. I got the truck street tuned through HPtuners the following weekend for some better throttle response and fuel economy.

BDS%20Level%20Installed-X3.jpg

Truck got around 15.9L/100 kms on it's last highway jaunt before the tune
IMG_4887-X3.jpg

When I had the truck dialed in, the speedo was adjusted, governer removed, and all that other good stuff was changed. Cruise on a short highway run around the city was showing 11-13L/100kms.

Last edited:

Crazy Schooner

Fortune's A Mistress
Late feb/beginning of march

I installed the Lund hood protector and decided to take another shot for 'build record' sake.
Lund%20install-X3.jpg

Not long after I took the rest of the plastic off the bumper to raise the front end clearance. At this point I still needed to do some minor trimming around that area to clean everything up. I also picked up some crossbars from a local fabricator for a hardshell RTT I was planning on running.

IMG_4948-X3.jpg

IMG_4949-X3.jpg

Last edited:

Crazy Schooner

Fortune's A Mistress
middle of march

Went on a road trip and picked up the tent.
IMG_4990-X3.jpg

IMG_5020-X3.jpg

I originally mounted it offsided, but a few days later I centered it
IMG_5050-X3.jpg

This shot was before I flipped the tent around for better flow and to put the power connector will be closer to the cab.
IMG_5043-X3.jpg

and one more random shot from the first day I got home.
IMG_5016-X3.jpg

Last edited:

Crazy Schooner

Fortune's A Mistress
Shots from late march

IMG_5055-X3.jpg

IMG_5096-X3.jpg

IMG_5149-X3.jpg

IMG_5187-X3.jpg

IMG_5211-X3.jpg

Mid April

I ditched the white hardshell tent a month later due to some issues with it. Ended up randomly coming across an alu-cab shadow awning up here in Alberta. So I bought it, and sold the crossbars. They mounted too low to mount the awning.

IMG_5280-X3.jpg

So I had an aluminum rack built to mount the awning.
IMG_5338-X3.jpg

IMG_5330-X3.jpg

Last edited:

Crazy Schooner

Fortune's A Mistress
Beginning of May

I wasn't planning on buying another tent right away (especially after the shadow awning purchase) but a ******** ton of old truck stuff I didn't think would sell ended up selling. All within a month of buying that awning. Go figure eh. So I picked up a treeline outdoors aspen tent. The awning mounts were put in a spot that pushed the tent off center. I ran it like this for about 9 days due to going on a camping trip.

A7-X3.jpg

IMG_5420-X3.jpg

The awning wouldn't open properly mounted like this, so I had the brackets cut off and new ones mounts farther out.
IMG_5502-X3.jpg

IMG_5520-X3.jpg

Everything works great together now.
IMG_5521-X3.jpg

IMG_5575-X3.jpg

Last edited:

Crazy Schooner

Fortune's A Mistress
Late may

I also removed the one piece plastic splash guard GM calls a skid plates and replaced it with an OEM two piece aluminum kit (that also includes a weird transfer case skid plate).
IMG_5608-X3.jpg

I replaced all nine of plastic bed covers with some bullring tie down points.
IMG_5647-X3.jpg

Wired in the sPOD. I bolted it to one of the bars in the engine bay. This one is really handy as it automatically sets itself for whatever you have wired into it. My old one had a fuse bank, this one has no need for it.
IMG_5655-X3.jpg

I mounted the touchscreen on the floor shifter casing. Which is nice since it's not blocking my view, and it's out of the way.
IMG_5652-X3.jpg

The rigid industries 2x2 scene light bolts right up to this brace
IMG_5651-X3.jpg

Perfect spread for camp use or a work/reverse light etc.
IMG_5614-X3.jpg

Last edited:

VroomSIX

Very interesting setup. I like the choice of single cab with short bed. The short wheelbase makes all the difference.

rkj__

Adventurer
Regular cab short beds always catch my attention when they drive by. I think they have a really nice, balanced look.

It took me a few minutes to get used to the dismantled front end. I can certainly see why you've done it. You've dramatically improved the approach angle, without a huge lift.

Anyway, enjoy the truck, and happy camping.

rkj__

Adventurer
Nice pictures. It looks like you gave the truck a workout. If I know you, this trip probably helped confirm or revise a list of future mods.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles