2016 GXV 6x6 FMTV 29’ w/ Gear Garage

GXV_6x6

Update for August 15, 2021: We're out of the shop now and it's available for show in Reno until September 1st. After that I'll be a moving target, traveling E/NE.
☑️ New brake drums, chambers, spiders
☑️ New windshield and seal
☑️ CTIS system overhaul: new ECU, all air leaks fixed, Highway mode programmed for 85 psi
☑️ New cab air ride springs (Midwest Equipment model) + bushings
☑️ New Caterpillar turbo
☑️ Air compressor rebuild + new governor and hoses
☑️ New air dryer cartridge
☑️ New front brake air lines

After 25,000 miles of travel and scenic full time living, my very special XV is for sale! This is the GXV best known as Two If Overland. I bought it in mid-2018 and have lived in it solo for most of the time since. During that time I’ve criss-crossed the country, usually staying on BLM or USFS land, sometimes national parks, and less often in campgrounds. With a >1,500 mile range, huge fuel/water tanks, solar, lithium, integrated generator, diesel cooktop & heat - its native environment is off grid. It also cruises comfortably on the interstate. Currently parked in Reno, NV and available for showing!

71 photos - https://photos.app.goo.gl/NXCFmGKwWxFe4Khm7

DSC_5671-crop.jpgDSC7410.jpg_DSC9739.jpg_DSC9744.jpgIMG_2365.jpg_DSC0233.jpg

$385,000
  • 2001 BAE M1083 6x6 FMTV cargo platform
  • 29’ total length, 8.5’ width, 13.5’ height
  • Caterpillar 3126B with 65,000 miles
  • 7-speed Allison automatic transmission
  • 70 mph axle mod, 8 mpg highway
  • Cruise control
  • Dual-caliper wedge air brakes
  • Pacbrake exhaust brake
  • 16.5’ living space, 4.5’ gear garage
  • Gear garage: 92”w x 79”h x 54”d
  • 240 gallons fuel: 3x fuel tanks with transfer pumps
  • 120 gallons water
  • New 400ah Battle Born lithium house batteries installed March 2020
  • 600 watts roof solar with plenty of room to add more on the roof (see photos)
  • New (late 2019) Fox shocks in the front from Grigsby Trucks
  • New (late 2019) Monroe shocks on 2nd and 3rd axles
  • New (6) Goodyear MVT 385/95/R20 tires DOT 2017
  • New (2) unused Advance GL073A spares. One is mounted on a wheel
  • Hutchinson military run flats on front and rear axles
  • Armor Vision windows
  • Air ride cab seats
  • Cab power locks installed early 2019
  • Queen bed plus high/low table converts to extra bed
  • Wet bath with Thetford cassette toilet
  • Vitrifrigo refrigerator & freezer
  • Washer/dryer combo unit: Splendide 2100XC
  • Dometic 16,000 BTU air conditioner
  • Kubota 3.6 kW diesel generator w/ fuel line feed from primary tank
  • Webasto X100 diesel cooktop replaced mid-2019
  • Webasto T90 diesel hydronic cabin heat
    • Also pre-heats engine from cabin switch
  • LED headlights and 50” light bar
  • Remanufactured Niehoff dual-voltage alternator installed mid-2019
  • Cab sound dampening
  • 3M Crystalline applied to windshield and cab side windows for UV block
  • Kenwood cab stereo w/ Bluetooth installed Feb 2019
  • Backup and side view cameras
  • Dash cam: BlackVue DR750S
  • Garmin RV-770 LMT-S navigation unit
  • Spare parts and tools included:
    • Extra house water pump (new)
    • Extra Sanden AC compressor (new)
    • Sockets for wheel lugs

Maintenance details
  • Oil and filters change every 5,000 miles - important to protect HEUI system
  • HEUI pump replaced in 2016 for initial GXV build
  • Exhaust leak recently repaired w/ new Caterpillar gaskets and bolts
  • New drag link and tie rod ends installed Nov 2019
  • Added coolant bypass for cab heater core to fix an A/C issue. The temperature control is not closing a valve inside the dash
  • CTIS ECU does not work and I never used it. Tires need to be 95psi for road use while the highway setting on the CTIS system is 70 psi. If you must have it I recommend to source the new ECU, take it to Grigsby Trucks and have them program the highway pressure to above the default of 70 psi so that it’s useful for airing down and up. The on board air compressor works great as-is for airing up
  • W/D makes a clicking noise during the wash cycle (but not the dry cycle)
  • Windshield should eventually be replaced due to a 3” crack (see photos). Over the past year the crack hasn’t run any further in freezing temps and desert sun, fwiw
  • I warped a couple of the fuel tanks after forgetting to turn the transfer pump off. They are still fully functional
  • Bathroom recaulked April 2020

Last edited:

Keyne

Adventurer
Bump for a cool truck and nice ad. Thanks for all the detailed pics. Its cool to see the details put into a GXV build. GLWS

supermoo

Observer
Amazing truck and have seen the videos from the previous couple. We are looking for a GXV and have considered the 6x6 - as you have driven it for so many miles, how would you compare it to the 4x4 and would you still go with teh 6x6 if you had a choice? Interested in your truck just curious on your feedback.

GXV_6x6

Thanks for your interest!

The primary reason the 6x6 cargo platform exists is for the extra weight capacity: 2.5-ton payload on the 4x4 vs 5-ton payload for the 6x6. With my truck you could load the garage with 1,000 gallons of water (not that you would) and it wouldn't flinch. It has major headroom when it comes to payload. You would basically never be limited by weight capacity issues.

There is another benefit that doesn't matter too much in the military but actually ended up helping me: at highway speed the longer wheelbase and extra axle is more stable and provides a redundancy. At speed, if a rear tire were to bust, it's definitely more stable while you slow down and pull over. And guess what, that happened to me last year! It was my fault for driving on old tires (which have all been replaced with the new Goodyears). I will never know what it would have been like to lose that rear tire on a 4x4 at 55mph (actual speed when it happened), and I don't want to know ? With the extra axle supporting the back end, I had all day long to pull over and by that I mean there was 20 seconds to do a nice controlled slow down without swerving. I had the Hutchinson run flats installed on the front/rear wheels for the same reason - if a tire goes at speed, the truck won't drop as far down to the ground in the process. With the run flat you can drive a bit further with the flat, but I'm mainly interested in how they help maintain control of the vehicle in the worst case scenario in traffic. When you're off road this isn't as much of an issue. But the gears have been re-ratioed for up to 70mph and you're going to be on the interstate or highway with everyone else a lot of the time.

The tow capacity is 10 tons (6x6) vs 5 tons (4x4). There are some minor benefits like if you're going to be in sand all the time, the 6x6 might be better there. It all comes down to how you will be using it.

Last edited:

Unimug

I will use your rig for camping with my grandchildren--5 or 6 at a time. So I need 6-7 seats with belts and sleeps for 6-7. These do not exist at present I am sure. My question is: How many belted seats and sleeps do you have now? Also,
1). Do you conceive of a way to add belted seats (behind the driver? in the dinette)? 2). Do you see a way to add beds (bunks? fold-up? sofa-bed? in cab?)? Many thanks.

GXV_6x6

I will use your rig for camping with my grandchildren--5 or 6 at a time. So I need 6-7 seats with belts and sleeps for 6-7. These do not exist at present I am sure. My question is: How many belted seats and sleeps do you have now? Also,
1). Do you conceive of a way to add belted seats (behind the driver? in the dinette)? 2). Do you see a way to add beds (bunks? fold-up? sofa-bed? in cab?)? Many thanks.

That sounds like an ambitious project to me. This truck is best for 1-3 people, in my opinion. You might want to check out something with a crew cab like the 2011 International for sale here: https://www.globalxvehicles.com/globalxvehicles-for-sale.html

GXV_6x6

Apparently people think these trucks appreciate?
It’s worth every penny of $345k to me :) If you got the impression that this is a distressed sale, that would be incorrect. Implication that my acquisition and upgrades cost is less than $345k is also incorrect.

I’m a happy owner. In fact I’m scheduling maintenance and upgrades (Update - this is underway) and will consider another trip. But there is an unrelated investment I would make in the next few months if there's an appropriate buyer out there. A good XV is a world of possibilities. My own state of Nevada is something like 60% park, forest, wildlife, and BLM land. I'd like to go back to Alaska with it and visit the original owners, who are excellent and inspiring people. Can’t stress enough how much fun it is to own.

Happy to discuss any more questions you have, Zybane.

P.S. Here's a 4K time lapse I recorded in Yukon

Last edited:

adaml

Honest question ... How do you guys afford these things? I presume they're being financed but how?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior