2016 Colorado Diesel

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I watched a review of the Cummins equipped Frontier. Nissan let Cummins do the engine installation. I don't remember the configuration but can say that the reviewer had an ear to ear grin. The engine noise was minimal and the response was super impressive. Bring it on.
I'm anxious for the release of the 5.0 Cummins equipped Titan.
Hopefully,one will be showing at the San Diego Auto Show.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I watched a review of the Cummins equipped Frontier. Nissan let Cummins do the engine installation. I don't remember the configuration but can say that the reviewer had an ear to ear grin. The engine noise was minimal and the response was super impressive. Bring it on.
I'm anxious for the release of the 5.0 Cummins equipped Titan.
Hopefully,one will be showing at the San Diego Auto Show.

Lol easy wheel spin that Nissan Frontier tester was dropping big power to the rear wheels for some spin and he was liking it. I saw that also. The Nissan guy was laughing and commented they would need to fine tune the throttle response a little.

ErockinTaco

2016 Tacoma will still offer a 6 speed MT but unfortunately not available on the long beds. I'm excited about the diesel, just hope Toyota will follow suit one day

TwinStick

Explorer
The reason we still need manual trans's is because (for gas engines) the gear ratio's in the autos are for mpg, NOT HD work. The diesels have the HUGE torque surplus to make up for the lack of proper gear ratio's. I see it every year when i go camping. 850 ft lb of tq to pull a 3500-11,000 camper. They all think my Power Wagon must be a diesel because of the engine block heater plug sticking out in front. My Hemi pulled my 10,500 lb toy hauler i had like nobody's business. 345 hp, 375 ft lb tq. . We just traded it & downsized to a 18' AR-ONE EXTREME, as we approach retirement. 3200# empty. I see people towing campers like that with 6.7 CTD's. To each their own. That being said, if they would offer up an auto with the exact same gear ratios as my G-56 equipped P-Wagon, I would be all over it.

This is the Colorado i would like to see. http://www.chevrolet.com/culture/article/colorado-zr2-off-road-truck.html

Except it would be around 50-52K !!!

Big mike

Adventurer
I went in and placed a pre order already on the Canyon diesel. I have to get this truck. It's going to be a lot of fun. Sorry not a US Nissan
fan !
Mike

toymaster

Explorer
^^^ Wish I had an excuse to buy one; believe me I have tried to justify it. Not a chevy fan or a isuzu diesel fan but I love this concept. It should be able to gain the popularity of the toyota trucks in the overland segment.

RoyJ

Adventurer
That being said, if they would offer up an auto with the exact same gear ratios as my G-56 equipped P-Wagon, I would be all over it.

We're getting close with the ZF 8 spd, all that Fiat needs to do is put the 8HP90 version into the HD trucks.

The ZF has a 4.7:1 1st gear, which is as low as reasonably possible with a torque converter. The G56/NV5600 has a 6:1 1st gear because it's necessary when starting a heavy load at a clutch engagement of 900 rpm.

With an auto, you tap the throttle and you're up to 1500 rpm. Then factor in the torque multiplication of the converter itself, and a 4.7:1 can easily beat a stick shift with 6:1 gear. This is why even the most severe duty HD Allisons (for military tank transporters) only need a 7.63:1 1st gear, vs say, an 18:1 1st gear in Eaton Fullers.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
We're getting close with the ZF 8 spd, all that Fiat needs to do is put the 8HP90 version into the HD trucks.

The ZF has a 4.7:1 1st gear, which is as low as reasonably possible with a torque converter. The G56/NV5600 has a 6:1 1st gear because it's necessary when starting a heavy load at a clutch engagement of 900 rpm.

With an auto, you tap the throttle and you're up to 1500 rpm. Then factor in the torque multiplication of the converter itself, and a 4.7:1 can easily beat a stick shift with 6:1 gear. This is why even the most severe duty HD Allisons (for military tank transporters) only need a 7.63:1 1st gear, vs say, an 18:1 1st gear in Eaton Fullers.

I just did some snooping whats interesting is Mercedes is putting a 1st gear ratio of 4.38 in their little GLK soft roader.
My 07 sequoia is 3.52
The 2015 Tacoma is 1st. 3.95
Jeep wrangler tRANSMISSION: W5A580 .... Gear Ratios 1st 4.46 2nd 2.61 3rd 1.72 4th

Interesting to see the range of those ratios in the Autos. Mercedes really surprises me.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Out of curiosity I dug up these which are interesting also
Ranger 2.2L and 3.2L Diesel 4x4 Wildtrak MT
Transmission 6-speed manual
Gear Ratio 1st Gear 5.441
Gear Ratio 2nd Gear 2.839
Gear Ratio 3rd Gear 1.721
Gear Ratio 4th Gear 1.223
Gear Ratio 5th Gear 1.000
Reverse Gear Ratio 4.935
Final Gear Ratio 3.31

RoyJ

Adventurer
I just did some snooping whats interesting is Mercedes is putting a 1st gear ratio of 4.38 in their little GLK soft roader.
My 07 sequoia is 3.52
The 2015 Tacoma is 1st. 3.95
Jeep wrangler tRANSMISSION: W5A580 .... Gear Ratios 1st 4.46 2nd 2.61 3rd 1.72 4th

Interesting to see the range of those ratios in the Autos. Mercedes really surprises me.

For the Wranger, I think you may be looking at the ratios for the 6 spd manual:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_NSG370_transmission

The W5A580 uses the following ratios for all applications:

3.595 2.186 1.405 1.000 0.831

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_5G-Tronic_transmission

Still a massive improvement over the ancient and weak 42RE. This is why I tell people, in a Pentastar W5A JK, a 3.73 performs like a 4.10, and a 4.10 performs like a 4.56, compared to the old 3.8L + 4 speed auto.

D

Deleted member 9101

Humm, neat little trucks, but not worth the price IMHO for most people. Unless they can get 35MPG HW and 30MPG in town and I suddenly start driving hundreds of miles a week, it will not be more economical that my already paid off Tundra.

superbuickguy

Explorer
This will be my next truck. I've never been a fan of Cummins because they have such a narrow power band. I'll never own a Nissan. I guess I have to laugh at the snide comment about Isuzu motors, I don't get it, they are a really well-built motor that last forever. And square wheel wells is the reason some get another brand? wow, I guess some people just have to have the right wheel well even though it means they're out all stuck and broken in the wilderness.... thanks for the laugh guys.

And I'm not buying an import because I know American manufacturers build quality products and I would really rather my countrymen keep their jobs. It's not a dig on their product, it's a priority to help the people closest to me first.

Chunkymyster

What the big deal with diesel? I have a Jetta TDI and it does get great MPG but when fuel prices go back up it hurts more also not every gas station carries diesel and diesel mechanics are top dollar plus the fuel stations located off the interstate charge more for using a card. Who carries cash anymore? The power from the engine is great for a workhorse vehicle but for Overlanding or daily driver? I guess can some one explain to me the benefits

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior