2016 4Runner - Need New Build Advice

gurinpo

Hello,
I've enjoyed reading others threads on specific builds, so thought I'd start one for my sake and hopefully others.

Just purchased a 2016 4Runner Trail, blank slate. The camping rig needs to withstand whatever winter would throw at it (within reason), but also be comfortable for 3-season camping. I'd love to know if you'd recommend any other piece of gear, or have design advice, for the first big steps. Of course there will be more to it, but these initial needs are expensive and important.

- Rack: Frontrunner Slimeline Full Length (pro install to modify for the tent)
- RTT: Maggiolina AirLand Plus (M, XL)
(of these pieces I've wrestled the most the RTT selection)
- ARB 2500MM Side Awning w Room

Thanks for your input! Super excited to get out exploring in this thing.

Attachments

• My 4Runner.jpg
    My 4Runner.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 61

wild1

Adventurer
Hello,
I've enjoyed reading others threads on specific builds, so thought I'd start one for my sake and hopefully others.
Hello,

Just purchased a 2016 4Runner Trail, blank slate. The camping rig needs to withstand whatever winter would throw at it (within reason), but also be comfortable for 3-season camping. I'd love to know if you'd recommend any other piece of gear, or have design advice, for the first big steps. Of course there will be more to it, but these initial needs are expensive and important.

Congratulations on your new Trail, we use ours for fast and light camping trips when we don't need all the amenities of the big truck. The one thing that I would deal with immediately is the stock tires. I would sell them while they are worth something and get some tires commensurate with the ability of the vehicle. They are really a limiting factor. The other thing I would think about is if you really gain anything with a roof top tent vs sleeping inside. I have a big top box and kayaks on the roof and really don't care to lose the flexibility for a tent on the roof. We have a simple sleeping platform with storage under it that has worked great for us. The bed is just as big as the one in our Alaskan camper and the storage is cavernous. It cost a fraction of a RTT and is totally weather proof,climate controlled at the touch of a key and way more secure in sketchy conditions. The only thing you give up is a bit of head room but that has been a non issue for us.

Attachments

• IMG_0794.JPG
    IMG_0794.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0948.JPG
    IMG_0948.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 140

gurinpo

Appreciate it, hadn’t really considered that. Always thought it would be poor for the condensation and temperature regulation, but definitely need to look into that now- your setup looks great!

If you throw a rack and a RTT onto your 4R, and a bunch of gear in it, you'll be sagging quite a bit in the rear. I'd invest in a mild lift or at least some suspension airbags in the rear to prevent sag and keep your truck handling the way it's supposed to. Then, if you're planning on camping off the beaten path, I'd get some all terrain tires with some sidewall (i.e., load range C or E), skid plates, and sliders. And your 2016 4Runner's rear axle breather has not been relocated from the factory, so if you ever plan to ford water that is greater than hub deep, you'll need to run a line up to the firewall or up by the gas cap to avoid the risk of getting water into your rear axle. ARB makes a kit with everything you need.

If you put a lift on it, stick to less than 3" or you'll have to replace your UCAs.
Regarding tires, If you go bigger than 285/70R17, you'll have to chop the body mounts in the front wheel wells. You may have to do the BMC chop with certain 285s.

Check these threads on the 4Runner forum:
5th Gen 4Runner Lift Buyers Guide
Going Bigger: Tire Fitment Guide
Skid Plate Recommendations
Consolidated Slider Info Thread

wild1

Adventurer
Appreciate it, hadn’t really considered that. Always thought it would be poor for the condensation and temperature regulation, but definitely need to look into that now- your setup looks great!
I made a set of screens out of fiber glass window screen that I cut to fit the four doors and the back windows. I hold them in place with ceramic magnets that I bought at Lowe's, works great you can run it from all windows full open to barely cracked.

gurinpo

If you throw a rack and a RTT onto your 4R, and a bunch of gear in it, you'll be sagging quite a bit in the rear. I'd invest in a mild lift or at least some suspension airbags in the rear to prevent sag and keep your truck handling the way it's supposed to. Then, if you're planning on camping off the beaten path, I'd get some all terrain tires with some sidewall (i.e., load range C or E), skid plates, and sliders. And your 2016 4Runner's rear axle breather has not been relocated from the factory, so if you ever plan to ford water that is greater than hub deep, you'll need to run a line up to the firewall or up by the gas cap to avoid the risk of getting water into your rear axle. ARB makes a kit with everything you need.

If you put a lift on it, stick to less than 3" or you'll have to replace your UCAs.
Regarding tires, If you go bigger than 285/70R17, you'll have to chop the body mounts in the front wheel wells. You may have to do the BMC chop with certain 285s.

Very very helpful - thank you!!

Neosapian

Innate Outdoor Co
  1. Where do you plan to camp most frequently?
  2. Where do you plan to camp least frequently?
  3. Do you plan to add bumpers, winch, armor etc. in the future?
  4. What terrain or capability do you envision your 4runner achieving when its completely built?
  5. Are you concerned with fuel economy, parking garage clearance, family or pet accessibility, budget or anything else that may become decisive factors.
For winter camping, consider organizing the interior of your rig so that you have the option of sleeping inside of your vehicle. This will play into your refrigerator selection as well as your storage system and gear placement. Decent Sub-zero sleeping bags at $500+ are an investment all on their own, consider that. A Propex furnace might be a great investment if you're all about that Colorado Ski/Snowboard life, sleeping on the mountain getting first tracks after a new snow storm.

Since you're posting on this forum, its reasonable to assume your 4runner will leave pavement and that you will very quickly outgrow your stock passenger rated tires and comfy stock suspension. Go straight for E-range Light Truck tires in All Terrain or Muddy pattern. Durability is the name of the game. Stay with a ~31" tire to preserve fuel economy (range) or to avoid lifting the vehicle. Don't let anybody tell you that you need 33's to wheel your 4runner... Get a taller 32 - 34" tire only if you know you've got to have that 3" lift and a beast mode stance for Instagram or Moab or what-have-you. You've got to cut up your truck and run new control arms to get beast mode tires to fit and articulate on these trucks, and that requires more time and money than a lot of people prefer to spend, plain and simple.

You probably won't need a new roof rack to mount a tent. In fact those tents will occupy 75% of the roof, and you might find that a nice Front Runner simply becomes a $1200 tent mount instead of a useful place to store gear. You'll probably get tired of buying and managing ice during camping trips. You'll want a fridge, guaranteed. Why not plan ahead and drop the $800-1000 on your fridge, plus the $300 deep cycle battery you'll want to run it early on? Those two items will be game changers on a level a roof rack or even an RTT could never match.

Tires, tent, awning, fridge and battery/power management. Thats an awesome start in my book. Spend the rest of your time and money in the near-term geeking out on recovery gear, vacation expenses and quality beer. After a season or two, throw on a lift kit, winch, bumpers, auxiliary lighting etc.

Just one man's opinion. I didn't start my 4runner build this way, but this is how I'd do it if i could start over.

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
  1. Where do you plan to camp most frequently?
  2. Where do you plan to camp least frequently?
  3. Do you plan to add bumpers, winch, armor etc. in the future?
  4. What terrain or capability do you envision your 4runner achieving when its completely built?
  5. Are you concerned with fuel economy, parking garage clearance, family or pet accessibility, budget or anything else that may become decisive factors.
For winter camping, consider organizing the interior of your rig so that you have the option of sleeping inside of your vehicle. This will play into your refrigerator selection as well as your storage system and gear placement. Decent Sub-zero sleeping bags at $500+ are an investment all on their own, consider that. A Propex furnace might be a great investment if you're all about that Colorado Ski/Snowboard life, sleeping on the mountain getting first tracks after a new snow storm.

Since you're posting on this forum, its reasonable to assume your 4runner will leave pavement and that you will very quickly outgrow your stock passenger rated tires and comfy stock suspension. Go straight for E-range Light Truck tires in All Terrain or Muddy pattern. Durability is the name of the game. Stay with a ~31" tire to preserve fuel economy (range) or to avoid lifting the vehicle. Don't let anybody tell you that you need 33's to wheel your 4runner... Get a taller 32 - 34" tire only if you know you've got to have that 3" lift and a beast mode stance for Instagram or Moab or what-have-you. You've got to cut up your truck and run new control arms to get beast mode tires to fit and articulate on these trucks, and that requires more time and money than a lot of people prefer to spend, plain and simple.

You probably won't need a new roof rack to mount a tent. In fact those tents will occupy 75% of the roof, and you might find that a nice Front Runner simply becomes a $1200 tent mount instead of a useful place to store gear. You'll probably get tired of buying and managing ice during camping trips. You'll want a fridge, guaranteed. Why not plan ahead and drop the $800-1000 on your fridge, plus the $300 deep cycle battery you'll want to run it early on? Those two items will be game changers on a level a roof rack or even an RTT could never match.

Tires, tent, awning, fridge and battery/power management. Thats an awesome start in my book. Spend the rest of your time and money in the near-term geeking out on recovery gear, vacation expenses and quality beer. After a season or two, throw on a lift kit, winch, bumpers, auxiliary lighting etc.

Just one man's opinion. I didn't start my 4runner build this way, but this is how I'd do it if i could start over.

OP, congrats on the new rig, they are excellent vehicles that are extremely capable in stock form less the factory rubber (TRD Off-Road Blackout package and TRD Pro trims excluded).

This is great advice from @Neosapian and likely the route/approach we will take with our new 4Runner. Don't get me wrong, I very much would like to slap on some 285's and a quality 3" lift kit, but I also would like to keep that 20mpg economy on the highway that we currently experience. I would like a nice awning camp setup so we will likely invest in a aftermarket roof rack for a better mounting option and so that we can place gear up top and out of the way should we want to sleep inside or if we need to carry passengers or lots of gear for a particular trip. For now I might explore a simple spacer lift or short lift coil simply to gain some clearance up front and to eliminate the factory rake.

I have always been one to start modifying a vehicle right out of the box, but for once I'd like to rock a capable vehicle in stock form to see what it can do before I neuter its factory ratings. I don't know how long I'll be able to hold out, but I am going to give it an honest try this time and see how it goes.

Wallygator

Adventurer
Nice ride. I also have a 2016 Trail. Bought it new with 1 mile on the clock. I practically drove mine from the dealer to Discount tire and traded the stock tires for KO2's. Then put sliders and skid plates on it. All I have done since is tint, rago fab molle panels in the rear windows, the ultimate camping mod, built up the back to be even with the folded down seats so I can sleep in it, and just enjoyed it. These vehicles are so capable in stock form. Next up I'm thinking power options and possibly a fridge.....Look forward to more of your build.

sn_85

Observer
Great advice so far. I think a good start is to get new AT tires. Depending on the type of off-roading you do you'll want to decide what size and what load rating. Mild to moderate off-roading look into a C-rated 265 or 275. Another option is to go skinny with 255/75/17's. If you're going to be doing more difficult trails, crawling or going solo then I'd go 285 E-rated. Add sliders and a front skid. Roof rack is optional but I do find them useful. There are a lot of options that are anywhere from adding load bars to the current stock rack to 3/4 rack to a full length rack. Also be aware that the Front Runner requires drilling into your roof line, so there's that too. Many options out there don't require drilling. As previously mentioned a fridge is one of those purchases that is a game changer and makes a big difference in your camp experience, moreso than a RTT. I had a RTT and hated it for daily driving. Became a huge PITA in terms of parking in garages. Killed my MPG, handling, and it felt like a slug driving. Got rid of it after 2 months. I'd advise against an RTT until you know it's exactly what you want, need, because these 4Runners hate extra weight.

Dalko43

Explorer
OP, where do you live?

Your stock tires look fairly tame, but unless you're planning on going into areas with lots of mud and wet snow, I think they should work fine for the immediate future. If you really plan to go off the beaten path for the longterm, tires will be the most important piece of gear for your 4runner. I think A/T's are the best compromise in terms of mpg/noise and offroad performance, but you'll know better than anyone else if mud tires will make more sense.

I had a RTT and hated it for daily driving. Became a huge PITA in terms of parking in garages. Killed my MPG, handling, and it felt like a slug driving. Got rid of it after 2 months. I'd advise against an RTT until you know it's exactly what you want, need, because these 4Runners hate extra weight.

I'll add to the advice above, because I think it's sound: the 4runner does not like lots of extra weight or aerodynamic resistance. It will handle up to its 1.5k payload, with significant suspension sag and degraded mpg. It will tow up to 5k lbs, again with degraded fuel economy and sluggish driving characteristics. You're going to find that while the platform itself can handle heavy weight within its ratings, the stock suspension will need to be changed out and the v6 engine will be a bit of a dog. Same principle applies for adding more aerodynamic resistance.

If you truly want to go for a dedicated overland build (RTT, full bumper and armor, bigger tires) the 4runner is stout enough to handle all that stuff. You just need to be aware of the tradeoff's, which are namely degraded fuel economy and and slower driving characteristics.

On the flipside, if you keep the 4runner stock or mildly modified, you'll find that it doesn't truly need much work to get into remote and hard-to-reach areas. The stock suspension actually works very well in terms of offroad performance and everyday comfort, and it may be well suited to your needs if you only occasionally load up the vehicle. Your stock ground clearance and approach/departure angles are more than adequate for most types of trails (excepting the hardcore jeep trails). You can still crank out 21-22 mpg on highway drives if you keep the tire size stock and the suspension lift to a minimum.

I'm not advising against any in-depth build, but I do think it is worth your while to see what the stock 4runner is capable of before you decide to dump thousands of $ into suspension, armor, roof racks, ect.

Last edited:

sn_85

Observer
OP, where do you live?

Your stock tires look fairly tame, but unless you're planning on going into areas with lots of mud and wet snow, I think they should work fine for the immediate future. If you really plan to go off the beaten path for the longterm, tires will be the most important piece of gear for your 4runner. I think A/T's are the best compromise in terms of mpg/noise and offroad performance, but you'll know better than anyone else if mud tires will make more sense.

I'll add to the advice above, because I think it's sound: the 4runner does not like lots of extra weight or aerodynamic resistance. It will handle up to its 1.5k payload, with significant suspension sag and degraded mpg. It will tow up to 5k lbs, again with degraded fuel economy and sluggish driving characteristics. You're going to find that while the platform itself can handle heavy weight within its ratings, the stock suspension will need to be changed out and the v6 engine will be a bit of a dog. Same principle applies for adding more aerodynamic resistance.

If you truly want to go for a dedicated overland build (RTT, full bumper and armor, bigger tires) the 4runner is stout enough to handle all that stuff. You just need to be aware of the tradeoff's, which are namely degraded fuel economy and and slower driving characteristics.

On the flipside, if you keep the 4runner stock or mildly modified, you'll find that it doesn't truly need much work to get into remote and hard-to-reach areas. The stock suspension actually works very well in terms of offroad performance and everyday comfort, and it may be well suited to your needs if you only occasionally load up the vehicle. Your stock ground clearance and approach/departure angles are more than adequate for most types of trails (excepting the hardcore jeep trails). You can still crank out 21-22 mpg on highway drives if you keep the tire size stock and the suspension lift to a minimum.

I'm not advising against any in-depth build, but I do think it is worth your while to see what the stock 4runner is capable before you decide to dump thousands of $ into suspension, armor, roof racks, ect.

On point. To add to this, I have what I call a moderate build. C4 Lo-Pro front bumper, winch, dual batteries, k9 roof rack, slides, skids, Icon 2.5" w/ CDC and 285's. The truck drives fine and is peppy enough. My MPG is around 16 right now and with that same setup and 265 C-rated tires I was getting 17mpg combined. So not too bad. It was the RTT that killed the driving experience which I promptly got rid of. I was considering some drawers but thought better of it. For now I'm going with a custom plate system in the rear along with my fridge and some Alu-boxes for storage which will keep it light modular, and can return it to the flat floor quickly. I think I'm going to do some weight reduction eventually. When the new 2019 TRD Pro's come out I'll probably buy some take off Fox's and put either 275's or 255 skinny C-rated skinny's on. Also may just do with a front skid and skip the transmission and transfer case skid which I currently have. I have no doubts that'll put me back to 17-18mpg and much better ride quality.

And my favorite mod thus far...the Pedal Commander. The throttle response is just right and perfect. A must add IMO.

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
And my favorite mod thus far...the Pedal Commander. The throttle response is just right and perfect. A must add IMO.

What is the difference between the Pedal Commander and the Sprint Booster? I need to look into these options, it definitely wouldn't hurt.

I am all for the skinny 255's, I ran that size BFG KO2's on our 80-Series and I loved the look and performance. We have decided to run the factory 265's that came on our Pro for now and we are going to look into a mild 1-2" lift to get better clearance and approach angles. Hopefully that route will keep the fuel economy close to stock numbers.

dstock

Explorer
Nice ride. I also have a 2016 Trail. Bought it new with 1 mile on the clock. I practically drove mine from the dealer to Discount tire and traded the stock tires for KO2's. Then put sliders and skid plates on it. All I have done since is tint, rago fab molle panels in the rear windows, the ultimate camping mod, built up the back to be even with the folded down seats so I can sleep in it, and just enjoyed it. These vehicles are so capable in stock form. Next up I'm thinking power options and possibly a fridge.....Look forward to more of your build.

I'm curious, did Discount Tire give you anything for the stock tires? We just got a new 4Runner and I'd like to do the same thing. We're going to go with a similar build methodology.

Applejack

Explorer

We flip flopped a lot on whether or not to go with a RTT and have yet to pull the trigger on one. Sleeping inside is pretty cozy but condensation is an issue so we keep the windshield covered with a sun shade and keep the windows cracked open except for when it rains.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior