2016 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71

D45

Explorer
Some good info on the GM 8-Speed 8L90 M5U Hydra-Matic Automatic Transmission

"New 2016 Silverado 1500 pickups with the 6.2L V8 engine will get a new 8-speed automatic transmission. The new transmission will also be standard on LTZ, LTZ/Z71 and High Country Silverados with the 5.3L V8."

D45

Explorer
Interesting info,

2016 trucks had two transmissions, one 6 speed and one 8 speed. All 6.2L V8 trucks got the better 8 speed trans and 5.3L LTZ trucks also got the same 8 speed trans.

I am glad this truck has the 8 speed

I am also glad I have a one piece, large diameter aluminum rear driveshaft

D45

Explorer
Looking at leveling kits......

I have installed two of the Rough Country 2.5" front/2" rear leveling kits on two friends trucks. One GMC and one Chevy. They were easy and allowed for larger tires

I see that Motofab makes a 3" front/2" rear leveling kit for my truck. I am concerned about upper control arm angles, CV axle angles and suspension movement.......any one running a 3" front kit?

There is also a 3.5 kit that comes with an upper control arm

buellconvert

I've got a 2" leveling kit on my 2016 and it didn't quite get me to where I wanted to be and thought of using the 2.5" or even the 3", but I've seen the resulting stress put on 2 coworkers trucks with those and that made me like and appreciate my 2" just fine!

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

D45

Explorer
Searched all the codes, still doesn't say anything about the entire drivetrain

Found some good info, but not everything

Posi limited slip, 3.42, 17" brakes, HD engine oil cooling, 150 amp alternator, HD trans cooling, high capacity air cleaner, skid plates, exhaust pyrometer, premium performance enhanced audio, digital audio system, and off road package

SoTxAg06

Looking at leveling kits......

I have installed two of the Rough Country 2.5" front/2" rear leveling kits on two friends trucks. One GMC and one Chevy. They were easy and allowed for larger tires

I see that Motofab makes a 3" front/2" rear leveling kit for my truck. I am concerned about upper control arm angles, CV axle angles and suspension movement.......any one running a 3" front kit?

There is also a 3.5 kit that comes with an upper control arm

IMO, if you go above 2”, you probably will need some sort of differential drop to keep the cv joints happy.

I have a 2” leveling kit on mine. I wouldn’t mind if it had more clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D45

Explorer
Ordered a 21" antenna to replace to way to tall stock 31" antenna. Fits great and no loss of reception

Also ordered GM factory bed tie down hooks...for on the inside of the bed, not the stake pockets. They are built very well and for $30 it's well worth it

Next I ordered a driver side A pillar grab handle and a center console organizer tray.

I am going to see how the 30" LED light bar from my F150 looks and fits behind the grill.

30" dual row
180W, 60pcs 3W CREE LEDs
15000 lumens
Color: 6000K

Combo pattern with Spots in the middle and Flood on the ends

The PIAA 30034 light switch will be used again, love it

I need to find a used cap for the bed of this truck

I am also going to be adding a cold air intake, larger throttle body, and a 3" cat back exhaust

I need to plan out the suspension and do my research on these trucks first

buellconvert

Also ordered GM factory bed tie down hooks...for on the inside of the bed, not the stake pockets. They are built very well and for $30 it's well worth it

I got some of those off eBay, genuine GM products that were blemishes on the attachment points that you don't even see when installed and I must say they are very well made and do the job very well and I got a great deal on them!

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

Grassland

Ordered a 21" antenna to replace to way to tall stock 31" antenna. Fits great and no loss of reception

Next I ordered a driver side A pillar grab handle and a center console organizer tray.

I am going to see how the 30" LED light bar from my F150 looks and fits behind the grill.

30" dual row
180W, 60pcs 3W CREE LEDs
15000 lumens
Color: 6000K

Combo pattern with Spots in the middle and Flood on the ends

The PIAA 30034 light switch will be used again, love it

I need to find a used cap for the bed of this truck

I am also going to be adding a cold air intake, larger throttle body, and a 3" cat back exhaust

I need to plan out the suspension and do my research on these trucks first

3-3.5" lift you would want UCAs and a 1" front dif drop.
Friend of mine has the rough country kit, can't remember which UCA he runs. Says the front shocks sucked and were done in 1.5 but you can always pick a different shock later.

*Edit* I swear to god if this phone changes dif to did one more time...

Attachments

• IMG_20191231_144434_01.jpg
    IMG_20191231_144434_01.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 85

D45

Explorer
I have installed two different 2.5"/2" lifts one two diff trucks

Both still rode great on the factory struts and rear shocks

But yes, I wouldn't go over a 2.5" without a diff drop and notching the crossmember

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Searched all the codes, still doesn't say anything about the entire drivetrain

Found some good info, but not everything

Posi limited slip, 3.42, 17" brakes, HD engine oil cooling, 150 amp alternator, HD trans cooling, high capacity air cleaner, skid plates, exhaust pyrometer, premium performance enhanced audio, digital audio system, and off road package

What is it about your drivetrain that you don't know? Unlike Ford and Ram which offer different T-cases depending on which trim level you get, GM trucks pretty much all get the same one at least if you order a V8 (I think the V6 Silverados have the floor lever T-case that doesn't have a "4 auto" setting.") I liked having the "4 auto" position on my T-case, my new-to-me F-150 doesn't have it.

rcab87

Trans model is 8L90, transfer case is a Magna MP3023 and the rear axle is a semi floater with a 9.5" ring gear. I'm pretty sure this info is correct, but I make no promises

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier