2016 F150 Software Issues

TantoTrailers

Hey guys, does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade the software on the F150 at home (Not the SYNC software)? I have a 2016 3.5EB and I have been having weird issues since I bought it brand new. I chalked up the minor nuances to character of the truck and didnt think much of it because those things were really not too important to me, however, recently I have run into some issues that affect the use of my truck.

#1) my 7 pin connector doesnt always charge my trailer battery. Doing some research it seems like 90% of the posts online were resolved with a software update (Im going to install a new 7 pin connector to see if its just that simple)
#2) my transmission shifting is weird when towing at times, I had my fluids serviced per the manual/dealership so all good there, it drives fine, just doesnt want to shift up or down sometimes in the mtns...and I do let off the gas and all that. My most recent trip it literally wouldnt go faster than 30mph and I was flooring it to see if it would change...like the computer wasnt registering the pedal press
#3) windows randomly go down when I am trying to put them up (as if the auto down button was triggered)
#4) Sync radio/display sometimes freezes up and is unresponsive, sometimes completely black
#5) One time...my fuel was showing E after a fill up, shutting off the truck and turning it back on fixed the issue

#1 & #2 are the ones that affect my use and are relatively new...but they also have not been fully used till recently so this may have always been an underlying issue.
the rest have been going on since I bought it with 4 miles on the ODO.

Any ideas?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Theoretically the owner can flash software, it's a laptop, the interface and software. At least with Tacomas I know its possible and there's aftermarket engine management firmware that people put on. Personally I'd tread carefully and use a junk yard ECU as a tester. In your case since you just want bugs fixed, though, have you asked Ford? There may be firmware already and letting the dealer shift responsibility to him if the update bricks your truck. The updates could be for any of the several controllers in the truck, too.

It could be a CAN bus problem. There are many possible causes. For example, I removed the standard bed from my 2017 F350. I had to purchase a special wiring harness that plugs in at the rear of the truck. Without it, the CAN bus was not terminated properly, and it caused several problems. My windows would go up or down randomly, windshield wiper problems, and a couple of other interesting things I can't recall. There was actually a TSB regarding the issue. Plugged the cable in, and it (and my $75) all went away.

Non-technical explanation... Everything is run by a computers, connected by several CAN bus networks. When improperly "terminated" (missing a resistor on either end of the network), noise, signal reflections, etc., garble the data packets, and it's starts doing weird things. It doesn't have to be caused by improper termination either. It could be a poor connection, damaged wire, or bad grounding. Or, a malfunctioning computer module.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles