2016 4Runner TRD Pro

jhonn236

I was on the look for one of these over the last holiday weekend but there was not a single one available in a 500mi radius! Also two dealerships told me that toyota wasn't taking any orders for the 4runner until later this year (2017 models are coming out) so I had to settle with a trail premium with KDSS. Which btw, I spend days debating between TP with KDSS or a TRDPro, about 3k difference at the end... loving it so far! The ride is amazing, suspension is unbelievable smooth, and a great rig. Barely getting to 300mi right now. I am looking forward to take this girl off-roading! Great taste on colors, we actually have sisters.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I was fortunate to have a sales manager pull some strings and get my name on this one when the guy who ordered it canceled while it was on the boat from Japan.

The trail premium is equally amazing...I have a friend who is building his now.

-H-

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Just a quick update...roof rack was installed last night.

i-QHn2Dq5-L.jpg

As I mentioned; I'm keeping it simple, lightweight and practical. Yakima Timberline mounts with 60" steel aero Corebars will allow for numerous options from ski racks to carrying kayaks and stand up paddleboards, and I can still throw a 4x8' sheet of plywood or larger items on the rack and strap it down effectively.

Plus, the low profile negates any "roof rack penalty" in fuel economy.

I'm very pleased so far.

Dual battery tray and wiring is on order!

-H-

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Nice! I tried those out and they are high quality! I sold them because they sat too high on my '06. But they look much better with the newer style of side load bars Toyota is providing.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
So...my rack decision, and this is going to be sacrilege to some: Yakima on the existing factory roof rails.

With a 165lb. dynamic load capacity, I'll have enough for some bulky, lightweight gear (inflatable paddleboards, kayaks, sleeping bags, skis, etc.) and be able to throw a sheet of plywood, etc. on it when needed.
-H-

Roof racks & snorkels . . . I never understood them (at least for what 99.9% of us do).

I put a Skybox on the factory rails of my (older than yours) 4-runner. Stooopid [sic] amount of room for the light weight stuff, and narrow enough that I can put the MTB or kayak next to it.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
That's where I'm headed...get all the light weight and bulky stuff up and out of the way.

And then I went by Ham Radio Outlet today. Really...all I went in for was a coax adapter!

i-L66fQGw-L.jpg

So this install will happen, too!

-H-

Last edited:

Willman

-H- your rig is coming along great! I'm digging the hidden winch. And those wheels are SEXY!

What dual battery kit did you get? Also, what brand of dual battery are you going to run?

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Thanks, sir!

Went with a Shrockworks dual battery tray and smog pump relocation kit. It just arrived at the doorstep today, so the installation write up will be soon.

National Luna kit will do the charging duty...love this kit. So easy to install. No messing with factory wiring and never a hiccup in the 3 rigs I've had it in, so an easy choice.

Since the Sears Platinum is no more, and the Shrockworks kit is built around using an Optima Yellow Top, I'll likely go with that or an Optima Blue Top. Hood clearance could be an issue with other batteries I've researched.

It'll be backed up by a Powerfilm 60W solar panel for camping duty, and I've run Optimas before...red, blue and yellow, with good results. (Although I know others haven't had good luck with them.)

I also don't expect any battery to go more than 3-4 years in the Arizona and Mexico heat I travel in. I replace them before necessary as a consumable item.

-H-

Last edited:

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I just read a quote that sums up my week: "When I procrastinate, current me really expects a lot out of future me."

My week so far...phone tag, clients missing appointments...and with a ton of stuff in the garage I decided I might as well do some installs!

The Shrockworks dual battery tray and smog pump relocation kit went in yesterday.

I'm amazingly impressed with both these kits. Beyond easy install on both. Parts are made really well, and the instructions are well written and super easy to follow!

First, the smog pump had to be relocated from the front passenger side to the rear passenger side of the engine compartment.

i-2C6Gjbg-L.jpg

i-rh2L5tb-L.jpg

Using the original hose, slightly modified, it fit nicely behind the air box.

i-LJDpDZq-L.jpg

Then the battery box install was even easier. The stock power steering bracket is removed, and the air con line bracket very slightly modified. New battery tray includes a mount for the power steering reservoir, and the air con line attaches firmly to it as well. Designed for an Optima, the Blue Top I purchased dropped right in no problem.

i-7BgjVTv-L.jpg

i-g8CFzR8-L.jpg

i-XJ2nr4v-L.jpg

Equipt shipped the National Luna battery kit so fast I actually got the email invoice AFTER the kit had been delivered. Can't say enough about Paul May and the Equipt crew...top notch service!

This is the third time I've installed a National Luna kit in a rig...and I love the fact that no changes are made to factory wiring. The most difficult thing about install is finding a place to mount the solenoid; wiring is a piece of cake, with all connectors and battery post clamps included in the kit.

i-jLGsmsw-L.jpg

Battery monitor, which allows for combining the batteries, and self jump start capabilities, was run through the firewall and is mounted using heavy duty velcro to the driver's side transmission hump. Out of the way, but easy to see and use the controls if needed.

i-S4kZpVr-L.jpg

Next projects:

Solar panel hookup, with the solar controller to the Optima Blue Top and running the electrics for the fridge. Yaesu radio will go under the passenger seat, along with an external speaker and remote-head to the center console....

i-LHW7gdT-L.jpg

-H-

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Worked on some electrical this weekend.

Yaesu FT7900 2M/70cm transceiver.

Powered off of the auxiliary battery, I made a lexan mount for the body of the radio and the external speaker. Mount was then attached under the passenger seat using Velcro. It's not going anywhere, and has plenty of air movement for cooling.

i-xPRxwdn-L.jpg

i-tL4wjzX-L.jpg

i-Q62xGK2-L.jpg

The remote head unit was mounted to a steel L bracket, then the line run up the side of the center console. The cover where the temperature select knob was popped off, and a small hole drilled into the side of the lower cubby under the USB input. L bracket was mounted to the cubby once again by Velcro...solid!

i-ZmqcN3w-L.jpg

i-kMnHNxd-L.jpg

Stubby antenna for in town.

i-RSZgFms-L.jpg

Cabling was run through a grommet in the firewall and through the side kick panel; lots of room in there. I also took the opportunity to run 10ga. wire to the rear for the fridge outlet (on order).

i-WDX4xWp-L.jpg

i-XLbVCGn-L.jpg

i-D3Cs2b9-L.jpg

Fridge mock up for location....

i-W6jJ8bK-L.jpg

-H-

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
Very nice

I like what you pointed out about the winch and no immediate need. Are you looking to add bumpers? I'm more a fan of the factory bumpers and maybe a hidden winch.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I'm really not looking at adding bumpers. I've used ARB and others before, and just haven't been able to justify the weight and expense on either my 100 Series or this build.

I'm trying to keep the weight down and hopefully the mileage and range up.

-H-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke