2016 G-wagen models

haven

Expedition Leader
Mercedes has released final details about the G-Class for 2016. From the press release:

"The venerable G-Class family is further enhanced for MY2016 and arrives at U.S. dealers in November.

The G550 is priced at $119,900* and features restyled bumpers, enlarged wheel arches, and larger standard 19" 5-spoke wheels. It also features an updated instrument cluster and a brand-new and more fuel-efficient 4.0 V8 engine, derived from the AMG GT S and AMG C63 and rated at 416 hp (+34 hp) and 450 lb-ft (+59 lb-ft).

The AMG G63 currently accounts for over half of all G-Class sales in the USA. Priced at $139,900,* its engine output is increased to 563 hp (+27 hp) and maintains its powerful 560 lb-ft of torque since going on sale in Fall 2012.

The AMG G65 is added to the U.S. portfolio after being available to discerning customers in Europe, Asia, and the Middle East since 2012. Priced at $217,900,* it joins the SL65 and the S65 sedan and coupe in an exclusive price range and features a powerful 12-cylinder biturbo engine with 621 hp and 738 lb-ft of torque."

The press release shows Mercedes will offer 6 SUV classes in 2016: GLA, GLC, GLE, GLE Coupe, G, and GL. No word about the G500 4×4² with portal axles for USA.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/08/04/2016-mercedes-gle-coupe-price-66025/

tarditi

Explorer
Nice, but like most enthusiasts, I wish they would offer it in a less luxo-cruiser trim and more of a get-real-things-done trim.

swb

Observer
They make them, with hose-out floors, manual windows and a big load space due to much less trim (the trim does not need to cover lots of the control gear the the luxury models have)
They are called "G-Class Professional" and Mercedes wont sell them in many markets because they dont want to polute their luxury status, which they can charge a premium for, with a "commercial" variant. (like brandng Sprinter vans as Dodge)

I think its a missed opportunity although the basic Professional would still be crazy expensive for what it is.

http://www.mercedes-benz.co.za/cont...3_crosscountry/facts_/gclassprofessional.html

swb

Observer
In think they are available as special order, particularly fleet orders. We have a heap of new civilian fire tender cab-chassis models and a outback tour company got a few, including a 6x6 (non portal)
MB Australia are rumoured to be making them available to the public next year, for the first time.
But we have always had the G350 so are more diesel-friendly than USA anyway.

zimm

Expedition Leader
They make them, with hose-out floors, manual windows and a big load space due to much less trim (the trim does not need to cover lots of the control gear the the luxury models have)
They are called "G-Class Professional" and Mercedes wont sell them in many markets because they dont want to polute their luxury status, which they can charge a premium for, with a "commercial" variant. (like brandng Sprinter vans as Dodge)

I think its a missed opportunity although the basic Professional would still be crazy expensive for what it is.

http://www.mercedes-benz.co.za/cont...3_crosscountry/facts_/gclassprofessional.html

i actually dont think thats the case. everyone that travels has seen the star on crappy airport limo vans. i think it has to do with the expense of crash testing and the lack of market in the US for a commercial truck like this. i cant think of a single reason to buy a commercial grade G over the domestic options that cost 1/2, and neither can the market guys in MB, apparently. making big bucks as a car company has as much to do with eliminating losers, as it does with selling winners.

swb

Observer
And every market is different and a G-Pro, if marketed and priced competitively (like the 60+ military contracts) in other market could displace the Toyota 70-series and fill the Defender void for commercial use (also not marketed into USA but they are in use in many other countries as commercial vehicles) The same commercial varients are the vehicles of choice with adventurers who want to be able to rely on their vehicle in very remote locations. Sure, the vehicles were not designed for adventure they were designed to be workhorses, with features that make them appealing to those who do the type of trips this forum is all about. Would you take a G63 to a very remote location with no dealer support for long periods of time? A location where just about every other machine around you is running diesel?
As you say, this is not something the USA market needs or wants. Where bling and status is more important then the few who want and need a 4wd to go offroad. Also USA is quite unique in that work vehicles tend to be larger than those used outside USA/Canada. Not many F-250's in Europe, Asia or Australia - smaller vehicles, G-sized vehicles (perhaps as pickups or vans) are used for similar roles.

There are lots of cashed up people who want to experience remote touring and the market is growing. Just look at some of the money invested in the various vehicles on this forum, right up to large trucks. There is an outback touring company in Australia going up and down the Canning Stock Route charging $10k for 2 weeks. The vehicle of choice? G-wagens (W461) Possibly the hardest working G-wagons in the world today. But 99% of the others are using Toyota 70-series (along with farmers, builders, miners, utilities and offroad enthusiasts) And lots of people would buy a G-Pro (at it price premium) but never a W463.

But as you say, not a profitable market for a G-Pro in the USA, where the W463 is de rigueur.

Last edited:

merctaf

Mercedes has released final details about the G-Class for 2016. From the press release:

"The venerable G-Class family is further enhanced for MY2016 and arrives at U.S. dealers in November.

The G550 is priced at $119,900* and features restyled bumpers, enlarged wheel arches, and larger standard 19" 5-spoke wheels. It also features an updated instrument cluster and a brand-new and more fuel-efficient 4.0 V8 engine, derived from the AMG GT S and AMG C63 and rated at 416 hp (+34 hp) and 450 lb-ft (+59 lb-ft).

The AMG G63 currently accounts for over half of all G-Class sales in the USA. Priced at $139,900,* its engine output is increased to 563 hp (+27 hp) and maintains its powerful 560 lb-ft of torque since going on sale in Fall 2012.

The AMG G65 is added to the U.S. portfolio after being available to discerning customers in Europe, Asia, and the Middle East since 2012. Priced at $217,900,* it joins the SL65 and the S65 sedan and coupe in an exclusive price range and features a powerful 12-cylinder biturbo engine with 621 hp and 738 lb-ft of torque."

The press release shows Mercedes will offer 6 SUV classes in 2016: GLA, GLC, GLE, GLE Coupe, G, and GL. No word about the G500 4×4² with portal axles for USA.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/08/04/2016-mercedes-gle-coupe-price-66025/

Does anyone know when the 2016 W463 models will be available. BTW, I saw a G500 4x42 the other day in Beverly Hills. It was the neon yellow/green one. Not a good color in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles