2016 Colorado Diesel

Clutch

<---Pass
Theres a lot of small thing on the F150 that make it "bigger" though. The cab is way bigger, so you need more lift for the same ground clearance as the Taco. The front and rear overhangs are a lot lower, and the body is generally more "square," and also a bit wider making it feel bigger on the trail. Things like the angle of the side of the cab sloping in on the top and bottom of the Taco make it "smaller" off road.

Not that big of a deal out west, but in the Northeast anything bigger than the current gen Taco will make me uncomfortable on some trails.

Ah yes, the trail argument. Dunno, you can say that with anything...trails I like to go on, you can't even take an ATV down them. Truck is used mainly for hauling gear and toys to the trails head. F150 is bigger in all the right places.

I used to live in PA, wheeled a F250 and a 4Runner...put the F250 everywhere the 4Runner went.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Wow. I just visited the GMC site... Base for a CCLB 4x4 is $36k. I spec'd out a fairly low option truck at $38k. Add $3-4k for a diesel and it's $42k. (The website tells me to see a dealer for a quote as soon as I check engine brake...)

While 30mpg sounds great, (for it's size, I'd bet 25 or 27 is more realistic... It's a pretty big truck...) I'm getting 20 with my '06 duramax. With it getting even 10 more mpg, it's still WAY cheaper for me to just pay for a little more fuel. Even if my truck needs something expensive, like head gaskets or a trans rebuild, I'm easily ahead by the end of that year, since I have no payment.

I was into the idea of a little diesel Canyon/Colorado for the wife. (To replace her Liberty CRD that we just sold.) But that was when I thought they were bringing in the world version, which is a great little truck. Instead, they they made a new NA truck that's based more on the Silverado than the world Colorado, and they filled it with crap we don't need or want (touch screen radio BS??) and gave it puffed up looks and a hood I can't see over. They can keep it.

The more I look around, the more I really think I'm keeping my '06 2500 duramax forever, and the wife will be fine driving the comanche or the TJ. If I still lived in the rust belt, I know that wouldn't be possible, but I don't, so there's no need to replace my truck every 10 years... Wish I didn't have to wait another 22 years to import a world version, but by then, the Comanche will be ready to retire, and a world truck just might be possible... :)

C

Last edited:

Jason911

Adventurer
Wow. I just visited the GMC site... Base for a CCLB 4x4 is $36k. I spec'd out a fairly low option truck at $38k. Add $3-4k for a diesel and it's $42k. (The website tells me to see a dealer for a quote as soon as I check engine brake...)
C

The exact price of the engine is just a few posts up - and it's not $4k for the engine.

Carprices.com is a fantastic website that will tell you what every option costs invoice/msrp, as well as give you the exact product ordering code. Prices are shown for almost every manufacturer.

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
While I like the idea of a mid-sized truck with a diesel...square wheel openings and the high price for the diesel are non-starters. Then you add the mods to make it ready for off roading and you're around $50k. For a mid-size truck.

The Gen2 Raptor will be about $50k. Ready to go off the showroom floor.

XJLI

Adventurer
Ah yes, the trail argument. Dunno, you can say that with anything...trails I like to go on, you can't even take an ATV down them. Truck is used mainly for hauling gear and toys to the trails head. F150 is bigger in all the right places.

I used to live in PA, wheeled a F250 and a 4Runner...put the F250 everywhere the 4Runner went.

Yea, but was it a brand new F250 you just spent 40 grand on? I don't mind pin striping the truck, but small and mid size everything keep getting bigger and bigger. It's difficult to imagine keeping one in between trees. And to echo all the other comments in here, it doesn't seem like you're getting your money's worth. For the price of a new Z71 V6 Colorado I can pick new 1500 Dodge Hemi... It's bigger (don't want) but it also has more power, gets close to the same fuel mileage, can tow more, etc.

Clutch

<---Pass
Yea, but was it a brand new F250 you just spent 40 grand on? I don't mind pin striping the truck, but small and mid size everything keep getting bigger and bigger. It's difficult to imagine keeping one in between trees. And to echo all the other comments in here, it doesn't seem like you're getting your money's worth. For the price of a new Z71 V6 Colorado I can pick new 1500 Dodge Hemi... It's bigger (don't want) but it also has more power, gets close to the same fuel mileage, can tow more, etc.

That was a retired work truck, that we restored, kept it fairly nice. Weren't afraid to use it though.

Yeah, I don't think the price of the diesel mid-size is worth it. Have spend an awful lot of money to save a little at the pump. Ram did it right by offering the diesel in the base model, you can pick up an EcoDiesel Tradesman Quad Cab 4WD model for $32K here, the Hemi goes for $28K.

Last edited:

superbuickguy

Explorer
While I like the idea of a mid-sized truck with a diesel...square wheel openings and the high price for the diesel are non-starters. Then you add the mods to make it ready for off roading and you're around $50k. For a mid-size truck.

The Gen2 Raptor will be about $50k. Ready to go off the showroom floor.

I think the wheel openings on the colorado/canyon twins is an opportunity. I've looked pretty closely at those trucks and think that, rather then an expensive lift, you could easily run 33s if not 35s by simply opening up the wheel wells. To the mud guys in the South, that'd be a non-starter, but to me (in the PNW), low with lots of clearance is just what the doctor ordered. Best of all, without screwing with the suspension, getting warranty claims handled will be a no-brainer (just keep the old tires for trips for service/warranty).

The trucks aren't 50k, the fully loaded, 4 door diesel is 40k... and 10k is a lot of (Tillamook) cheese.

And finally, in today's day and age - who doesn't own multiple cars? In my family I have my SAR rigs (one each for my wife and I), our long distance driver (hack) a TDI Jetta, 2009 (yeah, that was a bright buy by me).... I also have a flexy FJ40 and a pickup for hauling crap. I might even add a dump truck for dump runs and farm maintenance.... the point is, outside of the DD - why do you need one-vehicle-to-rule-them-all? it simply doesn't make sense to spend 50k on something that's going to haul gravel, dumped into it by my clutzy self. I hate beat up cars, but I hate beating up new cars even more. Even less sense when you understand that a full-size, 4 seating pickup simply is impossible to use for my DD stuff - I still think the Colorado, though, is a full size truck and can't wait to line it up next to my old box-style Chevy truck... I honestly think they're the same size.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
TFL posted a new video on the diesel Canyon seems their short tour from NY to out of town was doing 28mpg and they saw 31mpg once out of town. I like the size if I lived in an area where parking wasn't an issue all the time full sized options would no doubt be better. But the size does make a difference. We dumped a Suburban we had in the family because the Sequoia was just a tad smaller and far easier to live with around town dealing with parking etc. Yes it makes a difference. But with smaller you also get smaller payload and interior space etc. If a top trim H6 Subaru is pushing nearly 40K by the time you walk out the door after taxes and such its not a stretch to see why the Diesel Canyon would be up there in price too. Ford isn't exactly cheap either they keep their prices pretty high on their trucks and cars these days, I just bought a 2016 Ford and it wasn't exactly the cheapest option out there.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
TFL posted a new video on the diesel Canyon seems their short tour from NY to out of town was doing 28mpg and they saw 31mpg once out of town. I like the size if I lived in an area where parking wasn't an issue all the time full sized options would no doubt be better. But the size does make a difference. We dumped a Suburban we had in the family because the Sequoia was just a tad smaller and far easier to live with around town dealing with parking etc. Yes it makes a difference. But with smaller you also get smaller payload and interior space etc. If a top trim H6 Subaru is pushing nearly 40K by the time you walk out the door after taxes and such its not a stretch to see why the Diesel Canyon would be up there in price too. Ford isn't exactly cheap either they keep their prices pretty high on their trucks and cars these days, I just bought a 2016 Ford and it wasn't exactly the cheapest option out there.
I saw a 3/4ton super duty on display at the fair last week. Sticker price 71k, with no dealer add-ons.

straps57

Observer

Why stop at a 1/2 ton? For the same price you can get a 3/4 ton.

mccustomize

Explorer
Why stop at a 1/2 ton? For the same price you can get a 3/4 ton.

Then go ahead and buy him one, if it's your money buy what you want, if it's his money, let him buy what he wants.

and comparing a base model 3/4 ton gas worktruck to a nicely optioned 1/2 ton is comparing apples to oranges. Compare with very similar equipped options and see what it runs, the 3/4 ton will always be more $$$

I think the small diesel trucks are a very viable alternative for people who own a home, need a truck for the occasional home depot/kayak/camping runs but don't want a gas truck that gets 16mpg at best and don't want to spend $55k on a nicely optioned truck.

Bottom line is everyone has different needs/wants in a vehicle and they will ultimately buy what fits them. I have a friend that swears up and down about his V10 3/4 ton ford, I swear by my 5.3 Silverado, it's mostly a matter of opinion and that is what it all boils down to. I like my truck, he likes his, I own mine, he owns his, he pays his bills, I pay mine, see how that works?

e.

And finally, in today's day and age - who doesn't own multiple cars? In my family I have my SAR rigs (one each for my wife and I), our long distance driver (hack) a TDI Jetta, 2009 (yeah, that was a bright buy by me).... I also have a flexy FJ40 and a pickup for hauling crap. I might even add a dump truck for dump runs and farm maintenance.... the point is, outside of the DD - why do you need one-vehicle-to-rule-them-all? it simply doesn't make sense to spend 50k on something that's going to haul gravel, dumped into it by my clutzy self. I hate beat up cars, but I hate beating up new cars even more. Even less sense when you understand that a full-size, 4 seating pickup simply is impossible to use for my DD stuff - I still think the Colorado, though, is a full size truck and can't wait to line it up next to my old box-style Chevy truck... I honestly think they're the same size.

People who are not as well off as you? I know plenty of people who only have one car for their family.

straps57

Observer
Then go ahead and buy him one, if it's your money buy what you want, if it's his money, let him buy what he wants.

and comparing a base model 3/4 ton gas worktruck to a nicely optioned 1/2 ton is comparing apples to oranges. Compare with very similar equipped options and see what it runs, the 3/4 ton will always be more $$$

I think the small diesel trucks are a very viable alternative for people who own a home, need a truck for the occasional home depot/kayak/camping runs but don't want a gas truck that gets 16mpg at best and don't want to spend $55k on a nicely optioned truck.

Bottom line is everyone has different needs/wants in a vehicle and they will ultimately buy what fits them. I have a friend that swears up and down about his V10 3/4 ton ford, I swear by my 5.3 Silverado, it's mostly a matter of opinion and that is what it all boils down to. I like my truck, he likes his, I own mine, he owns his, he pays his bills, I pay mine, see how that works?

You're making my point for me. The arguments most used against Tacoma, Colorado and Canyons are always bigger is better for the same price. This is not some base model no options truck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ram-2500-BI...tr=true&hash=item2809bf1f96&item=171962212246

mccustomize

Explorer
You're making my point for me. The arguments most used against Tacoma, Colorado and Canyons are always bigger is better for the same price. This is not some base model no options truck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ram-2500-BI...tr=true&hash=item2809bf1f96&item=171962212246

It's cloth interior, gas, 3/4 ton, it is by no means optioned out. That is a base model truck in my neck of the woods, everyone around here is pushing longhorn editions, king ranch, high countrys, etc...

So when I say compare apples to apples, you are still comparing apples to oranges. You can by a gas 1/2 ton with those options that truck has for $30k around here.

Here you go: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Silverado-1500-LT-/252121820145?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3ab3a1abf1&item=252121820145

I am saying the Colorado is a viable, more fuel efficient alternative to the people who buy Tacomas, frontiers, and like small pickups. I am also saying Tacomas are stupid overpriced for the archaic interiors and lackluster options, they get terrible fuel mileage but are tough as nails.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles