2016-2017 F150 4x4 EcoBoost - Real world experiences??

D

Deleted member 9101

Been watching some YouTube videos and I have to say the 2.7 EB is looking better and better for my next tow vehicle.

This one in particular was impressive to me because I drive that exact stretch of highway pulling a trailer 10 - 15 times every year. This is Eastbound I-70 from Silverthorne (el. 9,000') up to the top of Eisenhower Tunnel (11,000'). I'd be more impressed if they did Crow Hill on US 285 simply because unlike I-70, which has multiple lanes so you can maintain momentum, Crow Hill has a sharp 90 degree turn at the base which means that no matter what engine or transmission you have, you're starting at the bottom of a steep hill from a very slow speed with zero momentum. That's one of the hills where my 'Burb frequently downshifts all the way to 1st gear to get up to the top!

I have zero complaints about my 2.7. It's a shockingly powerful motor.

harv3589

Adventurer
I can’t wait to send my ‘18 F150 3.5L down the road...I’ve had to replace cam phaser and timing chain plus high pressure fuel pump. I’ve had some weird stuff going on with the transmission like sticking in 4th gear and not shifting. Drivers seat moves slightly but I was told that’s normal. I haven’t had a block heater that worked since spring of 2018, don’t know when they will fix that. Won’t buy another Ford.

The 2017’s have the same issues as the ‘18.

Some have plastic oil pans, which commonly leak, 10 speed transmission issues, cam phasers, rear end issues, moon roof problems with tracks messing up or leaking, none of which Ford has fixed. They just keep replacing parts.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Reading this is interesting. I’m shopping for a new daddy shuttle also. Though I hope to replace both my daddy cars with one car. Save on registration, insurance, tires etc going to one vehicle for me. Wife has her plugin Fusion. Great car!!

I would love a truck but that won’t fly with aging parents and a great grand parent plus two kids.

The 2.7 is a great engine! But it sounds like it’s being replaced by a reworked 3L version that also replaces the old 3.5. The new 2020 Explorer gets that new 3L 400hp thing. I like the size of the new Explorer its nearly identical to my 06 Sequoia in spec numbers. But barely 8in ground clearance and no Plugin hybrid killed my interest. The Aviator with air suspension and plugin hybrid is interesting but not at $75,000..

I need something sized like the 06 Sequoia which is narrower than the porky current Sequoia and wide Yukon. But can get 20+mpg or better shuttling kids around town. I’m a stay at home dad these days. I drove the wifes car for a week and didn’t use a drop of gas. So that plugin 25mile range would be a huge fuel bill savings for me. But we do big NP trips just did a 2900 mile one last month. The Expedition is a bit wide too. City parking is a pain!!!

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Reading this is interesting. I’m shopping for a new daddy shuttle also. Though I hope to replace both my daddy cars with one car. Save on registration, insurance, tires etc going to one vehicle for me. Wife has her plugin Fusion. Great car!!

I would love a truck but that won’t fly with aging parents and a great grand parent plus two kids.

The 2.7 is a great engine! But it sounds like it’s being replaced by a reworked 3L version that also replaces the old 3.5. The new 2020 Explorer gets that new 3L 400hp thing. I like the size of the new Explorer its nearly identical to my 06 Sequoia in spec numbers. But barely 8in ground clearance and no Plugin hybrid killed my interest. The Aviator with air suspension and plugin hybrid is interesting but not at $75,000..

I need something sized like the 06 Sequoia which is narrower than the porky current Sequoia and wide Yukon. But can get 20+mpg or better shuttling kids around town. I’m a stay at home dad these days. I drove the wifes car for a week and didn’t use a drop of gas. So that plugin 25mile range would be a huge fuel bill savings for me. But we do big NP trips just did a 2900 mile one last month. The Expedition is a bit wide too. City parking is a pain!!!

Do you need something that will offroad? Doesn’t sound like it from what you’re saying. Maybe a van or crossover will suit your needs better?

D

Deleted member 9101

Do tell, what makes you think the 2.7 is being replaced? It was specifically designed for the F150 and is far from being obsolete. The 3.0 shares very little with the 2.7 and was designed for use in SUVs, meaning it is ill suited for use in a truck.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Do tell, what makes you think the 2.7 is being replaced? It was specifically designed for the F150 and is far from being obsolete. The 3.0 shares very little with the 2.7 and was designed for use in SUVs, meaning it is ill suited for use in a truck.
Written up some place with a ford engineer interview. The 3L is the 2.7 only reworked quite a bit.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
After our last trip up to Dillon and back, I've decided that this will be the last year with the 'Burb so a new truck is on my list of "things to do" once camping season ends in mid October (can't shop for a vehicle mid-season because it takes too long to get a vehicle set up for the kind of camping we do - at least a month.)

Shopping online I see lots of options and right now the F-150 CCSB with the 2.7 is at the top of my list. My only dilemma is that the ads for used trucks never state whether or not the truck has the 36 gallon tank which is a "must have" for me.

From what I've seen the extended range tank is a stand-alone option and not linked to any specific trim level or package. So other than by running the VIN or obtaining the original window sticker, is there any other way to know whether the truck has the 36 gallon tank? Any telltale sign? I know GM vehicles have a list of RPO codes that will show all the options the truck came with, does Ford have anything similar?

STREGA

Explorer
After our last trip up to Dillon and back, I've decided that this will be the last year with the 'Burb so a new truck is on my list of "things to do" once camping season ends in mid October (can't shop for a vehicle mid-season because it takes too long to get a vehicle set up for the kind of camping we do - at least a month.)

Shopping online I see lots of options and right now the F-150 CCSB with the 2.7 is at the top of my list. My only dilemma is that the ads for used trucks never state whether or not the truck has the 36 gallon tank which is a "must have" for me.

From what I've seen the extended range tank is a stand-alone option and not linked to any specific trim level or package. So other than by running the VIN or obtaining the original window sticker, is there any other way to know whether the truck has the 36 gallon tank? Any telltale sign? I know GM vehicles have a list of RPO codes that will show all the options the truck came with, does Ford have anything similar?

It looks like the max tow package comes with the 36 gallon tank. It is a little hard to decipher the Ford website on what you get or can’t get with certain packages.

coastalcop

Well, I actually happen to have my window sticker for my 150 (v8 model) at my desk, used this site below (ford direct used to handle it) and got a sticker that matches mine by VIN. Hope that helps. The 36 gal tank is a listed $445 option but wasnt directly attached to an equipment package.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Well, I actually happen to have my window sticker for my 150 (v8 model) at my desk, used this site below (ford direct used to handle it) and got a sticker that matches mine by VIN. Hope that helps. The 36 gal tank is a listed $445 option but wasnt directly attached to an equipment package.

A "better than nothing" option I suppose but when I'm shopping on-line, I'm not going to have time to run a bunch of VINs and wait for the reports to come back. I was hoping there was something physically present ON the truck so that when I looked at it I could say "if it has this, that means it has the 36 gallon tank." That way I can rule out the ones that don't before I get too involved in the buying process.

D

Deleted member 9101

Other than the max tow package, it's 50/50 if a truck has the larger tank. I opted for the smaller tank to save weight; I saw no sense in hauling extra fuel if I'm stopping every hour so people can use the restroom.

Also, it's pretty easy to add the tank to a truck that came with the smaller one.

ultraclyde

Observer
Most online ads around here list the VIN number, and you can quickly get a copy of the original window sticker from Ford's website somewhere. A little google work will find you a link to the look-up page, they tend to move it around some. I spent months comparing window stickers on used trucks before buying.

Also, all the Ford dealerships in this area have links in their ads to the original window stickers, even on used trucks, which makes it pretty simple if that's where you're looking.

At any rate, the window sticker is the quickest way to find the large tank without crawling under the truck with a tape. On my '13 there's no physical evidence of it otherwise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles